Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have the Swade! A friend got me a copy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the Swade! A friend got me a copy!

And so far I like what I'm seeing, some of the home brewed changes I was using showed up which is cool, nice to see I wasn't the only one who thought Climbing and Swimming should have been combined. Didn't occur to me to include Throwing mind you.

I'm currently going through the weapons list and so far one thing strikes me as odd, the Maul, which is a two handed hammer, yes? So it's top heavy like the Great Axe, which has a -1 to parry, but the Maul doesn't? Is this a mistake? Or is there a reason that I should have explained to me?

Welcome to the forum!

Because it doesn't have major benefit to balance out such a severe penalty. The great axe has AP 2, the maul just gets a bonus when breaking things and is still the heaviest melee weapon (excluding the Pike).

The Adventure Edition feedback threads are currently closed to new posts while they implement changes based upon that feedback, but feel free to include anything you see when a new Feedback thread opens up.
    In the meantime, you're welcome to participate in other discussions, too.

Aside: I'm going to assume you were gifted SWAE, and not part of piracy, but you may want to choose your words better in the future.

P.S. Merry Christmas.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Historically, "mauls" were essentially heavy weights affixed to a short haft. Many styles existed across many cultures. Some had solid iron ball weights, others were axe-like wedges or picks... some were just hewn stumps of wood, like a giant mallet. One hand was kept near the base of the weight until the moment of impact, when your grip was loosened to allow the weapon to "follow through" the target. This hand positioning kept the weapon easily maneuverable right up until the moment it strikes.

Video games and tabletop fantasy games have taken liberties with the concept, turning mauls into what can basically be called a "great hammer." (That same blurring, however, occurs along all weapon spectrums: warhammers are generally represented as being much larger than their real-world namesake, as have great swords---aka: 2-handed swords.)

If your campaign uses the more fantasy-driven dimensions, feel free to adjust weapon stats appropriately... or better yet, create new ones to fit the role. Just be mindful of maintaining a reasonable degree of game-balance. Although, in settings were the heroes are swinging around giant 9-feet swords, but can't lift a boulder to save their lives, that could just be a trapping on the weapons; their massive appearance doesn't actually affect their weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

Because it doesn't have major benefit to balance out such a severe penalty. The great axe has AP 2, the maul just gets a bonus when breaking things and is still the heaviest melee weapon (excluding the Pike).

The Adventure Edition feedback threads are currently closed to new posts while they implement changes based upon that feedback, but feel free to include anything you see when a new Feedback thread opens up.
        In the meantime, you're welcome to participate in other discussions, too.

Aside: I'm going to assume you were gifted SWAE, and not part of piracy, but you may want to choose your words better in the future.

P.S. Merry Christmas.
        My copy is in my DriveThru library. I got it all legal like, twas a proper gift for Christmas. Thank you.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
          ValhallaGH commented
          Editing a comment
          As I thought. Have fun.

I don' t see any disadvantages to the Maul. I'd give AP 1 and -1 to Parry, but keep the weight and +2 to objects. A maul, or more accurately a combat balanced sledge hammer, which is a fantasy toy to which I am totally cool with, is should be able to break hard objects like stone and armour.
        Last edited by Christopher Brady; 12-27-2018, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X