[SWADE] Linked guns / spitfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SWADE] Linked guns / spitfire

The example spitfire had 8 machine guns. The note on page 84 says to treat those as 2 groups of 4. The example on page 82 backs that up, the shooter rolls 3d8 at +2 to hit and +4 to damage.
    So, what's the point of having 2 sets of 4 guns? A spitfire has a crew of 1. If you take multiple actions, you can shoot the same linked group of 4 guns over and over.
    As far as I can tell, the only advantage is if you get an 11 on a vehicle crit hit (1/18 chance each hit that does wounds), losing one MG, you can switch to the other group of 4
    and you have more ammo.

Being able to fire two groups without taking multiple actions, I guess.

Comment

• ogbendog
      ogbendog commented
      Editing a comment
      I would assume it would still be a multiple action

Originally posted by ogbendog View Post
    So, what's the point of having 2 sets of 4 guns?
    Game Mechanics: Ammunition supply, multiple weapons in case of damage. Both of which you noted.
    Edit: Since the Spitfire ties all those guns to a single trigger, the pilot can fire both sets as a single Action. They're resolved as two sets of Linked machine guns, but all eight fire at once.

But it's important to remember that the Spitfire is a real fighter plane that really has eight machine guns. The Linked Weapons rules exist to explain how you can fire all of those guns without bogging down the game play.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 02-02-2019, 12:56 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I could see in a WWII game, an edge to fire a 2nd set of guns with the same facing and it not count for map. An aircraft two-gun kid varient

Comment

Originally posted by ogbendog View Post
        I could see in a WWII game, an edge to fire a 2nd set of guns with the same facing and it not count for map. An aircraft two-gun kid varient
        Sure, some kind of "Expert Gunner" edge would be great for such settings, letting a character fire multiple mounted weapons controlled from the same location.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Important to note: the Spitfire pilot rolls 3d8 for each wing. As a single action he can roll 3d8 twice to hit, adding +2 to hit and +4 to damage.

So having the two sets of guns means it can fire the quad-linked machine guns twice, instead of a single set of guns that could only fire once.
          Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord! Check out Expanded Wealth!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
            Important to note: the Spitfire pilot rolls 3d8 for each wing. As a single action he can roll 3d8 twice to hit, adding +2 to hit and +4 to damage.

So having the two sets of guns means it can fire the quad-linked machine guns twice, instead of a single set of guns that could only fire once.
            D'oh! Sorry, forgot that the Spitfire had all eight guns linked to a single trigger.

Yeah, a single Action allows the pilot to fire both sets of Quad-Linked Machine Guns. Three Shooting dice for the left wing and three more for the right wing, with a single Action. For literally double the fire power.
            Last edited by ValhallaGH; 02-02-2019, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I agree it should be that way, but is that RAW?

page 84, "Use the Linked Weapon rules from page 82 to divide guns into the largest possible blocks. Roll the machine guns on a Mustang as three sets of two, for example, and a Spit re as two sets of four."

"A pilot with d8 Shooting in a Spit re (8× machine-guns, RoF 3) rolls 3d8 for each wing, adding +2 to his Shooting total and +4 damage to those rounds that hit."

yes it is. Thanks !

Comment

Working...
              X