[Super Powers] Ice Slide?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Super Powers] Ice Slide?

I am new to Savage Worlds and am thinking about running an SW Supers game. I'm working on building some test powers and I've run into a bit of a snag...

How would one build a power like Iceman's Ice Slides? Doesn't seem to fit in Flight, nor Speed.

Also, would His powers be energy or Matter Control? Seems like it would fit more under Matter, but 'Cold" is under Energy.

Welcome to the forum!

When trying to translate narrative abilities into game rules, look at what the ability can actually do.
    Iceman's slides allow him to move around swiftly in three dimensions.
    It's a Flight power, with a "matter control (ice / water)" Trapping and a limitation for standing on a platform that he can be knocked off of. Probably a -1 Limitation.

More broadly, his power set is centered around Energy Control (Cold), which maxes out at 11 points without Master. In a four color or above game, that's going to be well within his power limit, leaving a bunch of points for Altered Form, Armor, Attack, Ranged, Flight, Matter Control, and a few other abilities. And then there are the things he can do because of Power Stunts.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Freemage
      Freemage commented
      Editing a comment
      Side-note: One of the best depictions of a "Power Stunt" for me actually was from Ice Man. He was fighting this fungal alien symbiote thing, and realized from the dialogue that it was highly dependent on moisture. So he broke an arm-sized hole in the window, triggered the defensive seals on the doors, then thrust his arm through the hole and began making tons of ice outside--which, of course, was made by drawing from the moisture in the room. Both of them dehydrated so badly that Bobby passed out and the fungal thing went dormant, at which point the rest of the team managed to deal with it and rescue him.

I agree entirely with ValhallaGH's comments, with one small proviso--I'd argue that Bobby doesn't use Energy Control (Cold) very much; it's much more Matter Control (Ice). He almost never just chills something--most of the time, he's creating sculptures, barriers, weapons and armor out of ice. The times he uses raw anti-heat are more akin to Power Stunts or Power Tricks. This doesn't actually dispute the notion that his ice-sliding is a form of Flight with Limitation, though. (Most likely, it would have both Limitation -1: Can be knocked off AND Contingent -1: Matter Control, in that if something jams his ice-making Powers, he also loses his ability to 'fly').

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a valid interpretation of the character, and one I almost included in my post. (Great minds, eh?)
      But at the end of the day it didn't affect the primary question, so I stopped where I was.
Working...
X