Growth and Wounds in SWADE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growth and Wounds in SWADE

So Large and greater creatures have additional wounds based on their Size. How does this interact with the growth power? If a caster spends 8 PP to grow to Size 4, shouldn't she gain an extra Wound? If so, what happens when she returns to her regular Size? If she sustained wounds while grown, does one go away when she shrinks, or does she retain it?

I meant to put this into the Feedback forum but didn't get the opportunity to and was hoping someone else would have an idea of what the intent here might have been.
    My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything. Now featuring Suppressive Fire that actually works!

I wouldn´t rule it to go away but rather they keeps it. Maybe they realise they can´t go back to normal size because they would be incapacitated then. Could be interesting för them to keep maintaining that power until at least healed to much that they won´t be incapacitated when returning to normal size.

Comment

I wouldn't provide the bonus wound. "Magic can only do so much, and a normal person ... stretched to giant sized will always be a bit less substantial than a true giant."
      Obviously that would change in some settings, but I'd keep that interpretation as much as possible.

If I had to grant the extra wound, I'd take a cue from the Tough As Nails edge - this is an advantage, not a weakness, and the extra Wound gets absorbed by the magic when returning to normal.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

As I understand it, the extra wounds are just that. The first wound is always at -1, and anything past the third is still at -3. If shrinking back down would risk incapacitation, then they're already seriously wounded.

Comment

If you do provide the additional wound level with the power, I think the thing to consider is the intent of the extra wound. It's there because damage effectively scales down for larger creatures: what might be a serious gash for a human would amount to a mere scratch for a giant.

So if a magically grown character receives a "scratch," then shrinks back down to normal, should the wound become a "gash" or remain a scratch?

I'd vote in the latter. A Grown character with 3-out-of-4 wounds that shrinks back to normal will shave a wound level off both their current and max wounds, ending up with 2-out-of-3 wounds. In other words, they don't get closer to death by shrinking... the wounds "shrink" too. It's all relative.

Comment

Yeah. Having them suddenly be bleeding out feels a bit like "gotcha" DMing, and it doesn't really follow the fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
              If you do provide the additional wound level with the power, I think the thing to consider is the intent of the extra wound. It's there because damage effectively scales down for larger creatures: what might be a serious gash for a human would amount to a mere scratch for a giant.

So if a magically grown character receives a "scratch," then shrinks back down to normal, should the wound become a "gash" or remain a scratch?

I'd vote in the latter. A Grown character with 3-out-of-4 wounds that shrinks back to normal will shave a wound level off both their current and max wounds, ending up with 2-out-of-3 wounds. In other words, they don't get closer to death by shrinking... the wounds "shrink" too. It's all relative.
              For consistency's sake, what you're effectively arguing is that any additional wounds, regardless of source, are tacked on at the front end and not the back end. Following that train of thought, Tough as Nails means you get to ignore the first wound that hits you, rather than suffer a -3 penalty at both your third and fourth wounds. So you're not just getting an extra wound. You're also getting Nerves of Steel for free.

I just don't see how that's defensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Jounichi View Post
                For consistency's sake, what you're effectively arguing is that any additional wounds, regardless of source, are tacked on at the front end and not the back end.
                No, he's saying that you heal your worst wound when you end Growth. He's giving a healing effect for free.
                I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Jounichi
                  Jounichi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which is more or less the terms along I was thinking along. I liken it to how the 3.X barbarian could drop once their rage ends because the lost con bonus drops their hit points back down to zero or below. Currently, I see Growth as an interesting tactical risk/reward if it's taken too high. And I think that's good for balance.

• Deskepticon
                  Deskepticon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jounichi True. But balance can also come from spending more PP as well, in which case the character would be "buying off" the risk aspect.

I'm curious to see what the official ruling is on this. Perhaps "Extra Wound" could be offered as a power modifier if it's not a given thing.

• Jounichi
                  Jounichi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't see why it wouldn't be assumed. The rules on size and scale are pretty clear. And if a modifier were needed to add such an ability, then forcibly reducing an enemy's size wouldn't strip them of any additional wounds, either.

That said, part of the risk/reward comes from planning ahead. Like making sure you have a means to quickly heal someone in an emergency should a buffed target drop in size with too many wounds on them.

Originally posted by Jounichi View Post

For consistency's sake, what you're effectively arguing is that any additional wounds, regardless of source, are tacked on at the front end and not the back end. Following that train of thought, Tough as Nails means you get to ignore the first wound that hits you, rather than suffer a -3 penalty at both your third and fourth wounds. So you're not just getting an extra wound. You're also getting Nerves of Steel for free.

I just don't see how that's defensible.
                I don't think I implied that you get to ignore wound modifiers. You may have read too much into it. However, I think I will amend the proposal to say that when you shrink back, you can't become worse off than you were when you were Large. So if you were at 1 wound, you remain at 1 wound. If you were at 4 wounds, you cannot instantly become Incapped, but instead revert to 3 wounds.

This keeps all your same wound penalties without the "free heal" that my original proposal unwittingly provided.

Comment

Working...
                X