Force Field [SPC2]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force Field [SPC2]

One of my players asked about being able to create a force field (as in, a wall or bubble protecting several people, not just Armour trapped as force field). After looking through the powers list, I'm stumped, even though it's a pretty common power in comics. Force Control has a Force Field as a +3 modifier, but force control is basically green lantern -- this player wants to be Sue Storm. Just the force field, with none of all the manipulation options Force Control gives you.

It seems that a new power with a cost half-way between Armour and Force Control that has the same description as the Force Control Force Field modifier would plug the gap. So:

Force Field [1/level]
    The controller creates a sheath or bubble of airtight protective energy. As long as they are within her range, she may protect a number of individuals up to her level, providing each with +1 Armour per level. This requires intense concentration, so the controller suffers –1 per force field created or maintained in a round to all other actions. If she is Shaken or wounded, she must make a Spirit roll or drop all fields (automatic if she’s Incapacitated).

Modifiers:
    Heavy Armour (+4)
    Range (+2) the power's range doubles to 24"

I'm not 100% happy, because there's nothing that specifies size -- it's rated in "number of people", and I just know the player is going to ask things like "Is it wide enough to block the corridor?" Maybe each "person" equals a 2x2 yard square wall? (The per person thing is a bit weird in Force Control anyway. What if you have 2 levels in the power (2 people) but one person is 12" to your left, the other is 12" to your right? Have you made 2 bubbles? One big bubble that somehow distorts around everybody else near you?)

I'd just call it matter control; that kind of Force Field is just a wall of solid force energy that protects characters within, and those characters can't be affected until the barrier is broken. Throw on a major Limitation that the matter control can only be used to create simple barriers or bubbles rather than for offensive purposes and you're good to go.
    My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything. Now featuring Suppressive Fire that actually works!

Comment

I would use force control since the Force Field modifier is what you're describing. Just give the power a -2 Limitation: Cannot Attack.

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
      What if you have 2 levels in the power (2 people) but one person is 12" to your left, the other is 12" to your right? Have you made 2 bubbles? One big bubble that somehow distorts around everybody else near you?
      It's up to the player to describe what effect they want, but mechanically it would function as two independent bubbles.

Because this would be the character's only ability with the power (foregoing the ability to attack is a big drawback), I would alter the way Force Field works slightly. Instead of providing protection for 1 individual per level, I would change it to one bubble per level.

So if they only have one level in the power, they can only make one bubble... but it can still affect everyone within range. Basically it would be a huge bubble centered on the force controller, providing everyone within +1 Toughness. It would protect from any attack made from outside it's radius, but if a foe were to somehow push past the field, that foe would ignore its effect (and the field would now also protect the foe from outside attacks since they'd be within it).

But with each additional level in the power another force field can be constructed. This can be independent bubbles, but it can also be bubbles within a larger bubble. The character is paying the concentration cost, so I would allow the bonuses to stack.
      _______

Matter control, as DoctorBoson pointed out, is another good option (and it's 2 PP cheaper!), but the "force field" would work differently... it would probably use the Cover/Obstacles rules for attacking through it, or you might require the barrier to be destroyed before the characters can be harmed.
      ______

You can also use deflection with the Protector modifier. I would allow the character to buy Range at 2PP to affect allies out to 12". This would only protect against ranged attacks, but there's no concentration penalty. Since deflection is a passive power, you might want to give it Requires Activation to fit the theme.
      Last edited by Deskepticon; 08-12-2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

One of my players asked about being able to create a force field (as in, a wall or bubble protecting several people, not just Armour trapped as force field). ... this player wants to be Sue Storm. Just the force field, with none of all the manipulation options Force Control gives you.
        Clearly you never noticed the stories where Sue creates a force field bubble inside her foes, expanding it until they pop. She's a nice lady that understands restraint, but she can brutally kill people faster and easier than Deadpool can.
        I noticed them because they were some of my first exposure to the F4, and they've stuck with me to this day.

It seems that a new power with a cost half-way between Armour and Force Control that has the same description as the Force Control Force Field modifier would plug the gap.
        Force Field is +3 for a 2/level power. It provides +1 Toughness, which lets it stack with all other forms of protection. With a major limitation of "force field only" you're still looking at 3 + 2 per additional level Power Points.
        Armor is 1/level, provides +2 Armor, and is self-only.
        Toughness is 1/level, provides +1 Toughness and is self-only.

Matter Control provides Toughness 10 obstacles that grant +10 Armor to folks protected by them. +1 per additional level, costs 2/level.

Your Force Field provides automatic scaling (+1 Armor per level), and protects up to [Level] characters. It's half the effect of the same points in Armor, but you get to apply them to multiple characters. Coordinated with the party, so they don't take the Armor power themselves, this lets one character spend 8 Power Points to give four characters +8 Armor or +4 Heavy Armor.
        That's a bit too cheap, even with the limitations. If you decide to stick with a custom power then I'd recommend making it 2 PP, plus 1 per additional level.

I'm not 100% happy, because there's nothing that specifies size -- it's rated in "number of people", and I just know the player is going to ask things like "Is it wide enough to block the corridor?" Maybe each "person" equals a 2x2 yard square wall?
        Sounds like your player would be a lot happier with the mechanics of Matter Control (Force or Solid Light). Create walls and cages, push things around, ten yard punches, and keep friends and innocents safe with protective walls. And being Obstacles, they'll work for everyone.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Thanks, plenty to think about here. I never even considered *matter* control for an *energy* field, but looking purely at the game effects it probably is exactly what I need. I'll run it past the player and see if he's happy.

Comment

Working...
          X