Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Gun Metal Games] So, a 3rd edition of Interface Zero...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had so many thoughts that I have been having a hard time organizing them.

Thought #1

Focus on the player characters and what they are to do in the world.

Yes, this seems obvious, but I've seen way too many games become enamored with their setting details that the role of the PC is lost.

My favorite example of this is Fading Suns. I was super excited when that game came out and I loved the setting. I loaned the book to a potential player and his only question after reading it was : "So what do the players do?" It was then that I realized that I didn't know either.

Thought #2

Savage Worlds is a game system design to produce fairly competent characters involved in activities that often lead to violence. The setting should reflect that. Again, obvious, but I've seen settings designed in such a way that use of violence was a rare exception rather than the norm.

Thought #3

Settings need fault lines that generate conflict. Again, this seem obvious, but a great many authors tend to tie-up all of their loose-ends and have conflicts be at equilibrium.

Star Wars is a great example of a setting with fault lines. In the original series, there was the Empire, the Rebels, and Rogues (bounty hunters and crime lords). Even if the PCs tried living ordinary lives, the intersection of the three factions would lead to complications and thus adventures.

Blue Planet RPG is another great example. That setting had so many fault lines running through it, I was able to write a 3-4 page "newspaper" as a handout before each session.

One of my favorite fault line from IZ2 was the Russia/China conflict. The campaign that I designed for IZ2 (FATECore Edition) was the liberation of Siberia from China.

Thought #4

Groups need a reason to adventure together.

Games like D&D and Shadowrun are great as it is easy to justify why a group of individuals routinely faces danger together.

The further that one gets from a team-focused setup, the more difficult it becomes. I ran two different Dresden Files campaigns, and the hardest thing to do was find reasons for every single player to get involved in the current adventure.

This was a problem with the original Cyperpunk game from RTG (aka Cyperpunk 2013). They had a number of different archtypes such as Rocker and Nomad that would make sense working together in a one-shot adventure, but not over a long campaign.

Thought #5

The Underground RPG had a really cool system that described the social-economic parameters of an area. Depending on the campaign, the area could be as small as a single neighborhood or as large as a nation. This allowed player a tangible way of changing the status-quo.

A similar system could be developed for IZ3 and be tied to city trappings, allowing areas to evolve over time in response the characters' actions.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your input!

Here is a new setting rule for 3.0 covering drones. It's a bit of a work in progress, but in general, I wanted drone use to be much easier to deal with than it was/is in 2.0. There will be a ton of gear tables dealing with upgrading drones, adding attachments for specific weapons and tech, etc.

DRONES ARE YOUR FRIEND

Drones are everywhere in 2095. They are used for delivery services, as messengers, and especially security, surveillance tasks. The average sprawler interacts with drones on a near-daily basis, and many own one. To reflect this, we take advantage of the Allies rules in Savage Worlds Adventurers Edition, allowing your characters to use any drones they own as allies. If your character has a Vehicle Control Interface implanted, her Leadership Edges apply to any drones she controls in combat.

Drones come in two basic types: Basic(A) drones, and Smart drones.

BASIC(A) DRONES

Basic drones have animal-level Smarts. They do not have access to any Drone Edges. You can give Basic drones simple commands, e.g. “guard this door” or “attack that person”. In general, these commands should take an Action to execute. Tasks like guarding a position would constitute a Hold Action, and can last for as long as needed, though a Basic drone tasked with guarding a position would need more direction if someone actually attempted to move past it.

Just like “human” allies, they have skills, which come in special modules. Each skill module provides a set of skills which represent the drone’s core programming, similar to Core Skills for a character (For more information on skill modules, see page XX). Basic drones may never have a skill module ranked higher than d6.

Basic drones can shoot or wield any mounted weapons or activate any installed tech so long as they have the associated skill.

SMART DRONES

Smart drones are more expensive than basic drones, because their core processing units have Artificial Intelligence.

Smart drones are artificially intelligent. They can have skill ranks higher than d6 and are only limited by the amount of cryptodollars you want to spend. Unlike, basic drones, smart drones can accept complex commands like “Shoot anyone with a security badge and assault rifle,” or “ Provide Covering fire at point X for 2 rounds, and then move to point Y and cover that position’.

