Mystical Monk Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystical Monk Type

This has probably been wrung to death, but which AB would you use for a Mystical Monk?

I was thinking psychic, but the brain burn doesn't sit well with me.

Well, Adept uses Miracles, so that's an obvious one. But Psionics makes sense too. If Brainburn bothers you, you could adapt it to something more thematically appropriate.

Comment

Also thought about Super powers from the core book and just add the extra power edge a few times. That might work better.

Comment

That works too. In fact, that's basically how PEG handled it in Deadlands Reloaded. They renamed it Arcane Background Chi Mastery and tied the skills to Spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brickulos View Post
          That works too. In fact, that's basically how PEG handled it in Deadlands Reloaded. They renamed it Arcane Background Chi Mastery and tied the skills to Spirit.
          This
          The DLR Chi Martial Artist is exactly the mystical monk type you are looking for.
          Check The Flood Player's Guide as it has the stuff you need in it and is a free download PEGINC https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/p...TheFloodPG.pdf
          Like what you have read in someone's post? Hit that like button and let everyone know.

I run Deadlands Reloaded. One of my players writes an incharacter blog here --> http://ballgownsandbattleskirts.blog...deadlands.html

Comment

Originally posted by zorgon60 View Post
            This has probably been wrung to death, but which AB would you use for a Mystical Monk?

I was thinking psychic, but the brain burn doesn't sit well with me.
            The core rules default is Miracles (see the Adept edge), due to the lack of backlash for rolling a 1 combined with a strict code of behavior to maintain the powers. Combined with the free action activation from Adept, it is nearly perfect for something like D&D monks.

If you want something more ... Dragonball then Super Powers works really well (as already mentioned). It has even more Power Points, no backlash for rolling a 1, and each new power requires its own mastery as the character perfects that technique. If you don't like the idea of having six or more arcane skills to worry about then you could consolidate it into one or two skills at the price of tying the skill(s) to an Attribute.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

If you want something more ... Dragonball then Super Powers works really well (as already mentioned). It has even more Power Points, no backlash for rolling a 1, and each new power requires its own mastery as the character perfects that technique.
              This was more of what I was going for, but more low powered. And there are some "normies" in the group, so it's good to keep him close to normal.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                Dragonball, not Z, GT, or Super (or even the movies).
                Learning to throw a magic ball of ki at foes is a big deal, and getting good with it takes a lot of practice.
                Tekken and Street Fighter would also be decent references. Clearly super-human, but not beyond the ability of normal humans to deal wit it.
            Working...
            X