Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase rules SWADE

We had our first chase scene using the SWADE rules. I have some questions:

1. The Flee maneuver states you can attempt to Flee if there are for cards between you and the closest pursuer. Does this mean you need to be on the fifth card from the pursuer(i.e. pursuer, four blank cards then the quarry) or on the fourth from the pursuer?

2. It seems you can make your free maneuver roll to advance and then attempt the Flee maneuver if far enough ahead. Correct?

3. The Evade maneuver states the penalty applied to opponents and passengers lasts until the beginning of the players next turn. It seems all passengers wth no penalty can fire weapons then the driver could maneuver (Free)and Evade as an action giving opponents the penalty to hit them and, at the beginning of their next action, the driver allows passengers to fire before evading again. I'm not sure if this is correct as there would be no downside to evading, unless the driver has to declare they are evading before passengers can use ranged attacks, but I thought all characters could decide what order they will act if in the same vehicle.

Thanks for any clarification.☺

Welcome to the forum!

I had trouble understanding some of your questions. Please let me know if I didn't provide an answer to your query.

1. The Illustration example on page 114 shows how cards are counted. Gabe (left most card) is four cards away from the ninja (right most card), in a five card track (three "empty" cards between). Far enough to Flee, if he wanted to.

2. There are no "free maneuvers". There are maneuvers a character can perform as a free action, but those still have to be declared at the start of the turn. A character can declare, and attempt, multiple maneuvers during a turn in a Chase. If the character declared "Free Action Change Position" and "Flee if able" then that would be valid.

3. The Evade penalty lasts until the start of the vehicle's next turn. The penalty begins when the maneuver is used (no roll required). The driver could wait for his passengers to make attacks before using Evade, letting the passengers attack without penalty. The penalty generally only affects passengers that don't act on the driver's Action Card (on Hold, has own Action Card, etc.) or act after the driver has used Evade.
    Evade is a really good maneuver with an easily avoided drawback.

Good luck!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Originally posted by Willio View Post
      We had our first chase scene using the SWADE rules. I have some questions:
      1. The Flee maneuver states you can attempt to Flee if there are for cards between you and the closest pursuer. Does this mean you need to be on the fifth card from the pursuer(i.e. pursuer, four blank cards then the quarry) or on the fourth from the pursuer?
      The Flee maneuver asks for "four Chase Cards between himself and the closest foe" (not "four cards away" like on the example on pg. 114). So, I read it like pursuer, four blank cards, quarry.

3. The Evade maneuver states the penalty applied to opponents and passengers lasts until the beginning of the players next turn. It seems all passengers wth no penalty can fire weapons then the driver could maneuver (Free)and Evade as an action giving opponents the penalty to hit them and, at the beginning of their next action, the driver allows passengers to fire before evading again. I'm not sure if this is correct as there would be no downside to evading, unless the driver has to declare they are evading before passengers can use ranged attacks, but I thought all characters could decide what order they will act if in the same vehicle.
      As written, yes. Especially because you can clearly make sequences like "Change Position, then Attack" although being on the same card. Unfortunately, the Chase rules seem to rely on GM calls quite a bit until we get official clarifications after all the printing and publishing work.
      My GM call is that Evade and Hold Steady count for the whole turn including all other passengers acting on the same card and the driver has to declare these actions before anyone else on his card acts. Otherwise, there's no reason at all not to use Evade as a Free Action every turn (even when you need to Hold Steady, because that's also a free action and the rules don't say these are exclusive) except maybe when the pilot is also the attacker – either you're enemy acts before your next turn and gets a -2, or your enemy acts after your next turn, you Evade again and he gets a -2. Seems pointless...

Edit: Well, I guess going On Hold and interrupting the driver would work, but compared to Wild Attack where your opponent can get an advantage without interrupting, that still seems way too good...
      Last edited by Vasant; 06-08-2019, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Welcome! Chase is an elusive piece of the SWADE ruleset for me... This is not a direct answer, but I highly recommend you back the Savage Worlds Tutorial Videos Project, because Bobby is going to dedicate a whole portion to Chase and I bet he'll cover your question and many others. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...utorial-series

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Bobby is dedicated but he's not flawless. Sadly, Chases are one of the areas he's reliably gotten wrong.
      Working...
      X