They can also have special Drone Edges applied to them (see page XX for a list of Drone Edges). Smart drones also have personalities. To determine a smart drone’s personality, use the table for allied personalities in the Savage Worlds Adventurers Edition core rule book.
    Last edited by Gunmetalgames; 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Erolat
      Erolat commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I would put the "(A)" in the drone title. The description covers exactly what that implies and it makes it cleaner. It is also implies there may be a Basic(B) drone available. At least that was my first thought.

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it's just a reference for me right now for stat purposes. The entry won't look that way in the book.

Hi everyone,

I hope you had a wonderful holiday! I'm popping in to give you a preview of the base framework for the Hacking rules Interface Zero 3.0 will employ. This is just the basic framework. We'll have a bunch of elements that support the system; things like gear, edges, programs, and a list of security add-ons and Intrusion Countermeasures you'll be able to use to make your computer systems/Tendril Access Processors and other things unique without messing with the core framework.

The idea is simplicity: Keep things FFF while providing a robust toolkit to create cool stuff.

HACKING THE WORLD

In 2095, computers and networks are the nervous system of society, linking people and things together in ways past generations could only imagine. Some users can link multiple drones together and create swarms that are an extension of their mind. Personal weapons can link with the TAP, becoming an extension of your body. Those who know how can invade multiple computer systems or hack the world around them with the right skills and cutting-edge programs.

The following section gives you everything you need to know if you want to hack in 2095. We discuss linking multiple devices to your TAP and show you how you can use programs to aid you in your assault on an individual computer, an entire network, or even someone’s brain via their Tendril Access Processor. For more detailed information on the development of information technology, hyper reality and the Tendril Access Processor, see Computers in 2095 on page XX.

SYSTEM
    In 2095, computer technology has reached the point where things we only thought possible in the realm of science fiction movies and other media are a daily reality. Artificial Intelligence is ubiquitous. Entire city infrastructures are monitored and maintained by AI. Indeed, the sprawl you live in is often best described as a “smart city,” where everything is monitored; communications, air and ground traffic, the power grid, the TAPnet, and other critical regulatory services are all controlled by AI…

And it all happens at the speed of thought.

Gone are the days where a hacker spent hours and even days pounding away at a keyboard trying to penetrate a secure website. Now, hackers make use of exploits, Line of Sight Trigger (L.O.S.T) technology and Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to invade computers, networks, individual devices, and the Tendril Access Processors of their targets as fast as you can flip off the safety on your AGA Vindicator.

Interface Zero uses both the Hacking skill and the Dramatic Tasks rules found in the Savage Worlds Adventurers Edition to quickly resolve any hacking attempts your characters attempt while on a mission. The following rules define when to simply use a Hacking skill check to invade a system, or when to use a Dramatic Task. We’ll also discuss the levels of security you’ll encounter and what they mean, the types of intrusion countermeasures (I.C.) you’ll have to deal with if you activate them and introduce new uses for the Hacking skill.
    COMPUTER SECURITY SYSTEMS

As computer technology advances, hackers and others also increase their proficiency at breaking into secure computer systems. To counter hacking attempts, the evolution of anti-hacking software must increase exponentially. In 2095, those who wish to protect sensitive information make use of all manner of tech; cutting-edge antivirus software, smart machines, and even Artificially Intelligent entities capable of bringing a world of hurt down on any script kiddie or brainer stupid enough to venture into their domains are used to keep a computer system safe.

This section shows you how to quickly apply beefed up defenses to your computer systems. We’ll introduce various elements of security including intrusion countermeasures, firewalls, smart machines, and AI machines.

Note: When we refer to computers in general, we call them computer systems. When specifics are required, we use the terms computer, device, network, or Tendril Access Processor (TAP).

SECURITY RATINGS

All hackable systems have a security rating based on the tech level of the system. The security rating determines how many successes (if any) are required to penetrate the computer system. Some systems (like a simple lock on a door) might only need a single success on a Hacking skill roll (4 or higher), while other systems (like an automated gun turret) might require four or more successes within five rounds!

The five security ratings are as follows:

UNRESTRICTED
    Unrestricted computer systems and networks are found throughout the sprawl in libraries, coffee shops and other places that offer free WIFI service to their patrons. In a combat situation, extras have unrestricted security on their gear and TAPs. Wildcards never have unrestricted security for their gear/TAPs.
    Security: Hacking roll
    Security Variables: Low-level I.C. are the most common software installed on unrestricted systems, though some rare servers might have extra firewalls and alarms.

