SWADE and Deadlands questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWADE and Deadlands questions

A couple question for those who have played enough Deadlands to know how to convert a few things to SWADE: First off, should Joker's Wild still apply? With the different Benny system, it seems to me like that would make things a bit too crazy given that red and blue chips are more powerful than normal bennies. The other question I had is how many power points should weird science grant now? Still 20, or should it be double the new number and be 30? Along those lines, I was thinking of using the dynamic backlash table when rolling a 1 on weird science and the same table at a minus 2 on crit fails. Does that sound like it would be fair to people? (This is my first long running campaign and my first time using Deadlands)

What's the basis behind doubling the PP for weird science? I'd think you would be good just using the SWADE values for starting powers/PP for all the Abs.

Comment

• Brickulos
      Brickulos commented
      Editing a comment
      Deadlines AB are intended to have more power and stiffer drawback. Mad Scientists start with double PP because their devices explode catastrophically and they literally go insane.

Originally posted by SilverFox View Post
    A couple question for those who have played enough Deadlands to know how to convert a few things to SWADE:
    Alright, let's see what you have.

First off, should Joker's Wild still apply? With the different Benny system, it seems to me like that would make things a bit too crazy given that red and blue chips are more powerful than normal bennies.
    I don't see why not. Fate is a limited resource in Deadlands, and the posse is supposed to be up against the proverbial wall. Just knowing what I know of fear levels and what's happening to the world, it seems wholly appropriate to give the Marshal a little edge on them. On the flip side, fate can also run out for the Marshal.

The other question I had is how many power points should weird science grant now? Still 20, or should it be double the new number and be 30? Along those lines, I was thinking of using the dynamic backlash table when rolling a 1 on weird science and the same table at a minus 2 on crit fails. Does that sound like it would be fair to people?[/QUOTE]
    The fact Mad Scientists began with 20 power points is a factor of how Edges work, and not a simple doubling of the math. Each Arcane Background starts off with about an Edge's worth of advantages over their more vanilla counterparts. And that's after factoring in their new drawbacks. You could run all the ABs as-is in SWADE and the math would be fine, but you'd also lose out on some of the flavor.

Deadlands has its own malfunction rules for weird science, and you should try to stick to those. As for how that stacks up against the dynamic backlash in SWADE, and the old Deluxe malfunction rules DLR is balanced against, is a determination only you can make right now.

(This is my first long running campaign and my first time using Deadlands)
    Deadlands is an ambitious game to run. It was first written to bridge the gap between the first edition of Savage Worlds and Explorer's Edition. It introduced a bunch of new rules, and when Deluxe came out it cherry-picked which ones to follow and which ones to toss aside. Some of the Arcane Backgrounds are, as written, archaic and outdated. One is, according to some, nigh-unplayable without explicit help from the Marshal.

With the changes to Block in SWADE, you can probably get away with using Martial Artist/Warrior in SWADE and not the DLR Martial Arts. Fanning the Hammer can work well-enough as written. The action economy changes how reloading works for shoot-outs, so you'll have that to consider. Armor got a revamp. You'll probably want to boost the values of some items, and possibly even add values to items which didn't have any before.

Most of the ABs are fairly easy to convert. But, in my opinion, Blessed characters and Mad Scientists are the two hardest in the player's guide. And I wouldn't even consider messing with any of the others. Personally, I'd just run them as presented with one update: the default recovery for power points is 5/hour of rest instead of 1/hour. Except for Gifted (Chi Mastery). That needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Fortunately, you only have to worry about the ABs your players are interested in running with.

Comment

A couple question for those who have played enough Deadlands to know how to convert a few things to SWADE: First off, should Joker's Wild still apply? With the different Benny system, it seems to me like that would make things a bit too crazy given that red and blue chips are more powerful than normal bennies. The other question I had is how many power points should weird science grant now? Still 20, or should it be double the new number and be 30? Along those lines, I was thinking of using the dynamic backlash table when rolling a 1 on weird science and the same table at a minus 2 on crit fails. Does that sound like it would be fair to people? (This is my first long running campaign and my first time using Deadlands)
      Deadlands or Deadlands Reloaded?

Comment

Deadlands reloaded, forgot to specify that up front

Comment

You asked.
          Though many of my thoughts can be found in this thread on the same issue.
          First off, should Joker's Wild still apply?
          Yes. More Fate Chips means they get used more and with the additional new uses (replacement Action cards, restore five Power Points, reroll damage) players will need more of them if they want to do something besides Soak wounds.
          The other question I had is how many power points should weird science grant now? Still 20, or should it be double the new number and be 30? Along those lines, I was thinking of using the dynamic backlash table when rolling a 1 on weird science and the same table at a minus 2 on crit fails. Does that sound like it would be fair to people? (This is my first long running campaign and my first time using Deadlands)
          I'd stick with 20 and give them Power Surge for free when using both Dynamic Backlash and Dementia. Otherwise, you're making it weaker than all the other arcane background variants.
          Hucksters may lose a lot of the recharge rate of Magic but they still have the number of powers and Deal with the Devil is still absurdly powerful.
          Blessed may have to worry about Power Points and actually knowing powers, but their crises of faith are less severe, Sins are virtually gone, and their trappings are almost always undetectable.
          Martial Artists are about where they were, which is fine.
          Shamans are also unaffected, so doing fine.

The other four / six (depends upon how you count Hexslinging and Voudoo) arcane backgrounds are at least as powerful as their core rules counterparts. If Mad Scientists have to worry about Dynamic Backlash and Dementia then they need to be beefed up in compensation. +5 Power Points and some other benefit, is the minimal necessary improvement. I'd suggest adding in the Power Surge edge as well, calling it Moment of Insight, but that's a personal preference. Rapid Recharge, Mr. Fix It, or another related and thematic ability could easily fit just as well.
          I would not give them +15 PP because that's way too much power for the style and tone of the setting and their role in the world. New Science gizmos would have too much endurance and too many viable options with 30 to 50 Power Points before Legendary, when their PP become limited solely by their advances.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Thanks, these replies have been helpful. I'll keep the Joker's wild rule and do 20 PP along with Power Surge for free for the Mad Scientist like you were suggesting. Any thoughts on the best way to do backlash? I can always just use the rules from DLR, but I thought the Dynamic Backlash table sounded more interesting than just having gadgets blowing up every time something goes wrong with them.

Comment

If you have the Smith & Robards book then I'd recommend you use the revised Malfunctions in there. They're pretty fun and vary pretty widely for a given device, from an ongoing -1 to catastrophic explosion.

If you don't have S&R then I'd suggest picking it up. If you can't for some reason then Dynamic Backlash is also interesting.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Oh cool, I'll have to take a look into that. I don't have it at the moment, so I will probably use Dynamic Backlash for the time being and see how far my players lean into the mad scientist thing, but if they do I'll probably pick that up.

Comment

Working...
                X