Setting Rule - Heroic Effort

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Rule - Heroic Effort

I'm an old-time Deadlands Classic player, who just got into Reloaded - and we're having a lot of fun, the more "pulpy" feel of Savage Worlds works well with us. However, last session we've encountered a bit of a snag - one of the PCs got a heavy hit from a random Extra, and now he's at 3 Wounds for the rest of the adventure.

Now, we all understand that being nearly killed is something that should linger on and the -3 penalty to rolls is perfectly reasonable and understandable. We wand pulp, not super-hero gaming. However, this made the character totally useless unless they get a lucky break and cough up a lot of chips/bennies. The mechanics ares ending the player a message: you should sit this out, get to bed for 15+ days and recover before you can do anything. Or get more buddies with healing magic.

This is why we're considering the following Setting Rule:

Heroic Effort

Anytime a Wild Card suffers penalties due to Wounds and/or Fatigue, they may spend a Bennie before the roll. For that roll only the Wound/Fatigue penalties do not apply.
    My hope is to get the wounded PC's player an opportunity to chose one or two moments per session to do what they're good at without being penalised for trying to act. I'm on the fence since it's potentially eliminating 5 levels of modifiers, but it's tied to finite resource with an alternative use.

Has anyone had experience with changes like the one I'm considering? What are your thoughts?

It's a benny, make it worthwhile. When using a benny, add the penalty to the total instead of substracting it. Unless you want a gritty game, that would be a good incentive for heavily wounded characters to try something heroic instead of retreating. Setting rules are meant, among other things, to promote a certain behavior, and IMO, that would mean people soaking less and keeping their bennies to do awesome things while wounded. Not a bad idea.

Comment

• Jounichi
      Jounichi commented
      Editing a comment
      There's an Edge for that.

• Ndreare
      Ndreare commented
      Editing a comment
      Jounichi, what edge is that?

• Jounichi
      Jounichi commented
      Editing a comment
      Ndreare Don't Get 'im Riled! (introduced in Stone and a Hard Place) adds your character's wound penalties to melee damage rolls.

Between that and TAG's Pulp Rules (http://tripleacegames.com/Downloads/...PULP_RULES.pdf), I think there is already enough to do what the OP wants. And if he really wants to up the drama, there's always Blaze of Glory (RIFTS).

Red and Blue chips work really well in these situations. Adding +d6 to a Trait roll is a great way to be awesome despite horrific wounds. For settings without Red and Blue chips, that's not helpful, but you did explicitly mention Deadlands.

(Improved) Nerves of Steel also shines in these situations. I don't like hurting that. Though the difference between "ignore penalties for one roll" and "ignore penalties for all rolls" is pretty extreme.

Originally posted by Fnorder View Post
    Has anyone had experience with changes like the one I'm considering? What are your thoughts?
    For less than a -3, the character is better using the benny for rerolls.

At -3 or more, it's a good way to let a character shine for one roll. I'm not sure if it would be satisfying, but it seems like it would work as intended.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
    X