RESTRICTED
    Restricted systems are the most common type of system found in the sprawl. The average sprawler’s TAP security is restricted, as are home security systems, vehicle controls, weapon TAP links, security cameras…pretty much any type of computer system you’ll encounter outside of a coffee shop, library, restaurant or some other public venue has restricted access. Wild cards at Novice, and Seasoned ranks typically have, at the bare minimum, restricted-level security for their TAPS and gear. Extras can also have this level of security if the GM wishes.
    Security: Dramatic Task [ between 3 and 5 successes in 5 rounds]
    Security Variables: Anti-virus software suites, intrusion countermeasures, offensive programs and other special software may be installed in these computer systems.

CORPORATE
    As the name implies, corporate computer systems are often found in buildings and other properties owned by corporations. Wild Cards of Veteran and Heroic rank have these systems installed in their gear and TAPs. Extras can have this level of security at the GM’s discretion.
    Security: Dramatic Task [between 5 and 8 successes in 5 rounds]
    Security Variables: Alarms, Antiviral software, Smart systems (d8 Notice skill) monitoring peripheral components, AI systems (d10 Notice skill) monitoring mainframes and networks,

GOVERNMENT
    Government security systems are state of the art. Fast processing units, AI monitoring systems, and intrusion countermeasures capable of generating enough heat in your TAP to fry your brain like an egg. Wild Cards at Legendary rank typically have this level of security installed in their gear, though extras might have a lower tier of security.
    Security: Dramatic Task [Between 7 and 10 successes in 5 rounds]
    Security Variables: Alarms, A.I systems (Notice d12 -D12+3) lethal I.C. and other elements.

__________________________________________________ ____

Here is a framework for computer systems. This will be where we give the basic statblock on systems, so you can tell at a glance what needs to be done to hackj a system, and what a character can do once they have hacked it.
    TYPES OF COMPUTERS

The categories of computers define a number of things, like whether or not a simple Hacking skill check is appropriate or a Dramatic Task (and the appropriate number of successes within 5 rounds) is needed, the consequences of failure, and what you can do once you have hacked it.

Entries
    Each type of computer system is formatted as follows:

Name: The name of the computer system. This can be anything. Some examples are “Home Entertainment System,” “SATA-22G TAP,” “Century-series 9 Weapon Processor,” “Kenta Cyberdynamics Anti-Theft System,” etc. While we will certainly have many types of computer systems, devices, and other stuff designed for you, get creative when making your own!

System Type: This entry defines whether the system is a computer system, device, network, or a Tendril Access Processor.

Security: The security entry tells you if you need to make a Dramatic Task or a Hacking roll. If resolution requires a Dramatic Task, the entry will also tell you how many successes you need to achieve within 5 rounds. For more information on the Hacking skill and Dramatic tasks, see the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition.

Success: If you successfully hack into the computer system, this entry tells you what sorts of things you can do. For example, successfully hacking a micro processing unit for a security camera allows you to change the security protocols, turn the camera on/off, edit the feed, and even overload the processor itself, which can cause the camera to explode!

Failure: Failing a hack can have a variety of consequences, depending on the type of system, its tech level, and any intrusion countermeasures (I.C,) or programs running on the system. Before anything happens, the computer system must recognize the failure.

If a character fails her Hacking roll, the system gets to make a Notice roll. Success indicates the system has recognized the intrusion attempt and launches an intrusion countermeasure. This entry lists the Notice skill die of the computer system, and what countermeasures it can run.

Critical Failure: Critically failing a Hacking skill roll automatically alerts the system of the intrusion attempt. The system immediately launches an I.C. and triggers an alarm.
    Last edited by Gunmetalgames; 12-26-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the insights.

I agree it should be pretty easy to handle a dramatic task in combat. One of the reasons I opted for Dramatic tasks (beyond them being specifically called-out in the rules) was the idea that you can now do the same thing over and over again with actions (but you take a MAP), which means the hacker can attempt to push her skills to the max, though I personally think they are more likely to fail, especially with more secure systems.

It can speed things up while retaining the "dramatic" feel, IMHO.

Mr Hexes' comments below about applying penalties to hacking rolls for higher-rated security systems would work well, too.

