Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWADE - does blast deviation apply to Powers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWADE - does blast deviation apply to Powers?

SWADE - does blast deviation apply to Powers?

I find the Area Effect Attack and Deviation rules on p.97 unclear ...

Area Effects mentions "grenades, spell effects, breath weapons and other attacks that cover a large area"
    But the attacking with a blast template only mentions thrown weapons and breath attacks

Then in deviation, if the blast misses, it's 1d6" for thrown, and 2d6 for fired projectiles, with multipliers for medium, long and extreme ranges

So do failed powers deviate?
    And what's their dice? 1d6 or 2d6
    And the multiplier?

Originally posted by steveculshaw View Post
    So do failed powers deviate?
    And what's their dice? 1d6 or 2d6
    And the multiplier?
    They can, but it's complicated.

Powers only exist if there is a basic (TN 4) success to activate it.
    It's rare for there to be penalties that apply to hitting with a power but not to casting the power. If the power fails to cast then it doesn't exist. If the power fails to hit then it can deviate.
    Powers have to successfully cast and simultaneously fail to hit to deviate. This usually only happens if there are lighting / concealment penalties, but can happen with cover of the chosen center.

The range, in previous editions, was projectile but Adventure doesn't specify. Until clarification comes from PEG, it's a GM call, though the trappings should be considered. Throwing balls of fire, or vials of volatile compounds, is a thrown trapping while a lightning gun, fireball launcher, or magical "finger guns" have projectile trappings.

Range increments don't apply since powers have a flat range. Even the power modifier to increase range (Range +1/+2) just increases that value, it doesn't add increments. The multiplier will always be 1 since the effect is always at Short range.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      Powers only exist if there is a basic (TN 4) success to activate it.
      It's rare for there to be penalties that apply to hitting with a power but not to casting the power. If the power fails to cast then it doesn't exist. If the power fails to hit then it can deviate.
      Powers have to successfully cast and simultaneously fail to hit to deviate. This usually only happens if there are lighting / concealment penalties, but can happen with cover of the chosen center.
      So the character has to first make an AB trait roll, e.g. Faith for AB (Miracles) to cast the spell, e.g. Havoc
      Then there is a second (different?) trait roll to actually hit the chosen centre with the blast, so if it's pitch dark, you're on a -6

Am I reading this right?

... this seems grim for the AB caster having to make two rolls, when the archer only has to make a single Shooting trait roll ! ...

The range, in previous editions, was projectile but Adventure doesn't specify. Until clarification comes from PEG, it's a GM call, though the trappings should be considered. Throwing balls of fire, or vials of volatile compounds, is a thrown trapping while a lightning gun, fireball launcher, or magical "finger guns" have projectile trappings.
      Hmm, so the player should choose a trapping that plays to their skills, i.e. high Athletics, make the trapping a thrown flask, high Shooting, make it a "finger gun"

Range increments don't apply since powers have a flat range
      Yeap, that sounds good

And many thanks for the sterling service answering all my many, many questions

Comment

So the character has to first make an AB trait roll, e.g. Faith for AB (Miracles) to cast the spell, e.g. Havoc
        Then there is a second (different?) trait roll to actually hit the chosen centre with the blast, so if it's pitch dark, you're on a -6

Am I reading this right?
        Nope.

It's one roll that resolves two questions simultaneously.
        First, did the spell activate.
        Second, did it hit.

Casting blast isn't like throwing a grenade - it doesn't exist separately, so the character has to bring it into existence to hit with it. That's all one Action and one trait roll.
        See page 151, under Activation.

Hmm, so the player should choose a trapping that plays to their skills, i.e. high Athletics, make the trapping a thrown flask, high Shooting, make it a "finger gun"
        Nope. See the More on Trappings sidebar on page 150.

And many thanks for the sterling service answering all my many, many questions
        You're welcome. Glad to help.
        Last edited by ValhallaGH; 04-17-2019, 02:40 PM.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Again thanks for explaining

... I first got version 4.2 of the rules and was trying to learn them
          ... version 5.2 came out with a LOT of changes
          ... so now I'm constantly confused over quite what each rule is
          ... I've got some sort of Frankenfurter hybrid in my head !!

Comment

It's one roll that resolves two questions simultaneously.
            First, did the spell activate.
            Second, did it hit.
            More thinking on the two questions ...

Say the character had taken one Wound (so -1 to all Trait rolls), they are in the Dark (so -4 to use of powers) and trying to target a spell MBT at a location ...

Are they at ...
            (a) -1 to activating the spell , but -5 to targeting the location?
            (b) -5 to both activate and target the location?

I see option (a) as being more "realistic" ... so they roll their two dice, get an 8, so the spell activates, but it deviates to somewhere in the darkness

Comment

I see option (a) as being more "realistic" ... so they roll their two dice, get an 8, so the spell activates, but it deviates to somewhere in the darkness
              Now you've got it. The caster needs to roll 5+ on the dice for the spell to work, and needs to roll a 9+ to hit the target.
              Note that the Dark doesn't stop magic* from happening - it just makes it hard to hit the target.

*Barring unusual trappings. Because trappings matter.

Comment

Now you've got it. The caster needs to roll 5+ on the dice for the spell to work, and needs to roll a 9+ to hit the target.
                Note that the Dark doesn't stop magic* from happening - it just makes it hard to hit the target.

*Barring unusual trappings. Because trappings matter.
                Are there any other modifiers for not hit the target location, as opposed to making the spell activation harder ?

Comment

Sure.
                  If the chosen center of the blast template is behind cover then Cover would apply to the attack calculation.
                  Concealment applies, either from darkness or other source. Smoke, fog, leaves, magic, etc.
                  Probably other stuff, but it's situational enough that I'm not thinking of it.

Pretty much anything that would make it harder to shoot the area with a rocket launcher would also make it harder to shoot with a fireball, or other blast power.

Comment

Working...
                  X