That Wacky John Browning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Wacky John Browning

Something I didn't notice in the machine gun charts on p75. The BAR has no single shot or semi-automatic option. It should not have the option for ROF <2. Interestingly, the M2 has always had this option. It should be able to fire with ROF 1.

The BAR in WWII didn't actually have a semi-automatic firing option. The US government, in their infinite wisdom, felt they should have "slow" (RoF 2) full-auto and "fast" (RoF 3) full-auto, instead of simply "automatic" or "semi-automatic" (which was a downgrade from the WWI model of the weapon). In both circumstances, the real world rate of fire tended to be too high to effectively fire off a single shot at a time without a level of concentration that generally wasn't available in a combat scenario.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Comment

The M2 only has two settings, full automatic and single shot. In single shot it is effectively a bolt action weapon - the mechanism that automatically chambers the next round is restrained, forcing the operator to manually pull the bolt lever to chamber a new round. It does not have a "safe" setting, which is unusual; single shot is the closest it gets.
      Having put a couple thousand rounds through an M2, I strongly believe that it shouldn't have RoF 1 outside of that single shot mode - a rate of fire 450 to 550 rounds per minute is fast enough that you can't effectively fire a single bullet.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Of course, pulling Mama Deuce's bolt lever won't release the bolt. The bolt release must be pressed, which is conveniently located between the arms of the butterfly trigger. But that is more than enough to justify an ROF 1. And, of course, the effective use of the gun as a sniper weapon (through benefiting from the Marksman Edge) as at least one person has done.

As for a safety, a round behind the butterfly always works, and the cross-bolt safeties installed on the newest backplates ("upgrades" starting about 2005) work in the same way.

Comment

Working...
        X