Number of Adventures in a PPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Adventures in a PPC

I've been working on a plot point campaign that I hope to be able to publish someday, but I've been wondering: What do you considering to be the minimum number of adventures a PPC should have to be 'worth it'?

The standard I've seen is around 10–12 but that really depends on who you ask and how often folks play (and what the intended scope of your campaign is—short campaigns for cheap products might only need to be 2–4 sessions).
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

It also depends on the number of potential sidequests, one-pages and other filler adventures you want to include in the document. If you only have 3 or 4 steps in the PPC, it's fine, but I would add a bunch of other stand-alone adventures that can be used at any time.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        Originally posted by serquet View Post
        I've been working on a plot point campaign that I hope to be able to publish someday, but I've been wondering: What do you considering to be the minimum number of adventures a PPC should have to be 'worth it'?
        The core campaign should naturally generate at least eight required adventures. If you've got fifteen or more then you've probably made the campaign too convoluted (or stuck some savage tales in and pretended they were plot points). At six or less it feels more like half of a campaign.
        I also expect twenty to forty savage tales to supplement the campaign and showcase the setting.

If a PPC doesn't have at least those 28 adventures (8 plot points and 20 savage tales) then I consider it to be underdeveloped and (probably) over priced.
        I have seen a PPC with a fantastic adventure generator and only 10 savage tales that felt complete. But I've seen half a dozen that tried to do the same and failed to have an adequate generator.

Good luck!
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Zadmar
          Zadmar commented
          Editing a comment
          So here's a question for you: I am updating SotGH to SWADE, and will need to update the One Sheets as well. Do you think it would be worth adding them to the main book as Savage Tales?

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Zadmar I suspect you should; too few adventures was my only complaint about SotGH. I'm not sure how much effort it would be to reformat them to fit into the book, so it may not be worth it on your end, and that's fine.

• Zadmar
          Zadmar commented
          Editing a comment
          ValhallaGH it will require some effort, but I will need to update all of the adventures anyway, so it's not too bad.

Holy moley. 28 seems like a massive number of adventures to me.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really. It's enough that I'll be able to get about a year of game play out of the campaign book. If my players inspire me to write my own adventures then having all those examples will help me keep to the tone and style of the campaign and setting.

I should note that PEG typically has around 12 Plot Points and thirty to forty Savage Tales in a PPC, which usually works out really well. In the case of Last Sons, it was more like 80 savage tales; which was a little too much for one campaign.

• stadi
          stadi commented
          Editing a comment
          Not necessarily. Leviathan (The Last Parsec) has 8 Plot Points and 9 Savage Tales. It might not be the longest campaign but it feels complete. You not always want to commit yourself for years because of a campaign. And if you really like it and don't want it to stop, then generate / write new ones.

The number of adventures isn't important.

For me, a good PPC has a few features.

1) The beginning adventure brings the party together and gives them a reason to stay together. That reason doesn't have to be the eventual goal of the PPC.

2) The last adventure should serve as the final chapter of the campaign.

3) The adventures in the first third of the PPC should not be lead to each other. They should be used to setup elements that will come in play later in the campaign. The players shouldn't even realize that those adventure are part of the main storyline.

The adventures in the middle third of the PPC should start to understand the direction of the main plotline and discover what they need to do to resolve it. The adventures are more directly linked but should allow enough space for side-quests.

The adventures in the final third of the PPC should lead into each other as the finally approaches. A few side-quests are possible, but there should be a sense of time pressure.

4) Each adventure in the PPC has clear entry criteria such as "When the party is Seasoned" that will trigger it.

5) A large number of Savage Tales to fill in the dead space. These don't have to be detailed, usually 4-5 paragraphs will be enough to spark the imagination.

6) An adventure generator.

Comment

I mostly agree with mikeZekim, the last two points are the only place i would give some leeway. You would need either a large number of Tales or a GOOD generator. You do want several Tales to plant seeds. They may also provide help or clues to the main plot but are not required.

I am just wrapping up The Worm's Turn (https://www.peginc.com/store/hell-on...he-worms-turn/) and the players are loving the final tie-together. All those separate initial PPs are coming together and as each one was tied together they were "OH MAN! That is awesome beyond belief!" Last session should be next week where we determine if one of them has to sacrifice to achieve the final goal.
          I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

I'd expect around 10-12 Plot Points in a full-length campaign, but there's no reason why you can't make it shorter. GMs are supposed to customize the Plot Point campaign by inserting Savage Tales, otherwise the storyline tends to feel very linear (jumping from one crisis to the next), so the number of Plot Points will generally dictate the minimum length of the campaign rather than the maximum.

I'm going to run Shadow of the Demon Lord for my group soon, and one of the big selling points for us is the short length of the campaigns (11 sessions). We only meet up twice per month, and there are loads of different games and settings we'd like to try, so a shorter campaign suits us really well. You could do the same sort of thing in Savage Worlds by offering a half-length campaign with 5-6 Plot Points -- those wanting to run a longer campaign could simply insert more Savage Tales.

In Saga of the Goblin Horde, I offered 10 Plot Points, 16 adventure seeds (each just a short paragraph), and an adventure generator. Instead of Savage Tales, I released a bunch of One Sheets (there are currently 15 of them). One Sheets can be used to flesh out the campaign world in the same way as Savage Tales, but releasing each adventure as a standalone product helps keep your setting in the public eye.

I found that some of my One Sheets ended up being sequels to earlier One Sheets, so one of my current projects is a trilogy of adventures that follow on from each other. They can be used as independent adventures, or woven into the larger Plot Point campaign, or even run as a mini Plot Point campaign in their own right. I think this could be quite fun for people who want to play several sessions, without running a full-length campaign.
            My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

Working...
            X