Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Deck

Hello,

There's a topic about adventure cards over in the official answers forum but I'm not sure this post belongs there because, well, that's the official interpretations forum and I'm more curious about the group-sense of it than I am an official ruling (though if one of those comes along, great!)

Background: There are a couple of cards in the deck that different GMs in our group treat differently. An example is the Angry Mob card which specifies an angry mob of locals joins the battle on the side of the players.

One GM, when this is played on her, figures out a way of having the mob show up, coming up with a plausible backstory for it on the fly.

Another GM has on a couple of cases, watered it down or simply denied the card e.g. "You're in the middle of nowhere - there's simply nobody around to help!" or "Well, they're starting from town o foot 3 miles away. Good luck with that!"

I "get" both of their arguments. The former looks at it a challenge to come up with a way to execute the card. The latter, if no answer is obvious, simply fobs off the card in the interest of keeping the action going.

Question: How rigorously are the cards designed to be used? Yeh, the rules are a guideline and it's the GM's game so anything goes - but I'm trying to get a group sense of the intent of the cards in terms of how they're "executed".

Thoughts?

Tx!

- Bill

Originally posted by worj View Post
    Question: How rigorously are the cards designed to be used? Yeh, the rules are a guideline and it's the GM's game so anything goes - but I'm trying to get a group sense of the intent of the cards in terms of how they're "executed".

Thoughts?
    They're a limited resource, even more so than a Benny. As such, if they're allowed then they should be good.
    I have no trouble editing my deck to remove cards that I don't want to allow - for style and tone, for narrative reasons, because I'm tired of the number of Enemies / Love Interests, etc. - but any cards that get left in the deck I have committed to allowing. Sometimes that commitment was accidental and undesired but I am committed, for now. If a player plays one and I have no explanation for what it says then I'll often solicit explanations from the players (once a posse of angry male kinfolk were chasing after one of the PCs and mistook the villains for that character), but sometimes it just makes no sense: a rampaging mob of townsfolk came through screaming about burning witches and not attacking the heroes.

Saying the mob doesn't start moving until the card is played is just a dick move. The card says they arrive, implying they started moving a lot earlier. Does he also not allow "Uh Oh" because creatures don't spontaneously grow 2 sizes? He should have not allowed the card to be played, instead of wasting the play.

Anyway, if a card is in the active deck then it needs to honored. The players may use it at a bad time, or a bad place, but that's their choice. As the GM that allowed them, I have to deal with the complications they create.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

There's another card that lets players completely bypass a creatures weaknesses for the duration of one battle. As a GM, I despise that card. Eventually, I removed it from the adventure deck and threw it away.

Comment

As the previous posters said. If the GM doesn´t like a card or several the GM can easely remove them from the deck (should be done prior to the actual game and not during the game as Valhalla GH stated).
        If you dont have any players with the AB you could also remove those cards so they are not getting drawn.

Comment

A wasted card should at the very least be compensated. I have no problems with being told no, but if it's my only card, I expect to get something out of it. Even an extra benny as a ''good try'' reward would be fine by me.

Comment

All,

Thanks for your observations!

I think the conclusion our (gaming) group may be moving towards is to have the GM cull the deck of any utterly undesired cards before the game begins (e.g. the Arcane Inspiration power points card in a hard sci fi game) and execute all remaining cards when they are played.

If the GM can't figure out how to make the card playable, ask the players.

If the players and GM together can't come up with a way to execute the card without things jumping the shark, write it off as something never again to be spoken of and give the player a bennie for stumping the GM (i.e. like Dentris said...)

Tx!

- Bill

Comment

Working...
            X