Forsaken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forsaken

So I'm working on a Deadlands character, who's utilizing the "Veteran of the ___" Edges & 1 of the Hindrances they dish out is called "Forsaken", which basically states that a Forsaken individual is more or less immune to "beneficial magic".

What I am wondering is, what is considered "beneficial magic"? Is it restricted to the supportive powers in general? Is it restricted to the powers from the Arcane Background: Magic Edge? Do Hucksters & Sorcerers count as having AB: Magic?(if so, what other Arcane Backgrounds count as Magic?) What Powers don't affect Forsaken characters? What about enchanted items?

Hucksters have AB: Magic. That said, I'm pretty sure it's intended to mean any beneficial supernatural effect.

Comment

The version I have (not sure if there's an updated version that's newer that changes the wording) just says that the Forsaken hero can't benefit from beneficial tribal medicine or miracles. That means the two Arcane Backgrounds, Tribal Medicine and Miracles. Beneficial magic in this context is pretty much intended to be interpreted as spitefully as the GM feels is appropriate. Would it be good for the PC if the power worked on them? Then it doesn't. Would it be bad for them if it did work on them? Then it does!

As to relics and magic items, I'd say that depends on the source of the relic's power. The version of Forsaken I'm looking at basically indicates that the character is cursed by the good/neutral spirits of the world, so relics that are rooted in good or neutral magic probably won't help them.

Comment

Originally posted by Forsaken
        No beneficial tribal medicine or miracles work on him. Hexes, weird science, and black magic work normally.
        So, Blessed and Shamans can't to anything to help the character, but can use their magic to hurt the character. This is a problem because only Blessed and Shamans have healing that can be used on others.
        Everything else works normally. That includes Hucksters, Mad Scientists, cultists, Raven impersonators, Hexslingers, and Enlightened martial artists.

Relics are going to be on a case-by-case basis. You'll have to look at the Relic's history to decide if it can benefit the character. Generally not, but some of those Relics are really evil and should work just fine.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

The Deadlands Noir & Hell on Earth versions are a bit more vague, which must be what my GM's using.
          Thanks for the input y'all.

Comment

Working...
          X