Potential SWADE Companion Updates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential SWADE Companion Updates?

With the coming of an honest-to-goodness edition update in SWADE, is there a chance that the companions will get an update as well? Maybe a good, hard look at the Super Powers Companion, considering the second edition is already nearly 5 years old (And by extension, maybe an update of Necessary Evil, considering the last update for that is like 11 years old now.)

It's been confirmed in the SWADE Kickstarter's FAQ's, new editions of all the companions are indeed coming within the next year or so.

Comment

Have we heard if that's going to be another KS or just released as products?

Comment

• mikeZekim
        mikeZekim commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing has been announced

At first I thought "Yay! Updated books!" but since then I have looked at them and I wonder to myself "what is it about this book that begs an update?". An expansion to each would be great, especially with notes on what is different, but a full revision? I am not so sure that is necessary. However, if they are looking at changing costs and rules then I can see a revision.

Comment

Originally posted by SeeleyOne View Post
        At first I thought "Yay! Updated books!" but since then I have looked at them and I wonder to myself "what is it about this book that begs an update?". An expansion to each would be great, especially with notes on what is different, but a full revision? I am not so sure that is necessary. However, if they are looking at changing costs and rules then I can see a revision.
        The Fantasy Companion needs a revision. It was written at the end of the old Explorer's Edition rules (SWEE). The current version had a minor update to the Deluxe Edition rules (SWD).
        The races, equipment, powers, and mass battle rules desperately need to be brought in line with the core rules. The monsters could use tweaks and updates. The magic items are mostly okay, but I'm curious what Pinnacle would do with that extra decade of design experience.

The Horror Companion needs an update, but a fairly small one. I think PEG is using this as an opportunity to reexamine and rewrite that gem.

The Science Fiction and Superpowers companions are both about five years old but neither requires much adjustment to align with the new rules. The SPC needs some updates because of Charisma vanishing and the new Action cap. The SFC needs to ensure it's gear is in line with the core rules, and the vehicles will need an overhaul now that Front/Side/Rear armor is gone. Relatively small changes, though pervasive for the SFC.
        Neither book requires changes to the Setting Rules, and only minor changes to Edges.

My expectation is that the FC and HC will get full new books, and the SFC and SPC will get pdf updates and a downloadable "change list".
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          werenimal Removing Charisma comes to my mind. That's the most universal change, since all non-monster stats had a Charisma entry.

• Freemage
          Freemage commented
          Editing a comment
          I think SPC also needs to be brought into line on one other key point--the new "Active Skills vs. Resisting Attributes" philosophy. A LOT of the Powers in the SPC rely on having a specific Attribute cranked up (typically Spirit or Smarts). I'd like to see them become skill-based, instead to fit the overall design approach.

• Radecliffe
          Radecliffe commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless they have a lot of inventory laying around I don't see why they wouldn't update the books altogether and do a new print run. It doesn't make much sense not to in the long run.

I know they are updating all four. But I would like SPC2 updated first. then Horror Companion as those are the two I use most.

Fantasy Companion really offers nothing for me I cannot get from SWADE, so it will need to be a new book and Science Fiction companion is still very usable with SWADE so it could be done last.

For Fantasy I think a setting book would be something I want more.Something like updating Pirates of The Spanish Main or 50 Fathoms.

Comment

Mmmm... don't forget, PEG has plans for Martial Artist Companion as well, and I'd put money down on that coming out before anything else. The lack of any robust two-weapon fighting rules in Swade had me scratching my head, so I suspect all those juicy Edges are being held in reserve for the MAC.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            SeeleyOne Nah, no more additional attacks (Swade gets enough of those). More like unique tricks and techniques.

For starters, it's a bit odd that a second weapon doesn't improve your Parry, which IMHO makes more sense than +1 Fighting. In the very few historical cases of offhand weapon wielding, they were used primarily for defense, with the added bonus of also being a credible offensive threat (think main gauche; basically a buckler that can stab).

Other things might be an Edge that can pin shields, reducing a target's Parry/Cover bonus for a round. Or "flourishing" with one weapon to distract while you stab with the other (e.g. a Fighting Test and Fighting roll with no MAP).

Stuff like that.

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Deskepticon Re-read Ambidextrous.
            As for "flourishing", I think that was the idea behind the innate +1 Fighting.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            ValhallaGH Yeah, it's pretty likely I'm missing some nuance with the newer mechanics. Ambidextrous is a very good Edge for the two-weapon fighter, no doubt. And I do get the reason for +1 Fighting instead of +1 Parry (since that's what shields are for). I just have a bias toward historocity, I guess. It's a flaw.

Purely selfishly I'd like to see the SPC updated first because that sees most use at my table.

Comment

Working...
          X