Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SWADE v4] PDF Layers

A few things I noticed when printing out v4:

Page 105 with "Foreground Graphics" layer hidden: The word "magazine," appears where the graphic normally obscures it in the top right of the page.

The following are extremely nit-picky and probably non-issues:
    The fasteners in the chapter title graphics on pages 5,6,9,65,87,111,147,175 and 193 are part of the graphic and not on the "Fasteners" layer.
    The fasteners in the following background layer graphics on pages 2,3,18,22,55,68,90,130 and 136 are part of the graphic and not on the "Fasteners" layer.

Otherwise printed out nicely - thanks for the ability to selectively chop out backgrounds and graphics!

Edit: A few more items.

Page 181: The text block about Wild Cards vanishes along with the surrounding graphic when "Foreground graphics" are turned off. The text should remain.

Page 121: When the graphic is hidden, the text "Example Card Here" is revealed.

Page 74: "M1911 Colt .45" is not part of the graphic, unlike the text for the Tommy Gun. Also an extra gray square in the bottom right of the graphic.

Images obscure page numbers on pages 70,71,77,85,107,118, 121
    Last edited by Holgaph; 01-16-2019, 04:06 AM.

This should be posted in the latest "SWADE feedback" forum, when it opens (if it hasn't already).
    Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
    Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
    And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels

Comment

• Oneiros
      Oneiros commented
      Editing a comment
      Per the 4.0 change list and KS update, there won't be a feedback forum for 4.0.

They have been addressed and will be updated in the next PDF when Shane releases it. Just note the paper clip on the Chapter Header graphic is part of the over all graphic so that won't change. The other free floating ones and tape have. The page number behind those graphics was a design choice and won't be altered.

Comment

Originally posted by PEGThomas View Post
      They have been addressed and will be updated in the next PDF when Shane releases it. Just note the paper clip on the Chapter Header graphic is part of the over all graphic so that won't change. The other free floating ones and tape have. The page number behind those graphics was a design choice and won't be altered.
      Let me just hijack this thread and ask if you guys could maybe check the PDF's image compression and optimization? The book's cover looks great and is absolutely clear, but all the inside images are really blurry, kinda low resolution and full of artifacts. I know this is probably to keep the file size manageable, but the thing is that it wasn't an issue in the Deluxe Edition PDF and I think there are ways of compressing the file without losing that much image quality. I'm pretty sure someone else also brought attention to this in one of the feedback forums, so it isn't just me. This new edition is just gorgeous, but the poorly compressed inside images are really doing a disservice to the work of the artists, graphic designers and layout team.
      "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• ValhallaGH
        ValhallaGH commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually when I encounter those kinds of errors, there's been some data corruption in the download. Downloading a new copy usually fixes it.

• Augusto Antunes
        Augusto Antunes commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the reply, man! I tried downloading it again from both the PEG website and DriveThruRPG. Still looks the same. Every single previous version of the file had looked the same.

We use the exact same compression settings for everything, and aren't seeing blurry images inside or getting those reports from anyone else. Might it be on your end? What are you looking at the PDF on?

Comment

Originally posted by PEGShane View Post
        We use the exact same compression settings for everything, and aren't seeing blurry images inside or getting those reports from anyone else. Might it be on your end? What are you looking at the PDF on?
        I'm on a Mac with a Retina display. I thought the Retina display could be the culprit at first, but like I said, I have no issues with the images in the Deluxe Edition PDF and the SWADE cover image is perfectly clear. Only the inside images seem lower quality and poorly compressed. I first tried viewing it in Apple's Preview app, which I know can be unreliable with certain PDFs, so I also tried Foxit Reader. It looks exactly the same in both readers. I even downloaded and reinstalled Adobe Acrobat to see if there was any difference, and it still looks the same. It's also the same when I view the file in my browser. I already downloaded the PDF multiple times from both the PEG store and DriveThruRPG.

I made a comparison image from some screen caps to show you what I mean and what I'm seeing. I attached it to this post. Can you see the difference in image quality between the cover and the inside images? Can you see the compression artifacts on the inside images?

Even if the issue is in fact on my end (I'm not letting the Retina display off the hook just yet), I just want some confirmation and to find out what's actually going on.

Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 01-18-2019, 10:31 PM.
        "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• Augusto Antunes
          Augusto Antunes commented
          Editing a comment
          PEGShane - I forgot to comment on it this past week, but did you guys try something different with the compression in v4.1? I just wanted to let you know that the inside images look MUCH better in 4.1 than they looked in the previous versions. They are still obviously in lower resolution than the cover (which is understandable), but they look much clearer now and all the crazy artifacting is gone. Whatever you guys did, it worked. Thank you!
          Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 01-26-2019, 12:27 AM.
      Working...
      X