• mikeZekim
      mikeZekim commented
      Editing a comment
      I confirmed on the Facebook group that Dramatic Tasks can be done during combat and that Multi-Action is allowed.

One thing that I am concerned about is options for hackers. If they only have to focus on 1 skill with Edges and Gear to boost it, I'm worried the game becoming boring for those characters.

Unfortunately, this creates a design trap as the more details are added, the more hacking becomes an involved mini-game.

One of the big design changes SWADE is the negation of penalties instead of adding of bonuses. For example, instead of Aim giving +2 to Shooting, it negates up to 4 points of penalties from Range and Cover.

This allows things to overlap without creating a large bonus. After all, once a penalty is negated, it can not be negated again.

This brings to mind a possible TAP programs or Edges similar to the Calculating Edge. For example, if an Action card is X the hacker can ignore 2 points worth of complications.

Combine this with Mr. Hexes suggestion of penalties. If the penalties are named, various TAP programs and Edges can be created to negate those specific types of penalties.

Another idea is Attack Surface area. Have systems rated by how many hackers can attack or provide support each round.

An Attack Surface of 1 would mean that 1 Hacking roll per round with 1 other Support attempt.

On the Hacking side, gear (or TAPs) can have an ROF rating (Threads?) that allows 1-5 dice rolled per attempt (at a penalty) limited by the Attack Surface rating of the system.

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Good thoughts, MikeZekim. I'm going to, in part, deal with some of your concerns by having skill specializations for the Hacking skill. I'm expanding the skill a bit to give characters more things to do with the skill; things like using hackign to mask their signatures and make it harder to trace them, or ways to hack multiple systems at once.

I'm not sure I'm happy about having multiple hackers aid eachother. It's always seemed like a solitary thing to me, and I_MAY_write a setting rule that doesn't allow it....not sure yet.

Programs and edges should be fun to create; I just have to decide exactly how to work programs.

Thoughts part 2.

Thought A: Tone

Pizza Delivery Driver and the picture for Taxi Driver generally make me roll my eyes. It is very '80s cartoon. I generally dismiss that stuff as drek that shown on the vids for kiddies.

I generally stick to Ghost in the Shell or Bubblegum Crisis when thinking on how a cyberpunk society would look and feel like.

Thought B: Flavor vs Information

While I'm all for describing the world in an "in character" voice, the description needs to actually have information in it.

Even after reading the description of Virtual Racer, I haven't a clue about the occupation.

Thought C: Environs

What the heck are "Wastelands"? They are mentioned often in the book and made out to be fairly common; however, there isn't a real description of them.

I'd like to see the different environs described better. Defining features, who lives there, what is produced, etc...

Thought D: Economics

With the world moving towards a post-scarcity economy with more and more automation along with the rise of the gig-economy, what are the economic drivers of the world at the end of the 21st century?

Do stores even exist or are they simply a virtual interface over a fabber? Do offices exist or does everyone tele-commute via TAPs?

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      The Pizza Delivery driver was a nod to Snow Crash, and the taxi driver artwork is great, imho. Art is subjective. Interface Zero embraces a lot of styles. I like Ghost in the Shell and Bubblegum crisis, but...you're saying the concepts in IZ were 80's cartoon, and you referred to actual cartoons as things that inspire you? Ghost in the shell and Bubblegum crisis were "cartoons" as well, so I'm not really sure what the point is here, other than to throw shade on the setting.

I think Interface Zero is probably not your cup of tea.

• mikeZekim
      mikeZekim commented
      Editing a comment
      First of all, the second line of this entire thread is:

I really want to know a few things, like, what you did/didn't like about 2.0 in terms of BOTH RULES AND SETTING.
      Well, in general, I don't like '80s cartoons in my cyberpunk.

By '80s cartoons, I generally refer to shows such as GI Joe, M.A.S.K., Transformers, Jayce and Wheeled Warriors, C.O.P.S., TMNT, The Centurions, etc...

Shows that were created in the '80s to sell toys, featured over-the-top action, and completely thumbed their nose at reality. Shows where a character, like Snake-Eyes, can walk through a mall fully-armed to buy a Christmas present and nobody blinks an eye.

The illustration of the cab reminds me of those cartoons. It has nothing to do with the quality of the illustration, which is very good, but the subject matter.

