Well I already posted on the feed back page about Rapid Recharge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I already posted on the feed back page about Rapid Recharge

I’d like to know the thoughts of everybody else. Should Rapid recharge be changed to say 5 power points every 30 minutes and Improved Rapid Recharge to 5 power points ever 15 minutes. Like the older editions of savage worlds worked. Or keep it as is. Where you get the lump sum of an hours rest after the hour. It just seems like it’s not faster. That was one thing I liked in SWD was having the ability to regen 1 point with a 15 minute rest. Sometimes thats all you had. But the increase from 1 to 5 PP per hour may make that unbalanced. It would still be 20 PP in an hour. But getting 5 PP back for just a short break would be more in line with the name.
    Last edited by wulfharth; 01-04-2019, 08:11 AM.

I would certainly prefer the older versions, there can be plenty of circumstances where you might not have an hour available to rest, but could manage with 15 or 30 minutes making those edges more attractive.
    With the new edition's Power regen buff, Rapid Recharge doesn't really feel particularly important for most players anyway, though that of course depends on what table you are playing at.

Comment

I like the current version. Doubling, and then doubling again, the Recovery rate feels "rapid" to me. 30 miles per hour is speedy for anything that's not a car, but 60 miles per hour is speedy for most everything, and 120 miles per hour is just fast.

I'm not opposed to changing it to 30 minutes / 15 minutes but I'm not sure it's necessary.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        I like the current version. Doubling, and then doubling again, the Recovery rate feels "rapid" to me. 30 miles per hour is speedy for anything that's not a car, but 60 miles per hour is speedy for most everything, and 120 miles per hour is just fast.

I'm not opposed to changing it to 30 minutes / 15 minutes but I'm not sure it's necessary.
        The only issue I have is not recovering power points intermittently over the hour. In your above examples going 30 miles per hour is equivalent to going 15 miles per 30 minutes. 60 miles per hour is 30 miles per 30 minute. 120 miles per hour is 60 miles per 30 minutes. If you traveled 1 hour at 120mph you should travel 120 miles. But how far did you go in 15 minutes? 120mph would be 30 miles for 15 minutes of driving. 60mph would be 15 miles for 15 miuntes of driving. 30mph would be 7.5 miles for 15 minutes of driving. 120 is still way faster. The only differance is you know, in 15 minute intervals, how far you go.

Sometimes you don’t get a hour to rest. If the GM has a lot of fights lined up and you only get 20 minutes of rest a caster with Improved Rapid Recharge would have 5 power points to spend if they were empty before. A caster without the edge would have none. But the way the rules read now both would have 0 power points anyway. So it does not feel faster to me. You just get a higher lump sum for an hours rest. But only for an hour’s rest. Being interupted after 30 minutes of rest would mean you would need to start all over again to get your points. Even someone that recovers points faster.
        Last edited by wulfharth; 01-04-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I understand the point. I acknowledge that it is valid. I'm just not sure if it's an actual improvement to change the edge from increasing amount recovered to decreasing time of recovery. The overall result is the same.
          I only know a few pedantic jerks that would say, "No, you only rested for 59 minutes, you haven't recovered any Power Points yet." Partly because no one enjoys gaming with those folks, so they learn to rule in a manner that's more fun.

• wulfharth
          wulfharth commented
          Editing a comment
          People like that are reason I want the change. Since RAW thats how it would work. I played with jerks a lot.
          The GM should be fair on that stuff. But some poeple are just the worst. Others are just lazy and don’t want to do the little math that went into this. Some just forget that they can do as they please, as the GM, and think the rules are laws that shall not be broken. I pity those people. But they’re mostly new GMs that just want the rules as a guide rope. They learn pretty fast that they have to house rule some stuff thats not in the rules.

• Freemage
          Freemage commented
          Editing a comment
          Mind you, I'd say the above contains a phrase that may explain the rule, too: " If the GM has a lot of fights lined up and you only get 20 minutes of rest". Arguably, from a narrative perspective, the reason for back-to-back-to-back fights with no rest between is precisely to force resource pressures onto the party. I certainly agree that after 50-odd minutes, the GM shouldn't be a hard-***, but the point of the rule seems to be that even an IRR caster can't just get into a fight every 15 minutes and expect to be ready to roll out constantly.

I think a Setting Rule that allows for pro-rated recovery of points is sufficient. I could see something like that in Rifts, for instance, where the magical energy is pretty much in the air you breathe. Call it "Ambient Mana".
      Working...
      X