Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Support rules not actually say supporting is an action?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Support rules not actually say supporting is an action?

Couple of my friends were confused and didn't know how support worked during combat and I also saw that support does not actually say it takes an action to do.

From the Actions section of SWADE 4.1, page 92:

"Characters can choose from a multitude of actions on their turn. Common actions include Supporting allies, Testing foes, using a power, or attacking with Fighting or Shooting."
    (emphasis mine)

Admittedly the Support section of 106-107 does not call it out explicitly. Though the last section talking about using Support vs. Test does imply it since Tests are an action.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesG View Post
      From the Actions section of SWADE 4.1, page 92:

"Characters can choose from a multitude of actions on their turn. Common actions include Supporting allies, Testing foes, using a power, or attacking with Fighting or Shooting."
      (emphasis mine)

Admittedly the Support section of 106-107 does not call it out explicitly. Though the last section talking about using Support vs. Test does imply it since Tests are an action.
      All of those common actions require a die roll. They are, indeed, actions. Which means they can incur a MAP.

Comment

• JamesG
        JamesG commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you quoting me as if I disagree that the they are actions? I quoted SWADE page 92 to clearly illustrate the rules do in fact spell out that Support is an action, even if the Support section does not explicitly call it out.

Originally posted by Jounichi View Post

All of those common actions require a die roll. They are, indeed, actions. Which means they can incur a MAP.
      Not everything that is an action requires a die roll, and not all free actions can be done without letting the dice hit the table—changing position in a chase, for example, requires a maneuvering roll even as a free action. It sounds like it's worth putting "as an action" somewhere in the Support maneuver.
      Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

• Jounichi
        Jounichi commented
        Editing a comment
        It's poorly worded, then. The point is they're clearly actions, they all have die rolls associated with them, and because they have die rolls they can incur MAP.

(I never said only actions have die rolls. Reloading is an action and doesn't have a die roll associated with it. Running is an action, but doesn't add to the MAP.)

For that matter, the rules for Tests (p. 108) don't mention it being an action anywhere, either. Nor should it need to, since Tests are called out as actions on page 92.

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Jounichi Running is a Free Action that imposes -2 to all actions that turn. Page 92.

• Jounichi
        Jounichi commented
        Editing a comment
        The MAP doesn't apply to the run, then. I'm tired and have had a long weekend.

Common Sense and game design 101 would both dictate to me that Support must be an action - otherwise there's literally no reason for the PCs to not Support each other on everything, at every time, etc.

I do agree that it would probably be worthwhile stating explicitly that Support is an action if used in a combat context. Outside of combat (well, outside of initiative order anyway) what does or does not count as an "action" isn't really super relevant, which *might* be why they avoided explicitly calling it out as an action.

Either way - the rules would be a bit clearer if it were stated explicitly, but I can see the argument for it being too obvious to take up page space mentioning.

Comment

I cant see why you need it stated in several places. It clearly states in page 92 that it is indeed an action! Do PEGinc have to repeat it everywhere it talks about Supporting allies?
        For me the answer to that particular question is a soundly no.

Comment

• JamesG
          JamesG commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree.

I think everything is an action, unless specifically noted otherwise.

Comment

Working...
        X