Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SPC] Power to not die from Fatigue

Hi guys,

I need some input. For our game, my character would like to have a custom power that makes it impossible for them to die from Fatigue (the GM has already ruled that not dying from injuries is our of the question :P)

We are playing on Street Fighter power level with Rising Stars. The background is that the hero has super strong regeneration with immunity to disease and poison. Now I would like to have something that prevents death from Fatigue, such as drowning, hunger and cold. I realize that I could just pick Doesn't Eat, Doesn't Breathe as well as appropriate Resistances, but that's not exactly what I have in mind.

Basically, the Power should just prevent death—the character still suffers Fatigue and gets Incapacitated as normal. When removed from the source of the Fatigue, they recover again.

I was thinking a custom Power "Undying" that just prevents death from Fatigue. But what would that cost? We were thinking 1 or 2 points.

Thanks in advance for your Feedback.
    Last edited by Tumola; 11-27-2018, 06:26 AM. Reason: Post was incomplete

Maybe a +2 modifier to Regeneration to allow it to remove Fatigue in addition to Wounds? Perhaps if it ONLY removes Fatigue, balance that out with a -2 Limitation to the Regeneration power.

It would have to be a pretty high level of Regeneration to be worth it, though, since most Fatigue goes away in an hour or a day anyway.

Honestly, though, not dying isn't that powerful a power if it doesn't prevent incapacitation, especially in a game that explicitly has Heroes Never Die as a setting rule. If all you want it to do is have him wake up at some plot-appropriate time later after getting incapacitated by Fatigue, I'd call that a 1-point power.

Comment

This sounds like it might be better served as an Edge. Something like:
      Second Wind
      Requirements: Novice, Vigor d8
      If the character dies from Fatigue and must draw a Defeat Card, they redraw anytime the card is 5 or lower.

This pretty much means they are never killed or maimed by Fatigue, but can still be Exhausted (as per the Defeat Table).

May I ask what the character concept is? What is it that makes him impervious to drowning, freezing, heat stroke, and starvation?

Comment

Thanks for your responses so far.

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
        May I ask what the character concept is? What is it that makes him impervious to drowning, freezing, heat stroke, and starvation?
        The concept is basically a character with extremely high regeneration. The character should not be impervious to drowning and starvation and such, it should just not (permanently) kill them. Basically, if the character starves to "death" or drowns, cellular regeneration can repair any damage from that (brain damage from lack of oxygen or damaged organs from lack of water/food), even years later (if they get nutrition and oxygen again), at which point they would "revive".

Comment

Originally posted by Tumola View Post
          The concept is basically a character with extremely high regeneration. The character should not be impervious to drowning and starvation and such, it should just not (permanently) kill them. Basically, if the character starves to "death" or drowns, cellular regeneration can repair any damage from that (brain damage from lack of oxygen or damaged organs from lack of water/food), even years later (if they get nutrition and oxygen again), at which point they would "revive".
          Ah, so a "Logan" type.

The Death & Defeat setting rule already makes permanent death a matter of (slim) chance. Anything else is really just left to the narrative. A character that drowns and doesn't draw a 2 just washes up on shore sometime later... with a collapsed lung if they're unlucky.

In many ways, what you want is already provided by the rules. But if you want the character to be absolutely safe from death and permanent injury, I think an Edge that nudges the card-draw on the Defeat Table is the easiest way to handle it.

Not dying from Fatigue is fairly niche, so the requirements are pretty low. Even so, it's classified as a Combat Edge so you can purchase it with the Super Edge power if you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
            Not to mention mundane Radiation, most diseases, and most toxins. Along with the fatal nature of Power Negation, the Infection power, and the Poison power's main effect.
            It seems like a niche power, but counters a lot of backlash and hazard mechanics.

Personally, I'd go with a variant of Hard to Kill (Bountiful Vitality? Endless Endurance? Perfect Health?) - the character ignores penalties from Fatigue when rolling Incapacitation. Probably change the Spirit d8+ to Vigor d8+.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• Deskepticon
              Deskepticon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, it's an odd bag of things to be effectively immune to.

I say "effectively" because as I understand it, the OP doesn't want to change any of the game effects, just wants to Not Die from fatigue. Death & Defeat already pretty much does this, with death only occuring on a Deuce. I think all the OP needs is something that eliminates even that slim chance.
              ________

IOW, they don't avoid Incap; they can still "die" from the Fatigue (i.e., stop moving, stop breathing, no heartbeat, etc)... but once they are removed from the Incapacitating conditions, they spring back to life.

That just sounds like they can never suffer The Death Of... result on the Defeat Table.
              Last edited by Deskepticon; 11-27-2018, 09:11 PM.

Hmmmm

http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=37439

Well there goes my idea to retrap construct/Undead. And regeneration can only reduce recovery time by 1/2!

The heal power can help recover fatigue, so if you don't get spammed with things that go around every other immunity that might be good enough,

Of course, nothing in SW prevents you from dying from damage either now that I think about it.
            Last edited by Mara; 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Duplication I, No Tell +1, Promotion +2, Limitation: Activates only on death from Fatigue -2. Total cost: 4 points. Soon as you actually 'die' from Fatigue, you pop right back up again. However, it then takes 1d6 days before you can pull off the same trick, so for a brief window you might be vulnerable.

Comment

• Freemage
                Freemage commented
                Editing a comment
                You could lower the cost further by placing a second Limitation on it, that requires the abatement of the Fatiguing condition before the Duplicate actually forms. So if you die of cold, your frozen body remains there, intact, until you actually get warmed up--then 'poof', Duplicate You pops up.

If you go that route, I'd probably also require Ageless--that would be enough to explain why the body doesn't decay once you're dead.

• Deskepticon
                Deskepticon commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool use of Duplication!
                Pricey, but cool.

Although, I don't think you need No Tell. That's only used for making it harder to distinguish dupes from the "parent". Since Promotion turns a dupe into the parent-self, No Tell no longer applies to that Promoted dupe.

So the power might look more like:
                Duplication, level 1 (3), Promotion (+2), Limitation: can only be used upon death (-2) by Fatigue (-1). Total: 2 PP

• Freemage
                Freemage commented
                Editing a comment
                Deskepticon, that's a fair point. So drop No Tell. And I see how you calculated the Limitation as two separate things. Since "Only on Death" is a pretty big limitation, and then restricting it to the cause of death being from Fatigue, I can see this as a fair cop, too.

Thanks for the input. These are definitely some cool and creative options. I'm not so much afraid of dying, but the GM and I have a particular story/event in mind for my character. But at the moment, we tend to go with a pure narrative approach.

Also, I have no doubt that the GM will find a way to kill off the character if he or I really want to.

Comment

I have a character with Immunity to Fatigue on Savagerifts.com it was priced out as if it was 10 SPC power points in line with resistance.

It had turned out very handy and come up three or four times in the last two years.

Comment

Working...
                X