We have a cab with a big-arse rotary cannon and a smaller anti-material gun aimed forward on the right-side of the vehicle. As it is the future, I'm going to completely ignore the engineering issues. (If I can ignore the engineering issues with golem mechs, I can do the same for weapons mounted on cars.)

The prime issue that I have is that it is a dog-fighting setup. The driver has to maneuver the car to point at the target. If a cab is attacked by a biker gang, the driver isn't going to try and get away, they are going to turn around and engage.

It reminds me a of a large number of toys that were released in the '80s. Looks cool, totally impractical for its stated purpose.

I cite Bubblegum Crisis and Ghost in the Shell as examples as it is easy to google images of those shows. Despite cyberpunk being around since the '80s, there hasn't been a large number of series in the genre.

Any while the cartoons I cite earlier and anime that I use as inspiration are all animated, there is a definite difference in target markets. BGC and GitS are aimed at the late-teen and later demographic and put a lot more thought into the world-building and character designs. The '80s cartoons mainly existed to sell toys and was aimed at a younger demographic.

BTW, having grown up in that era, I do dig '80s cartoons.

I think Interface Zero is probably not your cup of tea.
      I actually like IZ quite a bit. It is easy enough to ignore or tone down things like the combat cab and pizza delivery driver.

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for clarifying!

As a GM running a 2.0 campaign with a hacker PC, I generally like where you're going. There's some cool flavor in the 2.0 system, but it is a little difficult to parse or know what to do in some situations.

I agree that Dramatic Tasks for crunchier hacking is the way to go, especially with how they've been modified in SWAdE.

That said, I think you may he going down a somewhat unwieldy road with the number of successes for more secure systems. You may be better off beefing those up by increasing the penalty to the Hacking roll for the DT, and having harsher consequences for failing rolls mid-Hack.

Back of the napkin brainstorming, something more like:

Unrestricted: Success (possibly with penlties to the roll for minor upgrades)

Restricted: 3 successes (with penalties from 0 to -2 depending on, say, Firewall quality? decent notice, and non-lethal IC)

Corporate: 5 Successes (with penalties from 0 to -2, high Notice, and non-lethal IC in all but the most secure/secret areas)

Government: 5 Successes (with penalties from -2 to -4 with very high Notice, and much more common lethal IC)

Corporate and Gov data would also have nasty surprises riding them. Trackers, Trojans, slow counter-hacks, TAP and gear disabling viruses, etc.

After running Savage Worlds for years, I've come to think large penalties and even things like large numbers of successes for Dramatic Tasks become cumbersome at the table. Yeah, the lower number of required successes mean PCs will crack systems more often which may seem like it's not in keeping with the bleaker aspects of Cyberpunk. To really hammer home the seriousness of the risks involved, I think you do that with severe consequences.

Outside of hacking, something to consider. A couple of times it's come up at the table what gear and cyberware (if any) require a TAP to be active to use. The two non-hacker PCs I have end up switching off their TAPs for any kind of encounter, which can really take the wind out of a GM's sails. And there's nothing anywhere that says something like a Smartgun System needs an active TAP to function. And most of the entries only describe mechanical effects. The Smartgun System description, for instance, only tells you what it does mechanically. Not what it is in-universe. This makes it difficult to adjudicate things like the situation I described above.

I don't expect everything to require a TAP, but some things feel like they should.

​​​​​​Anyway, just some thoughts. Love the setting, and I'm looking forward to what you do with 3.0!
    Last edited by Mr. Hexes; 12-27-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for your feedback. I think you might be right about the penalties. We still have to play test these rules.

This time around we'll be dealing with cybernetics and detailing what links up with the TAP and what doesn't. Something to keep in mind is that the TAP acts like a thyroid gland, monitoring most active cybernetics and other things like communications gear and other tech that you can link up with the TAP. I'll make sure and deal with it (and some other pesky kinds of malware that can activate a TAP) in 3.0.

• Mr. Hexes
      Mr. Hexes commented
      Editing a comment
      Clearly, I had not read the newer version of Dramatic Tasks as thoroughly as I thought I had. What you posted here was quite well in line with them. I may have been speaking a bit out of school. Regardless, I'm still excited for 3.0, and I hope to get my group in on the playtesting! The rubber meets the road at the table, so we'll see how everything plays out there!

