Area of effect of unmodified Fear Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area of effect of unmodified Fear Power

There is a lack of description in the area of effect of the Fear Power (pg 161)

The modifiers say +2 gives a Medium burst template and +3 gives the large burst template. Does this imply that the unmodified power is the small burst template?

Nope. Single target.

Comment

So why no +1 for a small burst template? And this is quite a drop in effect from Deluxe version that was a Large burst template for the same 2 points. 3 more points for the same effect. Was Fear considered that overpowered?

Comment

Originally posted by Psitraveller View Post
        So why no +1 for a small burst template? And this is quite a drop in effect from Deluxe version that was a Large burst template for the same 2 points. 3 more points for the same effect. Was Fear considered that overpowered?
        Don't know what the developers head-space is on this, but if I had guess I'd say they don't consider SBT to be much different from MBT. Look at blast. You can affect a smaller area for NO cost reduction. The lack of distinction between SBT and MBT seems to carry over to fear, as well as confusion, conceal arcana, entangle, sloth, slumber, and stun.

I would argue that any of those latter powers could follow the example of blast and reduce their AE to a SBT for no cost reduction if it would be tactically beneficial.

That may be a question for the Official Answers Forum, though...
        Last edited by Deskepticon; 06-09-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

So why no +1 for a small burst template?
          No idea. But it's noteworthy that no powers have a SBT.
          And this is quite a drop in effect from Deluxe version that was a Large burst template for the same 2 points. 3 more points for the same effect. Was Fear considered that overpowered?
          Fear is a great way to remove large groups of Extras from a combat using a single power.
          Combat Extras usually have Spirit d4 or Spirit d6. That means they've only got a 25% or 50% chance to resist fear, changed to 18.75% or 16.7% if cast with a raise. That's a much better combat efficiency than blast from a Novice power.

That's probably why fear was made more expensive when affecting groups.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
          X