SciFi Fluids Effects table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SciFi Fluids Effects table

I'm working on converting an Adventure to Savage Worlds. THe setting is a barbaric country has buried underneath it fantastic but dangerous ruins from an ancient alien space ship. One of the mechanics in the setting is the idea that people drink fluids found there to varying effects. I made a Savage version of it.

What do you think? Does it seem like the rewards are worth the risks? Does it seem like fun?

Sci-Fi Fluids

Roll Vigor at -2, If you succeed then you gain the effects of the Positive Column, but if you fail then you suffer the effects of the Negative table. By default all effects last an hour.

After an hour the imbiber suffers 2 levels of Fatigue and must roll Spirit or gain the Habit (minor) hindrance, this becomes the Major version if they already have the minor. The fatigue goes away at the rate of 1 per hour

A character may be cured of the addiction through certain magical abilities or crtain technologies
    Positive Negative
    1 You heal a wound, an injury or all fatigue

Raise: Heal everything
    You gain an injury (roll on the injury table)

Critical Failure: the flesh melts off your bones, you die
    2-3 You gain a die type to a random attribute

Raise: Gain 2 die types instead
    Lose a die type to a random Attribute

Critical Fail: 1 die type to all
    4-5 You gain a +2 bonus to one sense

Raise: Gain Alertness
    You have -2 to a sense

Crit Fail: You lose a sense permanently
    4 Gain a Combat Edge Go unconscious
    5 You Fall unconscious for 1d4 hours, if you are awoken you gain the effects of the Berserk edge for 1d4 rounds

During the time you are unconscious you see a vision and experience the entirety of another life. A life fille with hope and fulfillment.

If you remain unconscious for the full duration, gain an Advance
    You Fall unconscious for 1d4 hours, if you are awoken you gain the effects of the Berserk edge for 1d4 rounds

During the time you are unconscious you see a vision and experience the entirety of another life. A life filled with dread and sorrow and despair.

When you awake, you gain a minor Hindrance
    8 Grow claws (Str+d4) or improve a natural weapon you already have

Raise Permanent
    One of your arms withers and becomes useless

Critical Fail: Permanent
    9 Gain Wings

Raise: Permanent
    -2 Pace

Crit Fail: Permanent
    10 You grow younger by d10 years

Raise: you are immortal, you no longer suffer any effects of aging and will not grow older. You can still be killed by any other means though
    Gain the Elderly Hindrance, if you already have it, you die
    Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say, right?
    What?
    They scream “Oh, God, help me, I’m being mauled to death by a tiger.

Question 0: Is this for SWADE or SWD?
    1: Is it possible to get multiple doses of the same fluid (ie, once consumed, it produces the same effect every time), and if so, do you have to roll every time you drink it to determine if you get the benefit or malus? I had a bunch of questions after this one's answered, but honestly, this one turns out to be very crucial in determining which questions need to be asked.

Comment

• tigerguy786
      tigerguy786 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think they'd roll every time. The chemicals are THAT exotic and strange that the effect can change every time. They're really weird unidentified fluids from spaceships that have been sitting for around 10,000 years. They've mixed with other compounds from the pipes, other fluids from the ship, etc. There's no telling what is going to happen.

If I were playing in this game as part of an ongoing campaign, I would not want to take a chance on this table, for three reasons.

* The permanent penalties seem pretty bad, in an absolute sense. I wouldn't voluntarily roll on a table that may kill my character outright regardless of the possible rewards, unless there was some pivotal plot element involved. That's my personal preference - I typically spend many hours on creating my characters and I don't want to toss them away on a meaningless gamble. But I'm aware that not everyone will have the same attitude, and I suspect that's not going to be a major factor for you.

* The possible penalties seem bad relative to the possible benefits: Dying, permanently losing a sense, or permanently losing 2 pace, versus possibly gaining a single edge or advance (or the more dubious "benefit" of mutating into some bizarre clawed/winged monstrosity who's probably never going to be able to walk into a town again without causing problems) doesn't balance out IMHO.

* The Vigor roll is already at -2 to begin with, so the odds of getting a positive result at all are pretty grim for many characters.

If none of the effects were permanent, I would be more willing (although it would depend a lot on circumstances/personality of my character).

In a one-shot game, all bets are off. One-shots are the time to do crazy, stupid things - although preferably not including dying at the beginning of the session

Comment

Originally posted by tigerguy786 View Post
      Does it seem like the rewards are worth the risks? Does it seem like fun?
      No and No.
      Reward: +2 to a single sense / Alertness Edge; Risk: -2 to a single sense / complete loss of a sense. The Risks are greater than the rewards for almost every entry.
      The Vigor roll is -2, so more likely to fail than to succeed - average Extras will only succeed 1 in 6 times, so won't ever try unless they're crazy or desperate. Even for Wild Cards that's low success odds - an average Wild Card will succeed only 30% of the time, less than one third, and even a super-health (d12) Wild Card only succeeds 65%. That's too much failure to be fun for non-masochists.

