Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SWADE 4.1] Strong Willed and Fear Clarification

Alt Title: Fear and Loathing in Adventure Edition

Greetings everyone! Long time Savage fan and lurker. Decided to pop on and ask what is probably a pretty dumb question:

The Strong Willed edge (pg.51) obviously applies to the Fear spell, but does it also apply to the Fear effect as well? If not, would it be unreasonable to ask the DM to allow it to in a setting where non-spell fear rolls are uncommon?

Details:

Playing in a high-adventure campaign where the fear effect is rather uncommon (It's only shown up once across 4-5 months of play.) I like the edge Brave thematically for my character, yet it's hard to justify spending an entire edge on something that might only come up once more. I was thinking of pitching Strong Willed as an alternative. Yes, I'm aware that, rules as written, it only effects opposed rolls, and that the base fear effect is a trait roll. It just seems odd to me that it wouldn't apply in that situation, but maybe I'm asking for too much. Thoughts?

-Dagg

Strong Willed suggests the character won't budge on a contest of wills (it's kinda like the positive aspect of being stubborn).

The Fear Effect generally stems from things that are genuinely frightening without an overt desire to frighten. Seeing a mutilated corpse, or the sight of a dragon sleeping on its horde. Neither are "actively" trying to scare, so there is no battle-of-wills going on; a bloody corpse reminds us of our own mortality, and a dragon (in most lores) has a reputation that proceeds it.

But...
    if Fear Effects are extremely rare in your setting, you can always make table calls. You can also merge Strong-willed and Brave into one Edge. However, with these two Edges combined, the fear power is made a bit weaker, so you might want to compensate by lowering it's PP cost (or applying some other benefit).

Edit-
    Another option is to make Brave more appealing to players. Maybe the character who takes it gains a reputation as someone who isn't afraid of anything, so people approach him with proposals or offer better rewards because they know "he can handle it."
    Last edited by Deskepticon; 02-06-2019, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Originally posted by Dagger Tongue View Post
      The Strong Willed edge (pg.51) obviously applies to the Fear spell, but does it also apply to the Fear effect as well? If not, would it be unreasonable to ask the DM to allow it to in a setting where non-spell fear rolls are uncommon?
      No, it does not apply.
      It does not apply to the fear power and it shouldn't apply to resisting Fear effects.

Strong Willed applies when resisting opposed rolls with Spirit or Smarts.
      The fear power is not an opposed roll. The power causes a normal Fear check, and Brave is the only Edge that directly applies to resisting Fear, though Arcane Resistance would apply since the Fear check was caused by a power.
      Which brings me to the last point, that resisting Fear is already covered by Brave, which does an incredible job of it. The +2 to Fear rolls is a massive bonus, and the -2 to Fear Table results means that even a failure is unlikely to have permanent effects on the character.

I can certainly understand wanting to make your character more resistant to fear, and having a campaign that doesn't make Fear show up often enough to justify taking Brave, and wanting to get a bit more mileage out of an Edge you were already planning to take.
      But Edges fill a niche. Brave resist Fear. Strong Willed resists most Tests and some Powers. Arcane Resistance resists all powers, even helpful ones. Making one Edge expand into another Edge is a very slippery slope that can often have unintended and unexpected consequences.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Well I'll be. I was under the impression that the Fear spell was opposed casting vs. Spirit. Good to know that it's just a based fear roll. Might help, as the GM was a bit leery of it anyways.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

-Dagg

Comment

Working...
        X