Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Edges - Better Names?

Howdy

I've just started digging through the new edition and liking it so far - one thing that seems a missed opportunity is to get some more evocative names for the improved level of edges. Anyone know if there's scope for this changing in the final book - or even if there's an unofficial bunch of suggestions? Of course, anyone can relabel edges (or anything else) as they see fit, but it seems a good change to get some more engaging titles.

For example, I really dig Hard to Kill / Harder to Kill or that kind of thing, but Improved Nerves of Steel or Improved Level Headed leaves me cold (not even sure they make complete sense in English). My all-time favourite, although really simple with the Really Dirty Fighter from the Pirates book. Anyone crowd-sourced some engaging names for the "improved" edges that are more likely to get the blood pumping or a wry smile from the players?

It's not a massive thing, but I reckon it'd be nice to see the adventurous edition have cooler (IMHO) names for the edges, if there's some others out there. I can come up with my own, naturally, but the hivemind may already have some groovy suggestions, so thought I'd check with you guys.

Cheers!

For what it's worth I think one reason for them to stick with the original names for Edges and Hindrances is to help with backwards compatibility with the earlier editions of Savage Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by wmarshal View Post
      For what it's worth I think one reason for them to stick with the original names for Edges and Hindrances is to help with backwards compatibility with the earlier editions of Savage Worlds.
      That's a big part. Possibly the biggest.

Another issue is finding / remembering the edges. I love the names of Weapon Master and Man At Arms, but like Professional and Expert I always have trouble remembering which is the Improved version.

Sure, you could rename Improved Sweep to Cleave, Imp. First Strike to Stop Thrust, and Imp. Frenzy to Relentless Blades, and you'd have some neat and evocative names. But you'd lose backwards compatibility - which isn't a deal breaker, see the change from Improved Tough as Nails to Tougher Than Nails - and you'd make it harder for folks to remember what a specific Edge does.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

The one I hate is Martial Warrior. That doesn't make sense. But I've already asked and it's staying.

Comment

I like the "Improved Whatever" names. They aren't very evocative, but they make playing the game easier, since it's trivial to remember what the edge does.

Just like powers, you can always have your character refer to an edge by a different name.

Comment

Okay, I get some people find it easier. I don't really see it as an issue myself, maybe it's because I've played for so long - characters would buy the Edges one at a time and presumably keep them in mind as they went? Dunno, I've not used the SW Deluxe rulebook for years as I can hold it all in my noggin, but I guess for newer people it makes it more straightforward (aside from the inconsistency of some edges having fancy improved names, and others simply saying "Improved")!

The sweet spot seems to be where you can just upgrade the wording without too much change Hard/Harder, or add an adverb or adjective (Master) Tactician.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
              ValhallaGH commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm carrying at least four different RPGs in my head. The unique names for every ability is cute but a PitA to keep straight, especially when different systems use the same word for very different abilities.

I'm having flashbacks to an old RPG that I can no longer remember the name of--it was set in a cross-dimensional bar where you had characters from all genres rubbing elbows and chatting, and going off on adventures before coming back for a drink. The mood and language was light and goofy, but it was still as clunky as any other RPG on the market back then--so you had all these wonky terms for very standard mechanics. I just remember that instead of "Melee" and "Duelist" they has "Swing Sharp Pointy Thing" and "Swing Sharp Pointy Thing with Panache".

It was one of the first games I encountered to use the idea of "Schticks", which were basically a genre-flavored rule that applied to your character. So the Rambo let you ignore gunfire at point-blank range, while the Schwarzenegger let you shrug off damage from injuries.

Comment

• JackMann
              JackMann commented
              Editing a comment
              You're thinking of Tales of the Floating Vagabond. Like you say, not a great game by modern standards, but still a step in the development of more narrative roleplaying games.

• Freemage
              Freemage commented
              Editing a comment
              JackMann: Yes! That's the one!

• SteelDraco
              SteelDraco commented
              Editing a comment
              HoL is the one with the skills "Put Sharp Things through Soft Things that Scream and Bleed" (generic melee skill) and "Put Glowy Burny Things through Soft Things that Scream and Cauterize Instantly" (for the fanboy pregen PC with a lightsaber)

I like the idea of giving them evocative names. For the rule book, I prefer the simple names (and yes, I hate Martial Warrior, too!). But why not ask players to come up with their own names whenever they're so inspired? Just like naming powers. And in the past, we've all seen the concept of a mage taking the Lockpicking skill and re-trapping it as a Knock Spell. Or re-trapping Martial Artist (ahem) as Adamantium Claws. This could really help break that feeling that some people have of "all SW characters are the same".

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
              The one I hate is Martial Warrior. That doesn't make sense. But I've already asked and it's staying.

Martial Artist isn't a great name either, frankly, but at least the trope is obvious from the name, even if the name of the trope is terrible. Maybe something like "Deadly Hands" and "Deadlier Hands" would be better names.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd prefer Knife Hands and Sword Hands, but whatever works.

I actually did want to change them, but it caused more confusion than it was worth. Cheers

Comment

• Roberius Rex
                Roberius Rex commented
                Editing a comment
                I love everything else y'all have done, so I can live with this one. My khajiit player (er, my son, who plays a khajiit) already refers to his martial arts style as "Claws of Fury" anyway. Thanks for everything, Shane, and greetings from the Blue Ridge!

• SteelDraco
                SteelDraco commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that's clear with the new Edges not using the same naming scheme. Tactician/Master Tactician, Acrobat/Combat Acrobat, Tough as Nails/Tougher than Nails, etc. Updating to a new version is always a tough balance between maintaining compatibility with older stuff and allowing the system to develop.
            Working...
            X