What do you think?
      I think the table and the Trait roll need to be revisited.
      How does the source handle it? Do they use a saving throw of some kind? How likely are the player characters to succeed? Are the effects totally random? The way the source answered those questions sets a particular tone for the "potions", a tone that you're trying to emulate.

Assuming that the source resolution can't be used - possibly with minor modification - then I'd decide what tone and frequency you want these to be used. Are they largely beneficial vials of unknown mutagens, that usually work out well and are subsequently sought after and prized - like the Devil Fruit from One Piece - or are they horrible toxins that sometimes have beneficial effects so that only the desperate or mad will consume them (the current design), or are they totally random so that the brave or lucky are just as likely to consume them as the desperate and mad? Choose the tone you want and the mechanics will follow.

Good luck!
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• tigerguy786
        tigerguy786 commented
        Editing a comment
        The source has you roll percentile and there's 24 results plus a second table if you get 00 on the dice which are even bigger effects. The odds are that you won't get anything great. all the middle stuff (which are the most likely results) are between minor inconvenience to debilitating. There's a few great effects but you're chances of getting them are pretty low, I actually increased the chances of getting good stuff by quite a bit.

As far as in the context of who would use them: the fluids are basically drugs. That they have beneficial effects is well, a side effect more than the point. They get you all kinds of inebriated naturally.

So would making the effects totally random be better? maybe make the table more of a curve rather than an even result so that the most likely result is something fairly neutral?

Like...drinking a fluid gives a bonus to a random attribute and then you roll on the table? No Vigor roll needed.

So, rolling each time. First problem: Many benefits are situation-specific. Healing wounds, in particular, is utterly worthless if there's no injury. Many of the other non-permanent benefits are likely to see little or no use during the 1-hour duration they're effective in--but even the temporary penalties are likely to have an impact in the field.

Even if the odds on a roll were 50/50 of getting the success or failure result, AND the overall 'power' of the two columns were balanced (see ValhallaGH's post for more on that), the secondary effects (auto-Fatigue, possible crippling Hindrances on the follow-up roll) mean that you end up well in the negative category.

As a player, I wouldn't go near this table with a ten-foot dice tower.

(BTW, you didn't answer if this was for an SWD or SWADE game; if the Extra Effort rule is not in effect, then the table is much worse, because those penalties on the Attribute rolls are definite deal breakers.

Comment

After your feedback I'm going back to the drawing board
        What?

Comment

After your feedback I'm going back to the drawing board
          Wise.

Drugs that come with a great high and sometimes give super powers are fine. Drugs that come with a great high but make 30% of users blind and 20% dead, rerolled every use, are the kind of gutter-sweepings only used by the desperate, crazy, or naive.

It sounds like the source adventure didn't understand that, and gave the wrong game mechanics to a world element.
          What I might do is have them be drugs, and with each dose the character rolls Vigor. Critical Failure has them roll on the "bad effects" table, a Raise lets them roll on the "positive effects" table, and the character has a chemistry-fueled experience regardless.
          The idea being, no one takes these for the extreme effects but those extreme effects can happen (especially for Wild Cards) and can be a great bonus on top of the inebriation.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

A simple "magic potion" mechanic I've used is to provide both a bonus *and* a penalty for an overall zero sum benefit.
            ... For example, a +2 Armor bonus for "barkskin" might also restrict movement, imparting -2 to Agility rolls.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
              DoctorBoson commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably just –2 Pace. Any penalty to Agility is much more severe than a simple Armor bonus.

Semantics, though. There could be a +6 "stoneskin" that applies a –1 to Agility as well as the reduction to Pace!

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              DoctorBoson Perhaps you're right. +4 Armor would be a better fit.

Something I've noticed from reading all the comments on SWADE is that it seems to make a distinction between "-2 to Agility rolls" and "-2 to Agility and Agility-related skill rolls".

The above post uses the former. So dodging a grenade or doing a flip over a table are penalized, but not shooting a gun or climbing.

Thanks for the input.

For the record I am converting the Pathfinder Adventure called Iron Gods.

The only reason I'm even worried about it is that in the last book one of the important NPCs is addicted to the stuff and uses it.

It's true I could make whatever I want for him, but I like the idea that what he has can be theoretically attained by the PCs
            What?

Comment

Working...
            X