Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Gun Metal Games] So, a 3rd edition of Interface Zero...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn't party to those discussions, but my understanding was that Frameworks were 1) too much work, 2) too powerful, 3) place too many limitations on character growth, 4) take up too much page space, and 5) exclude whichever concepts didn't become Frameworks.

• Salcor
    replied
    @Gunmetalgames,

Thanks for the release, the jumpstart looks amazing. One question on design, earlier in the design process you were considering using the Framework mechanic like Savage rifts. I was wondering in the process you decided not to go with that mechanic...that being said I love what you did modifying the core skills, that is a pretty elegant way of reflecting occupations will keeping it lower level.

Salcor

Leave a comment:

• Felix 987653
    replied
    The jumpstart is out and simply amazing!Lots of content and a solid glimp, on things to come.Have to gather my nerds and Run the krueger scenario ^^

Leave a comment:

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    Supposedly the Jumpstart will be out this week. Let's hope everything goes smoothly.

• Felix 987653
    replied
    I backed it ,too.
    Was sceptic after the Early pitches of the setting, but then totaly won me over.I am realy looking forward to the jumpstart :-)

Leave a comment:

• timjthomas
    replied
    So looking forward to this. Just pre-ordered.
    Last edited by timjthomas; 09-10-2019, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Soulsqueeze
    commented on 's reply
    My thoughts on using chase cards were really just the layout of the cards, nothing else. So instead of a regular dramatic task where you roll hacking three to five times, you let the cards dictate what kind of obstacle you're facing, i.e one card could be a regular Hacking roll to bypass, while another card could be a related skill check (Maybe Research or Notice? Or if you're using Skill specializations it could be variants of the Hacking skill). A third card could represent black ICE which would add a task token to the overall total you need or some penalty like that. It would add flavour and minor mechanical differences.
    Last edited by Soulsqueeze; 01-29-2019, 07:53 PM.

• Gunmetalgames
    replied
    Hi everyone, Here's the final preview link for the kickstarter for the SWADE edition of Interface Zero 3.0. There are images of the dice, bennies, and samples of the cards from the action deck.

We go Live at Noon Eastern time!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=b063c012

Leave a comment:

• mikeZekim
    commented on 's reply
    I did ponder using the chase rules, but ultimately rejected it for one major reason: There isn't anything to chase.

The chase rules assume that there is a chase with attacker and defenders. The cards are mainly used to show the relative ranges between the participants. Without at least 2 participants, the vast majority of the Chase rules make little sense.

As soon as ICE and enemy hackers are added to a chase scene, hacking turns into a mini-game played between the GM and the hacker, which is something that really needs to be avoided.

As for sys-Ops and AIs. I think that easiest solution is to have them perform Tests against the Hacker to make them Vulnerable/Distracted.

• Gunmetalgames
    commented on 's reply
    Soulsqueeze: Love the comments here, though I do agree with ValhallaGH that the chase rules would bog things down a bit, because that's kinda the nature of a chase. They aren't going to end quickly. Having each round give another obstacle (ICE, Sysop/ etc.) kind of defeats the purpose of a quick hack, though I do like the cards defining the type of problem a hacker can run into.

Hacking as a Dramatic task can be done quickly, especially if multiple people are helping. That's quite easy to do in SWADE with supporting rules. It's easy to have multiple characters wirelessly linked together via a TAPnet. Each character on the TAPnet can support the hacker if they have the hacking skill.

Also, in the Dramatic Tasks rules, it says this:

"Characters are dealt Action Cards as usual during a Dramatic Task. Those attempting the task make relevant skill checks and get a Task Token for each success and raise."

So if I'm attempting a challenging task, and get a couple of raises, I can hack through security pretty quickly, and that's really what I like about SWADE and the way they wrote Dramatic Tasks, and the hacking skill. Failures and Critical failures are where I'm going to have the ICE and other tricky issues show up.

• Gunmetalgames
    commented on 's reply
    ValhallaGH: I understand your concerns, but Interface Zero never had that problem. I wrote the 2.0 rules to avoid it, actually. Hacking in IZ is in real time, with generally one or two skill rolls, and I don't want to change that with SWADE. Hacking using a dramatic task, if designed right, won't take that much longer. The hacker concept in Interface Zero is designed so that the hacker can do things that benefit the team during combat.

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    The problem with too great a focus on Hacking is something ShadowRun runs into a lot. Hacking is usually covered by a single character, which means all other players are doing nothing during a Hacking scene - making it boring for all the non-Hacking characters.

Keep it fast, keep it simple to run, and make it be about as short at the table as picking a lock or pressuring a source.

Chases generally include all the characters, so they can be structured multi-round things and still be fun. Hacking will generally involve one or two characters, so it needs to be resolved in a couple of Turns or it becomes boring for the majority of the table.

• Soulsqueeze
    replied
    I'm also very interested in the hacking, good points from mikeZekim and Mr. Hexes and I agree with much of what they said. I would think a goal of hacking in IZ is to make it more interesting for both players and GM by adding genre-appropriate things like ice, trackers, viruses and such but keeping it close to the dramatic task rules in SWADE to keep it FFF.

As such, maybe it would fit to use the following:

Unrestricted systems: Single hacking roll, difficulty modified by possible complications (ice/virus etc) as Mr. Hexes suggested.

And the other tiers as per the Dramatic Tasks in SWADE:

Restricted systems: "Challenging" task - Collect four Task Tokens in three rounds.

Corporate systems: "Difficult" task - Collect six Task Tokens in four rounds.

Government systems: "Complex" task - Collect eight Task Tokens in five rounds.

I really liked mikeZekim's ideas (https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...6360#post16360) of ICE connected to cards. But how about taking inspiration from the new chase rules from SWADE instead of using Action cards? You deal out 3 to 5 cards (depending on the security rating of the system) equivalent to the Chase Cards in chases, but instead they represents an obstacle to overcome. Then it would be exiting for the hacker to draw those cards, and it would involve a bit of luck to avoid bad cards or draw easier cards. And I really liked the idea of a Hacker Edge that can manipulate cards.

Each security rating also has a baseline intrusion countermeasure defense like mikeZekim suggested, but the GM might modify or add different types of ice for flavor, and more difficult obstacles for higher security ratings.

For example, for a corporate system you could have:

Black numbered cards: Regular ice
    Red numbered cards: tracker or lesser virus
    Black face cards: "black" (deadly) ice
    Red face cards: potent virus/trojan
    Aces: Sys-op or AI
    Jokers: The hacker automatically bypasses this rounds obstacle, and collects 2 task tokens.

But I really liked the idea of named ICE, adds so much flavor to the hacking.

Also, for me one of the big issues with hacking is how to keep the Hacking skill the most important "asset" to the hacker, and not let codebreaker engrams dictate how effective the hacker is at his job.

Oh, and what are your thoughts on sys-ops or AI's? Will there be special rules on how the hacker deals with that (i.e combat) or can they be dealt with within the dramatic task narrative?

Leave a comment:

• Gunmetalgames
    replied
    I'm happy to announce that the Kickstarter for Interface Zero 3.0 will launch on Tuesday, January 29th!

Leave a comment:

• Erolat
    commented on 's reply
    For some reason the middle part is getting cut. First guess would be that the preview is not shared properly. (Not sure how KS does that so no idea if that is a thing.) Even if I cut and paste the address it comes up cut out.
Working...
X