Spellcasting-based Tests and Support?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spellcasting-based Tests and Support?

Would you allow a PC to use the new Support and Test rules with the Spellcasting skills, even if they're not casting a particular spell? Should this cost Power Points or be a Power? Can it be done at range?

Depends on the setting, but generally I'd require an arcane skill Test to at least be linked to a power that the character has already; using the illusion power to form spiders on the target and Distract him, for example, or using elemental manipulation to create a harmless fireburst that knocks them around and leaves them Vulnerable. At best I might allow a discounted casting cost.

Otherwise, I'd treat it the same as a Shooting Test with a gun—if you aren't firing the gun and spending ammo, you can't use Shooting for the Test.
    My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything. Now featuring Suppressive Fire that actually works!

Comment

I don't see why not.
      I'd probably want them to describe it using one of their existing powers, no using a magic missile to distract their foe or inspirational fireworks that blast out into "you can do it!" if they don't have the bolt power.
      At range? Depends on how they describe it.
      As to power points? Free if they succeed, 1 if they fail, d4 if they crit fail (and the support penalty).

Comment

Originally posted by SteelDraco View Post
        Would you allow a PC to use the new Support and Test rules with the Spellcasting skills, even if they're not casting a particular spell? Should this cost Power Points or be a Power? Can it be done at range?
        Probably, depending upon the descriptions.
        I don't see a reason to limit player creativity, but they do need to be creative. There's only so many times you can tell someone they are wonderful and you support them and expect to improve their performance; similar restrictions would apply to "mystical assistance".
        Like any Support or Test roll, it can be done at whatever range makes sense for the description.

For characters using arcane skills, Critical Failure will almost certainly cost them a Power Point in addition to whatever else is decided upon.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

There are cases in which using a magic item such as a wand requires an arcane skill roll instead of a Fighting or Shooting roll, so I say yes.
          Savage Bloggers Network: An aggregated feed of Savage Worlds news and podcasts on the web.
          Manifest Zone: The Eberron podcast featuring Keith Baker that explores the breadth and depth of the tabletop fantasy RPG setting.
          Eberron Conversion Companion for Savage Worlds: A document offering material and references for running Eberron with Savage Worlds.

Comment

It's not really any different balance-wise than using Fighting for Tests. I wouldn't make it as easy as I would for skills that are directly designed for Tests like Taunt and Intimidate, and I'd probably have them relate it in some way to Powers they already have, but I wouldn't charge them any Power Points for it.

Comment

I will definitely allow it! Spellcasting/Faith/etc. is just another skill, same as Taunt or Fighting. Yes, the effect should be "on theme" with their power concepts. Not sure about requiring a power point, since they aren't casting an actual spell, just using it for effect. But I really like ValhallaGH's idea of charging a point on a failed roll! They tried to help, but lost control of their power / weren't able to focus / etc. and spent more energy than intended.

Another option would be to charge them a point on a success or failure, but not on a raise, and not if they have the new edge (Channeling?). Yeah, I think that's what I like the best and will do.

Comment

Working...
              X