Touch Attack and Powers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch Attack and Powers

Most of the powers in the SWADE now have a range of Smarts so the Touch Attack seems to have very limited uses. The only time I can see it used with a power is on page 170 with the Teleport Foe Modifier.

Would it be too powerful to create an Arcane Background that reduces all powers to Touch range and allow them to deliver the spell as part of either an Unarmed Fighting or Touch Attack without having to take a 2nd action to cast the spell? I would think that in such a case the Casting skill would be Limited by the Fighting Skill (the players uses the lesser of Fighting or Casting skill to make the unarmed attack AND activate the power).

So, is the trade-off no ranged powers enough to offset the single action to complete the casting/attack?

Limiting the range of powers to Touch is a big drawback, but there are still two principles at work here: successfully activating the power and then landing the blow.

So I wouldn't allow for both the spell and attack (touch) to share a single roll. Instead, I would eliminate the multiaction penalty when pairing a power with an attack roll.
    ...Furthermore, I would allow multiple powers to be delivered via a single touch attack (assuming the power was activated successfully).

So a standard turn might look like:
    --- One arcane roll, One fighting (touch) roll at -0 MAP,
    or
    --- Two arcane rolls, One fighting roll at -2 MAP (i.e., the powers inflict a MAP with each other, but neither power inflicts a MAP with the attack).

Comment

• Brickulos
      Brickulos commented
      Editing a comment
      a 4 would mean the power succeeded, but it may not successfully land the hit. I think it's reasonable to fold them together.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Brickulos I suppose that works too. But then each power would require a separate touch/attack... and what skill would you roll for that? Lowest of arcane or Fighting? If the arcane skill is lower, would it get the +2 for making a "touch only" attack?

It all gets pretty muddy pretty quickly.

Under my proposal the spell(s) and attack are distinctly separate, each using their appropriate skill. A "touch only" attack would give the +2 to Fighting only (which helps with the otherwise slim odds of making two+ rolls) and the power(s) would just need to hit TN 4.

• Deskepticon
      Deskepticon commented
      Editing a comment
      Brickulos Additionally, it creates a unique dynamic where you might fail your spell but still land the punch.

Which makes me think... maybe you should be able to "hold the charge" of a power for +1 PP if the Fighting roll fails.

I am always concerned when it takes two combined rolls to make a particular thing successful. If the character had d6 fighting and d6 faith they would only have a 23% chance of getting both a successful hit and successful spell against a target with Parry:6.

Comment

One roll to activate and touch is fine.

Look at the Bolt power. The Arcane Skill roll is used to both activate the power and hit the target. The Arcane skill shouldn't be Fighting, but a separate skill. That would avoid any wonkiness with different Fighting Edges interacting with the Arcane skill.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeZekim View Post
        One roll to activate and touch is fine.

Look at the Bolt power. The Arcane Skill roll is used to both activate the power and hit the target. The Arcane skill shouldn't be Fighting, but a separate skill. That would avoid any wonkiness with different Fighting Edges interacting with the Arcane skill.
        Yeah, but my proposed situation is slightly different. I want to let both the hand-to-hand damage and power effect be successful on the one unarmed attack. I think I am going to go with this:

Qi Attack: On one melee attack per turn the Qi Warrior may take a free action to activate a power with no additional roll. This attack is Limited and uses the lowest of the characters Fighting and Faith skills. On a success, the unarmed damage and the effect of the power are applied to the target. On a failure the Qi Warrior still spends one Power Point.

Comment

• mikeZekim
          mikeZekim commented
          Editing a comment
          You probably should specify if the damage from the attack and power is combined or applied separately.

Well, this is out in the wild now. I created a set of pre-gen characters. One of them uses these rules.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...e-Characters-1

Check them out if you are so inclined.

Thanks.

Comment

Stealing from an edition of Some Other Game System [TM], you could also rule that for a Ranged Spell that is turned into a Touch Attack, that the spell itself is 'held' if the attack misses--to an extent, the spell creates a charge on your hand that then is discharged when you touch someone, even if that touch comes later in the encounter.

Comment

Working...
          X