Hinder/Hurry spell modifier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinder/Hurry spell modifier

Is it me or does Hinder/Hurry stack? It says it reduces pace -2 or adds +2 pace untill the spell ends. So could you have +10 or more pace with multiple spells on? It doesn’t say it can’t.

You can only apply it once. Each modifier is a flat one-off unless it indicates otherwise (see Armor Piercing).

As for stacking with multiple castings ... yeah, that seems viable currently. Off to the Feedback thread!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Freemage
      Freemage commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I assume he meant multiple different spells, each with the Hinder/Hurry modifier (I'm assuming since spells themselves don't stack, their modifiers don't, either).

Technically, the same question could be asked of the effects of Glow/Shroud.

I agree that under RAW you could stack it with multiple power activations. I personally don't have a problem with it stacking, now that power disruption has been clearly spelled out in the rules; i.e. go ahead and stack on to the modifier, but don't be surprised when your caster gets lots of attention as a target next turn or the following round. My problem with it is the power costs - IMO Hinder/Hurry should have a +2 power cost. I have similar cost concerns for a few of the other modifiers too. Admittedly though, I ran very little with the SPC or SPC2 or any SW settings that featured them, so modifiers are still a bit out of my comfort zone.
    Last edited by kronovan; 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Ok quick math with the mod and power points per spell to get +10 pace was 10 power points with all novice spells (Arcane Protection, Dark Sight, Elemental Manipulation, Empathy, and Mind Link) with 3 powers at 5 rounds of duration, 1 at an hour, and 1 for 30 minutes with a base cost of 1 power point per spell. This would drain everthing for a 30 second boost to +10 pace, a 30 minute +4 pace, and a 30 minute +2 pace. The Sloth/Speed power is still more cost effective at 2 power points for double pace which would be +6 on a normal character. +8 with hurry at 3 PP. with 1 more spell with Hurry for +10 pace for 5 PP.

Now that I looked at the Speed power does your running die double after you roll?

Comment

Originally posted by wulfharth View Post
        Now that I looked at the Speed power does your running die double after you roll?
        Well the Hinder/Hurry modifier doesn't mention anything about effecting running dice type, so I'd say based on that alone the answer is no. As well, when such pace increases do effect running dice, the core rules clearly state that; i.e. the Pace positive racial ability which clearly states the running die is increased a die type and the Fleet Footed edge, which also clearly states that the running die increases one step. It's also my understanding that unless a power lists a specific modifier, it isn't allowed - the Speed power doesn't list Hinder/Hurry. I'm not 100% about the inclusion of the "Modifiers" subsection under individual powers; i.e. is it what's strictly allowed or just suggestions as to what could work?

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          The speed power explicitly doubles pace and running distance.

• kronovan
          kronovan commented
          Editing a comment
          OK, cool - I can see where I misunderstood Wulfharth's question. I though he was referring to whether the Hurry modifier would do a further doubling of the doubling of the running die that the speed power is already applying.

Shane answered. They're changing the modifier to state that only one instance applies at a time.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
        X