SW Adventurer's Guild Announcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW Adventurer's Guild Announcement

Just got this notification in the newsletter and thought I'd post to see what everybody thought about it. Looks like they've changed the name of the new edition to Savage Worlds: Adventurer Edition as well. This should be interesting, but I'm wondering how this will affect the existing licensing and fragmentation of the marketplace. One of the big draws with the DM's Guild (the obvious inspiration for this move) was that you got art assets, templates, and could use a selection of the existing IPs from WotC. There's nothing in the announcement about art and templates, but it does say that existing settings won't be included.

What do you think? Do you intend to publish on the Adventurer's Guild? I know I do.
    Pinnacle Entertainment Group is thrilled to announce a brand new program for fans of Savage Worlds who want to share their content with the world. Shortly after the launch of the Kickstarter for the new edition (October 16th), we’ll open the Savage Worlds Adventurer’s Guild on OneBookShelf.com (DriveThruRPG.com and RPGNow.com).

Creators will be able to make and sell their own Savage Worlds creations with the public on those platforms without going through our normal official licensing program. That program will continue with our approved partners and licensees, while “SWAG” is primarily for new creators to have a platform where they can actually sell their work.

Some key changes in the Savage Worlds Adventurer’s Guild that will distinguish it from other “community content” programs include:

I posted this on FB, but I'll repeat it here as well:

I'm not sure what to make of it. On the one hand I think it's great to see Pinnacle introducing a more open license like the other guilds, however I have some serious concerns about the interaction of SWAG with the existing licenses.

Official licensees still have a much better deal -- they keep more of the profits, they can sell their products anywhere, they have access to the broader OBS marketplace, and they have other insider info like the private mailing list. Anyone wishing to sell Savage Worlds products will obviously still apply to become a licensee, just as anyone who DOESN'T want to sell their products will stick with the fan license.

Unless I've misunderstood something (which hopefully I have), SWAG will just become the fallback option for publishers who Pinnacle turn down. A Savage Worlds "reject bin", so to speak, segregated from the "proper" products. As a system-specific store, SWAG will only be of interest to fans of Savage worlds -- but if all the best products are on DTRPG/RPGNOW instead, I wonder how many Savage Worlds fans will even bother looking at SWAG?

EDIT: After talking to PEG and OBS, I can confirm that (unlike the Dungeon Masters Guild), products on SWAG will also appear on DTRPG and RPGNOW. This addresses my biggest concern, it means the SWAG products will not be hidden away from the main storefronts.
    Last edited by Zadmar; 09-12-2018, 11:39 PM.
    My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

• Mara
      Mara commented
      Editing a comment
      Look at it this way: Say I am not serious enough to want to go through the licensing process but I still think my work is worth money. SWAG!

This is the place to sell $1 one-sheets.

I think it's more likely (and has been the case with the DM's Guild, which is the obvious analogue here) that it's more like a first-step marketplace. Jodi confirmed on FB that they'll release art resources and templates to the community for use. I think it's likely that what will happen is that people who want to be publishers or writers will start out by writing on the SWAG, and then either get experience/startup capital to apply for a license, or get poached by an existing licensee to turn their small SWAG products into a full licensee product.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelDraco View Post
      I think it's more likely (and has been the case with the DM's Guild, which is the obvious analogue here) that it's more like a first-step marketplace. Jodi confirmed on FB that they'll release art resources and templates to the community for use. I think it's likely that what will happen is that people who want to be publishers or writers will start out by writing on the SWAG, and then either get experience/startup capital to apply for a license, or get poached by an existing licensee to turn their small SWAG products into a full licensee product.
      That may well be the case, but it would also seem to support my concern -- that people will only use SWAG until they can move over to DTRPG...
      My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Comment

• Kristian Serrano
        Kristian Serrano commented
        Editing a comment
        That's not true as far as I can tell. Storytellers Vault content appears in both places for example. I think the separation of content only applies to DMs Guild.

• Zadmar
        Zadmar commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not clear, we'll need to ask Pinnacle.

• Zadmar
        Zadmar commented
        Editing a comment
        Confirmed with PEG and OBS: Products on SWAG will also appear on DTRPG and RPGNOW.

Originally posted by Zadmar View Post
      That may well be the case, but it would also seem to support my concern -- that people will only use SWAG until they can move over to DTRPG...
      I think that's actually the point. I can certainly understand where you're coming from, but I still don't see it as something inherently negative. Honestly, what I can see is Pinnacle becoming much more strict when it comes to the official license and starting to reject a higher number of proponents. Which I also think is a good thing. They can still get their material out there through SWAG and make some money off of it, but official ACES will maybe follow a higher standard for quality. I think the FAN > SWAG > ACE ladder could actually lead to more connectivity between the licensing levels and higher quality products at the top.
      Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 09-11-2018, 09:43 PM.
      "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

They mentioned that the Fan License will still exist for people releasing free content. Does that mean we won't be allowed to have free as a price structure on SWAG?
        They also mention that SW isn't an open license, so does that mean if they read your SWAG material and don't like it, they'll tell OneBookshelf to pull it?
        If they really like it, will they approach the authors for an Aces license or will they have something similar to the DMG's Adept titles?

Also, who's going to be offering art packs for the authors? Free or otherwise.

Comment

• SteelDraco
          SteelDraco commented
          Editing a comment
          If it's like DM's Guild (which I'm sure it will have a lot of similarities to, since they're partnering with the same company) it will be reviewed before it's posted.

No idea on the approaching authors thing, but again, if it's like DM's Guild, that's not out of the realm of possibility. Several current WotC writers got their start on the DM's Guild. I'd be surprised if Pinnacle and licensees (Aces, in the new parlance) didn't start recruiting their writers from among the successful SWAG authors.

Oh, and Jodi confirmed on FB that they'll be releasing art resources and templates. Again, if it's like DM's Guild, you'll get access to some of that through the program, and then you'll be able to purchase the use of other resources on that marketplace. No clue if you'd be able to buy art resources from the DM's Guild and then use them in the SWAG, though.

Zadmar Just wondering, would this new license allow you to release SotGH Savage Worlds as a paid format ? If I recall, licencing was the roadblock that forced you to branch out of SW into your own system, but I'm curious to which extent this addresses these issues you encountered.

Comment

• Jebbou
          Jebbou commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, figured it was too late. Was just trying to understand whether this could have been released to address these kind of situation where someone having released fan content could then be able to expand on it and sell it once it becomes more solid.

• SteelDraco
          SteelDraco commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on how the licensing works, this could allow you to release it as a pay-what-you-want product, which was explicitly not allowed in the free license before. Or at least make some money off of the release if people want to give it to you.

• Zadmar
          Zadmar commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure if I'd bother making the setting PWYW, but it would be nice to offer a proper PoD option.

I wonder if they might expand this to the Fantasy Grounds and Roll 20 marketplaces?

Comment

Working...
        X