Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive Racial Traits: Flight [SWADEv4 p.19]

I've just noticed this discrepancy.

The Value Column shows a cost of 4/12 but the Ability explanation states [Italics and Bold are my own]:
    "[presumably for 4 points] The species can fly at Pace 12 and “run” for extra movement as usual. For 6 points, the being can fly at Pace 24 and may “run” for 2d6″ of additional movement. Maneuvering uses the Athletics skill. Racial flight presumes some kind of wings which can be targeted or fouled (a Bound or Entangled character cannot fly)."

So should the Value column be 4/6, as per the wording, or 4/12, and the wording needs altering to 12 points?

Please clarify.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Edit: I've now also noticed that the Example Celestials and Guardians shows the Angels as paying 2 points for Flight Pace 12........even more confusion!
    Last edited by kaptain; 01-17-2019, 11:56 AM.

Good typo catch. On a design level, though, 12 points for 24" flight seems like too much to me; an 8 point ability (in line with Construct) makes a lot more sense, especially as it's double Pace.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
      DoctorBoson commented
      Editing a comment
      ValhallaGH The SPC2 ability is rated at 4 points for Pace × 2 (generally 12") and 8 points for Pace × 4 (generally 24") and a –1 to hit in flight, and there's no intrinsic restriction on flight when Bound.

The SPC2's flight might be worth increasing in price a little depending on how it's handled in the SWADE revision, but SWADE's racial flight ability shouldn't be priced much higher than 8 points.

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      DoctorBoson I was referencing the Super Powers racial ability also on the race creation chart. That prices SPC powers at 2 + the power cost. By that formula, SPC flight would cost 6 / 10 racial ability points.
      Which doesn't match the earlier values (2 / 6) or the current values (4 / 12).

• DoctorBoson
      DoctorBoson commented
      Editing a comment
      OH, I see what you're saying.

In that case, it's worth noting that the SPC's ability still imposes that –2 to be hit, but on top of that super-powered flight is intended to be much faster than walking Pace; in that book's logic, 48" flight is 120 MPH, which means the level below it (4 × Pace, generally 24" flight) is a 60 MPH flight that doesn't allow for running—the 2 × Pace follows the same formula to place the user at a 30 MPH flight.

Compared to the racial flight ability—8 MPH, with an average of 10 MPH "running" (24 MPH when "sprinting"), or 16 MPH with a 20 MPH average "run" (48 MPH "sprint")—I think a 4/8 cost is fair.

The cost breakdown: 4 points = up to 24 MPH, 6 points = more casual 30 MPH with no bound restriction, 8 = up to 48 MPH, 10 = more casual 60 MPH, no bound restriction, and a penalty to hit.

Originally posted by kaptain View Post
    I've just noticed this discrepancy.
    Edit: I've now also noticed that the Example Celestials and Guardians shows the Angels as paying 2 points for Flight Pace 12........even more confusion!
    Right. In all previous versions, Flight was priced at 2 / 6. Which is why Celestials paid 2 for it, that was the price when that example was written.

Not sure why the prices were doubled in v4.0, or if that was a mistake. Hopefully Shane will notice this.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• DoctorBoson
      DoctorBoson commented
      Editing a comment
      It was doubled because 2 points was far too cheap for racial flight, especially at Pace 12 (up to 18 with running). Compared to something like Pace—2 points for +2 Pace and a slightly increased running die—it's strictly better and the price should rightfully reflect that.

The 4 point cost makes much more sense, but 12 points for the Pace 24 flight seems like too much. Lowering the second tier to 8 (or maybe 10) points makes more sense to me.

• wmarshal
      wmarshal commented
      Editing a comment
      I was fine with the 2pt cost, but I can understand a higher cost. On the other hand when a race has flight that's usually due to large wings. If most races in a setting don't fly your character will be very noticeable, even from a distance. If the Celestials and Avions have to be rebalanced perhaps they can take a situational penalty to their Stealth rolls to "blend into the crowd."

It should be 2/4/6: Flight (1): The species can fly at Pace 6 (or 12 for 4 points) and run for extra movement as usual. For 6 points, the being can fly at Pace 24 and may Run for 2d6″ of additional movement. Maneuvering uses the Athletics skill. Racial flight presumes some kind of wings which can be targeted or fouled (a Bound or Entangled character cannot fly).

Sorry, folks! Fixed. I'll be producing a 4.1 update at some point with this and a few other issues.

Comment

Working...
    X