I have to admit that I've always had a soft spot for hacking in cyberpunk going all the way back to the original Cyberpunk game by RTG

The general downfall of most cyberpunk hacking systems is that they often turn into a mini-game involving only the hacker and the GM using an arcane set of rules that only the player really knows well.

I like the idea of using Dramatic Tasks to handle the hacking and I have been pondering how to gin it up to represent ICE in such a way that it doesn't slow down the Dramatic Task.

Here is what I came up with. Feel free to use as little or as much as you like. It is completely unplaytested, so I won't be offended if folks think that it doesn't work.

Definitions:
    Host - The target system. It can be a mainframe, TAP, gun, etc..
    Hacker - The character doing the hacking
    ICE - Software running on the Host that is triggered by the Hacker's Action Card
    Security Level - The penalty to the hacking roll.
    Hacking Skill - Has several specialties such as protocols, security, and encryption. Others can exist, but those are the ones that I'm going to use for this example.

Hosts are rated by security level, success tokens, and time limit
    ICE is rated by die type/security level

Example:

Stan-Dard Corp Mainframe (Security Level: +0, Tokens: 5, Rounds: 4)
    • Jokers: None (d6, Security Level: +0)
    • Spades: Tracer (d6, Security Level: +1)
    • Clubs: Code Wall (d8, Security Level: -1)
    • Hearts Numbers: Code Wall (d6, Security Level:+0)
    • Diamonds Numbers: Fire Wall (d8, Security Level:-2)
    • Red Face Cards: Guard Dog (d8, Security Level:-1)
    The main idea is that the Hacker's Action Card determines which ICE is encountered. Targets can have up to 54 different ICE slots defined, but in general will be grouped to just a few. This allows systems to be as complicated or as simple as needed by the story. It also gives a reason for hackers to take Action Card manipulation Edges. (How hackers know what ICE is tied to each card is undefined)

Story-wise, if a hacker encounters ICE that they are not prepared for, they spend time looking for a way around it. This is represented by choosing to skip the the Dramatic Task for the turn.

The penalty to the hacking roll is the sum of the current Security Level of the Host and the Security Level of the ICE.

The Hacking Specialty to use depends on the ICE encountered. The entire penalty from the Security Levels (Host plus ICE) is considered to be the type defined by the ICE. So, Edges and Programs that negate certain types of penalties can negate the penalty from the Host's security level if the correct type of ICE is encountered.

ICE

ICE defines the roll/penalty type and 4 outcomes: Raise, Success, Failure, Critical Failure

None (<default>)
    There is no ICE present. The Hacker uses <default> specialty to hack.
    • Raise: No Action
    • Success: No Action
    • Failure: No Action
    • Critical Failure: No Action
    Guard Dog (Security)
    A low-level piece of black-ice. Sticks around if not avoided.

While Guard Dog is on-guard, it supersedes the normal ICE triggered by the Hacker's Action Card.
    • Raise: Guard Dog doesn't spot the hacker and moves on.
    • Success: Roll Notice. If success, Guard Dog is on-guard; otherwise, it doesn't spot the hacker and moves on.
    • Failure: Guard Dog does 2 dice worth of damage to Hacker and goes on-guard.
    • Critical Failure: Guard Dog does 3 dice worth of damage to Hacker and goes on-guard; Hacker loses 1 Success Token (if any).
    Code Wall (Encryption)
    A encrypted barrier blocks the way into the system.
    • Raise: All Encryption ICE becomes Vulnerable for rest of Hack.
    • Failure: Roll Notice, If Hacker is spotted raise security level by 1.
    • Critical Failure: raise security level by 1, hacker loses 1 success token.
    Firewall (Protocol)
    A standard challenge/response system
    • Raise: All Protocol ICE becomes Vulnerable for rest of Hack.
    • Failure: Roll Notice, If Hacker is spotted, Hacker becomes Distracted for the rest of the Hack.
    • Critical Failure: raise security level by 1.
    Tracer (Security)
    A standard piece of white-ICE. It checks to see if users are accessing the Host from authorized locations. Not liked by hackers as it will often log their location, even if it doesn't set off the alarms.
    • Raise: No Action
    • Success: Roll Notice and logs location if successful.
    • Failure: Roll Notice and sends location to security team if successful.
    • Critical Failure: Raise security level by 1. Roll Notice and sends location to security team with a high-alert if successful.
    If interested, I can write up an example hack using the above.
    Last edited by mikeZekim; 01-03-2019, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
      Gunmetalgames commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, This is pretty cool stuff!

