Teleport destination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleport destination

So under the Teleport Power it specifies that when casting teleport on a willing subject, the
    caster decides where they move to, not the target.

Is it just me, or does that imply that when teleporting an unwilling target, that the target not the caster gets to decide? So, e.g. you can Teleport Foe someone 12" away, but they get to decide where, yes?

The language could certainly be clearer, but I'm 99.99% positive that the caster chooses. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Comment

The point would be to teleport them away, which is what you would get in either case.

Comment

Okay, so the target chooses to be teleported an inch backwards. If the caster doesn't choose, the power will essentially have no effect.

Comment

The target isn't choosing distance. The target is choosing destination.

So the casters says "you are sent 12 inches away."
          Then the target chooses where that destination is.
          Which prevents *every* Teleport Foe from being "I teleport them 12" up. Fight over." Or "I teleport them into the wall. Fight over." Or "I teleport them underground. Fight over", etc ad nauseam.

Comment

Where does the power indicate that the caster chooses the distance but not the destination?

It does look like teleporting foes is completely broken without some additional restrictions. That's probably worth filing feedback over.

EDIT: I posted a feedback.
            Last edited by Soulliard; 01-04-2019, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulliard View Post
              Where does the power indicate that the caster chooses the distance but not the destination?
              It specifically says the caster chooses destination when the target is willing. It does not say the caster chooses destination on an unwilling target

The caster choosing distance and the target the destination fits the text without leaving anything particularly broken, unlike the caster touch-attacking every opponent into oblivion. But it is weird and clunky. That's why I asked in the first place.

Comment

Only the devs would know for sure, but my guess is that they added the Teleport Foe modifier without thinking too hard about how much it could be abused.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Shane wrote somewhere that they are not going to get bogged down in rules minutiae for every possible situation and there will be instances where the GM has to exercise common sense / personal judgement to make a ruling. Having read the Teleport power in SWADEv3, it seems pretty evident that if the caster beats the hostile targets opposed Smarts roll, the caster decides where the target is going to be teleported to.

Comment

• Soulliard
                    Soulliard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree, the intent seems clear enough. The modifier is absurdly broken, though, as Anjay points out.

Originally posted by Soulliard View Post
                  It does look like teleporting foes is completely broken without some additional restrictions. That's probably worth filing feedback over.
                  This came up two weeks ago on the Facebook group

I believe that you are overestimating the odds of pulling off the attack.

Take a WC spellcaster with a d8 spellcasting and d8 fighting vs a d6 extra.

First the Spellcaster has to pass a spellcasting roll at -2. That has a success rate of 48%. (All powers have a minimum TN of 4 in order to activate.)

Next, the Spellcaster has to hit the target's parry of 5. Touch attacks are at +2, which offsets the MAP. With a d8 plus wild-die, that has a success rate of 67%.

So, right off the bat, the spellcaster has only a 1 in 3 chance of activating the spell and touching the target and that is before the opposed roll is factored in.

The opposed Smarts roll doesn't suffer from MAP, and will likely succeed about 25% of the time. (We are talking about a d6 Extra resisting it)

This gives us the overall chance of success at around 25% (48% * 67% * 75%).

25% chance of success against an un-named extra with no special abilities or resistances.

In addition, the spellcaster has to get within touch range. If the target simply moves away and forces the spellcaster to run, that is another -2 to both spellcasting and fighting rolls.

In summery
                  1) 4pp to use
                  2) -2 on activation roll due to MAP. This means that the caster needs to roll at least a 6 on the die.
                  3) Needs to be within touch range of target.
                  4) Needs to touch target. The +2 for the Touch attack negates the -2 MAP, but still needs to match the target's parry.
                  5) Target can resist with a Smarts roll that doesn't have a -2 Map penalty plus can benefit for Edges, Powers, and Gear that protects against Arcane stuff.

Comment

• Soulliard
                    Soulliard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, it's clearly a waste to use it on an extra. The overpowered use is to hit a wildcard with it, send them 12" into the air, and laugh as they plummet to their doom.

There are ways around the -2 MAP. Get an ally to trick the target to make them vulnerable, get an ally to support you, or utilize the Extra Effort edge, for example. Such a powerful effect is worth the setup. Plus, there's always bennies.

Even if more penalties were added to balance the power, I'm still not a fan of having save-or-die effects in Savage Worlds. They haven't been much fun to deal with in the systems that have them.

• mikeZekim
                    mikeZekim commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The use of a d6 Extra was to demonstrate how hard it is to pull off against a nameless foe.

A Wild Card is more difficult as the Wild Die improves the odds of the target resisting the power plus WC characters will likely have a higher Parry as well as gear/edges/abilities that can help protect them against being teleported.

Wild Cards also can soak wounds and have their own bennie pools with which to do so. True, they will be trying to soak around 5 or 6 wounds, but they only need to soak 3 of them to keep going and I have seen Wild Cards soak up to 8 wounds.

Yes, it is a powerful use of the power, but it is not an unstoppable auto-win power.

• Soulliard
                    Soulliard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You've made some good points. While the attack is clearly very powerful (and it comes free with a power that already provides great utility), it's pretty situational, too. I'm not sure if that's enough to balance it - time will tell, I suppose (or maybe it'll be changed before publication).
                Working...
                X