(SWADE) Slingshot/Sling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (SWADE) Slingshot/Sling

Would the Sling range weapon also work for a slingshot?

The sling is a athletics/thrown weapon while the slingshot would be a shooting weapon? Do about 2d4 damage? Any suggestions for ranges?

Comment

I would us the same ranges.

Comment

• fanchergw
        fanchergw commented
        Editing a comment
        I would agree that the ranges listed for a Sling make sense for a slingshot. (I used slingshots a lot as a kid.) However, an actual sling has much greater range - easily equivalent to a bow. For gaming purposes in SW, I have always doubled the listed ranges to get them to make a bit more sense.

Regards, Gordon

After a little Googling, I guess it depends on what you mean by "slingshot", and in what era.

A Little Rascals style slingshot - just a Y-shaped piece of wood with old-fashioned rubber - would probably match a sling for range.

One made with the better modern materials and an arm brace design (a "Wrist Rocket") would have better range, more like a Flintlock pistol (5/10/20). Also more expensive.

Shooting seems more reasonable than Athletics for a slingshot.

Damage is trickier. A simple slingshot isn't going to be as deadly as a derringer, IMHO, but for simplicity's sake, 2d4 is probably fine. An advanced slingshot would be more like the sling, with Str+d4 damage. I'd be tempted to tweak the damage to -1 for each. Also Minimum Str would be d4 and d6, respectively.
      Last edited by Oneiros; 01-23-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Brickulos
        Brickulos commented
        Editing a comment
        The wrist rocket might do 2d4+1

• Oneiros
        Oneiros commented
        Editing a comment
        Brickulos Do you think it would do that for users of different Strengths? Or would it be more like a simple bow, where most people can make use of its maximum pull?

• Brickulos
        Brickulos commented
        Editing a comment
        There is certainly an upper limit on how much force can be eked from a slingshot. The bow is an apt comparison.

There was some news in 2017 regarding historical slings

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...gnum-scotland/

It has always seemed to me that slings were not given their due (in both range and damage). This is not an issue specific to SWADE (or Savage Worlds).

Per that article, a slinger could hit a target at 130 yards. Max range in SWADE is 32 yards.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
        DoctorBoson commented
        Editing a comment
        Since slings use Shooting, they can benefit from Extreme Range, which maxes out at 64"—almost exactly 130 yards.

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        While DoctorBoson is incorrect, slings use Athletics: throwing, the Extreme Range rules could be applied to slings. The character isn't throwing the projectile, so Extreme Range could be applied.
        Also noteworthy that weapon ranges in Savage Worlds tend to be really short. An M-16 can accurately fire a lot further than the 192 yards of Long Range. The ranges work well on a tabletop with miniatures but not so well when discussing real ranges and performance.

Also, welcome to the forum!

• trechriron
        trechriron commented
        Editing a comment
        And to add to ValhallaGM's noteworthy point, probably no reason that you couldn't increase the ranges for your game. The chase rules and combat rules talk about increasing scale of the 1" (IIRC) so you could use those longer ranges if that tickled your fancy.

love to get some thoughts on making the damage more reasonable also.

There are a number of YouTube videos of experts showing how deadly slings could be. Not sure why this weapon seems short changed in so many RPGs.

Comment

Originally posted by bduffey View Post
        love to get some thoughts on making the damage more reasonable also.
        Wait, you want to make them weaker!?

I can understand that. Str+d4 is really darn strong for a ranged weapon. Average damage ranging from 6.7 to 10.4 (up to 12.4 with Legendary Strength) is really good, much better than the bows and crossbows that it would normally compete with (averaging 8.4 each) and comparable to the heavy crossbow on the high end (10.2). The only non-firearm that's consistently better is the Compound Bow, using technology three millennia more advanced. On the firearm side, it's competitive with assault rifle damage.
        Still, slings are relatively niche, linked to the minor combat skill Athletics, and relatively short range. They're amazing for Strength based combatants that use one other weapon (great sword, spear, etc), but not so much that they need to be nerfed.

If you mean making slings stronger then you're worried about a non-problem. Acing makes all weapon damage rolls dangerous, and any ranged weapon that gets to add Strength is extremely dangerous.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Please see my previous posts. Based on evidence I provided, slings are generally underpowered in RPGs, both in respect to range and damage. I've seen this going back decades in d&d, preserved between editions, etc. my feeling is a sling should have a long range in excess of 100 yards and damage close to that of a hand gun.

I hadn't actually run the numbers, so I appreciate the values you provided. Thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by bduffey View Post
            my feeling is a sling should have a long range in excess of 100 yards and damage close to that of a hand gun.
            Damage is comparable to handguns, if not better. Handguns range from 2d4 to 2d8 damage, usually 2d6, dealing averages of 6.7 to 10.2 damage, but usually 8.4. The 6.7 to 10.4 range of damage for the sling is comparable.
            AP gives handguns an advantage against armored foes, but that strikes me as reasonable and is probably acceptable all around.
            Not being firearms gives slings an advantage against ballistic armored foes. Which is a fun surprise.

Range is going to be an issue for you.
            Personally, I'm fine with Range 10/20/40 for slings - bows have longer range and require less strength for their maximum damage value, but can't deal as much damage as the sling. That's going to be a bit shorter than you stated but keeps the sling from being simply better than bows.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
            X