• mikeZekim
      mikeZekim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. As I mentioned, feel free to use it or ignore it.

Years ago I used to run the playtest program for FFG. One of the main rules that I told playtest groups was that they were free to submit ideas, but not to advocate for them once they were submitted unless invited by the developer to do so.

Hi everyone,
    I've been working on building the kickstarter page. Once I have it finished, I'll share it with you guys. These are the pledges I'm having. Let me know what you think, please.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Gutterpunk [15.00]
    At this pledge level, you get a PDF of the Interface Zero 3.0 core book (estimated 208 pages in length). See delivery times for more information.

Script_Kiddie [25.00]
    This is the best pledge for digital backers. This pledge includes the Interface Zero 3.0 book, the GM’s Guide to 2095, the intro adventure in pdf, and all digital Stretch Goals! See delivery times for more information.

Old school Ronin [30.00] (limit 1,305 BACKERS)
    This one’s a special deal for backers from the first Interface Zero Kickstarter for Savage Worlds (We’ll be checking to make sure you are a backer). At this pledge level, returning backers get both the pdfs, and print copies of Interface Zero 3.0 and the GM’s Guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in PDF and POD (Print on Demand). See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Cybermonk [30.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules in print and PDF, and all digital stretch goals. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Corporate Wage slave [40.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules and the GM’s guide to 2095 in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Gearhead [45.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Syndicate member [60.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. You also get a single Action Deck. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Razor [80.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. You also get a single Action Deck and a Way of the Gun Deck. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Southland Ganger [100.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. You also get a single Action Deck, a Way of the Gun Deck and our 3-panel custom GM screen. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Net Jockey [125.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. You also get a single Action Deck, a Way of the Gun Deck, our 3-panel custom GM screen and a pack of 20 Bennies. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Stopwatch Agent [150.00]
    At this pledge level, you get the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, and the introductory adventure in both print and PDF along with all digital stretch goals. You also get 2 Action Decks, a Way of the Gun Deck, our 3-panel custom GM screen and a pack of 20 Bennies, and a set of dice with a custom wild die. See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Vegas Fixer [200.00]
    This is our best value. At this pledge level, you get more of everything; the Interface Zero core rules, the GM’s guide to 2095, the introductory adventure in both print and PDF, all digital stretch goals, 2 Action Decks, 2 Way of the Gun Decks, our 3-panel custom GM screen a pack of 40 Bennies, and 2 sets of dice with a custom wild die. Additionally, you get POD vouchers for each digital stretch goal we reach (all digital stretch goals will be a minimum 16 pages in length). See shipping and delivery times for more information.

Comment

I think the pledges seem to be at the right price level for what you get when backing this kind of project. I will probably back this project, but which level will depend on if the project is EU friendly or not.

For example, if I back the Vagas Fixer at 200$ + shipping, then I would have to pay between 250 to 300$ + shipping, which I not sure if I will. Whereas if EU friendly I will only pay the 200$ + shipping.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
        Gunmetalgames commented
        Editing a comment
        Shipping is rough for you guys, I know. I'm hoping to work out some of the kinds, and maybe even do a EU-friendly POD pledge, though that will ultimately make getting things like bennies and dice not worth it.

Right now, shipping is what it is.. expensive as heck.

I'm also still trying to adjust the pledges, so these aren't the finals yet..but it's close.

I assume Old School Ronin doesn't apply to IZ2 backers.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
        Gunmetalgames commented
        Editing a comment
        Umm. That's exactly who it applies to.

• paladin2019
        paladin2019 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hoody Hoo!!!!

Hi everyone, here is some new setting material for Interface Zero that begins to bridge 2090 with 2095. I call it "the Reclamation War".

Instead of rewriting the entire timeline, I'm going to leave most of it in place and move towards a unified "America" through one single war that ends the nation states and brings everyone back under control of the North American Coalition. This war has probably a zillion possible ramifications, which I'm sure some of you will see right away. My first thought is that the United States will definitely have the dystopian elements I wanted, because the NAC is the quintessential "Evil Empire." I tried to be short and to the point, but I need to do some more writing about what happens in the next three years.

