Healing and Arcane Background?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing and Arcane Background?

My D&D background keeps making me think that only clerics cast healing sells, not wizards. In SW does it matter what Arcane Background a character has when choosing Powers? Can a AB (Magic) spellcaster take Healing? Can a Psionicist?

Some settings restrict what powers a given AB has access to. By default, though, there are no restrictions on powers.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Unless a setting says otherwise, any Arcane Background can use any power.
      Most settings do say otherwise. Which is a good thing.

• dentris
      dentris commented
      Editing a comment
      Some settings also go one step further, forcing limitations on Powers depending on AB (which fortunatly reduce their PP cost by 1). For example, a biokinecist (psionics) might have the healing power on his list, but self only, or a good cleric might have the Light/Obscure power, but Light only.

As you might expect, the settings that limit power choices usually give AB Miracles healing, defensive, and support type powers. AB Magic and Weird Science usually get attack and utilitarian powers, and AB Psionics gets puppet, telekinesis, and the like.

Not a lot of settings that I know of used the Gifted AB (formerly called Super Powers), but I assume it would mostly get attack and utility powers as well.
    'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

A setting that comes to mind that, in my opinion, did an outstanding job on spell lists is Hellfrost. Saying that, while I liked that they specified the spell lists for us for each deity, what I really liked is that it felt like the deities were part of the setting. In many settings they feel like they are taped on and have no effect on the culture, but in Hellfrost they felt like a daily part of life for everyone. Not just clerics.

As said above, most settings take Healing away from Magic, but I have seen plenty of campaigns that never dictate any limitations and it never felt like they should have. When I GM, I have been leaning towards "trapping-based" casters. In some campaigns I had a different Spellcasting skill per trapping, but for the campaign that I am preparing for I am thinking about just using a mix of the Specialization rule from the core book and the Skill Focus rule from Freedom Squadron for trappings. Any character can get Healing, but they would need a trapping that would have it on that trapping's power list.

Comment

Working...
      X