Let me know what you think.

The reclamation war

The year is 2095.

It’s been three years since the Reclamation War ended and America was made “whole” again, just as President John Cromwell promised when he became the leader of the North American Coalition in 2088. Indeed, the seeds of the war were planted in the Atlantica cities of Boston and Portland when First Sergeant John Moore—a North American Coalition special forces operative—bombed the cities, killing 2,451 people back in late 2090. The North American Coalition vehemently denied orchestrating the attacks, even after a video surfaced showing Moore and a team of operators coming out of one of the buildings just before the explosions went off, positively identifying him.

This came at a time when both the North American Coalition and the Nation of Atlantica were embroiled in a territorial dispute over the New York Reclamation Zone. Tensions had already been high, but when the identity of John Moore was finally revealed, Altantican President Martin Hughes ordered a retaliatory missile strike on the NAC operating base and Golemmech Division One’s Headquarters on Staten Island.

The attack was largely rebuffed by the North American Coalition’s VANGUARD III missile defense system, though 249 people died and roughly a quarter of the golemmechs were destroyed. They say alliances are tested when blood is shed, and as soon as the missiles and troops rolled North and East from North American Coalition bases, Atlantica soon found out who she could count on.

The Republic of Cascadia petitioned to rejoin the NAC rather than inflame the already-growing tensions on her Eastern border. The North American Coalition tentatively accepted on the condition that President Gabriel Ono—a simulacrum—abdicate his office in favor of a governor to be nominated by President Cromwell’s administration. President Ono agreed even as military units rolled into Spokane, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland and Eugene.

The people of Deseret initially balked at the idea of losing Zion. The quorum of the 12 apostles seemed ready to fight against the NAC should it invade Deseret, but after days and weeks of protests, they capitulated, ultimately joining the NAC.

Texas initially chose to stay out of the war. Their military were already occupied dealing with the rising threat of Mexico to the south. But after a closed-door meeting with the North American Coalition ambassador, the CEO of Act of God Armaments and President Jason Meyers, Texas rejoined the growing union. Afterward, no less than ten NAC golemmech divisions and support troops deployed to El Paso to help bolster the Texan army.

The members of the United Combine security council stood by their alliance for six months until August 7, 2091, when North American Coalition forces attacked the strategic command base just outside of Detroit with a new kind of weapon of mass destruction. North American Coalition weapon platforms in space dropped a single Kinetic Energy Weapon— 2000 lb. rod of tungsten—on the base, delivering a blast the equivalent of a medium-range nuclear-tipped ICBM. Shortly thereafter, the United Combine withdrew their troops from all battlefronts, leaving Atlantica by herself.

The North American Coalition would use the kinetic energy weapons—now dubbed Thunderbolts—three more times on Atlantican military forces, with the final thunderbolt hitting in the suburbs just outside of Boston with enough force to level thirty city blocks. The Nation of Atlantica surrendered the next day, formally ending the Reclamation War just over one year later.

Comment

Hi everyone, This is what I have so far for the kickstarter page.

I don't have stretch goals yet, and am still working on getting correct shipping costs, but if you could please look it over and give feedback, that would be great.

Kickstarter preview page
        David Jarvis/Gun Metal Games is raising funds for Interface Zero 3.0 on Kickstarter! The third edition of Interface Zero for the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
          Gunmetalgames commented
          Editing a comment
          From the bottom:
          Our plan is to have the book ready to go to the printer in June, 2019. After that, printing will take approximately 8 to 12 weeks, so we should be getting them right at the end of August, 2019. Once we get the books in our warehouse, we'll start shipping them to you, along with any other physical rewards you ordered.

You'll get the pdfs as soon as they are finished.

• mikeZekim
          mikeZekim commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw that part. It just doesn't say that the PDFs will be sent out in June and the delivery dates for the electronic only tiers, such as Gutterpunk, list August 2019.

• Gunmetalgames
          Gunmetalgames commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok I see what you mean. I can fix it.

OK. Here's an updated link for the kickstarter page:

LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Gunmetalgames View Post
          OK. Here's an updated link for the kickstarter page:

LINK
          That just takes me to kickstarter's home page, not an IZ3.0 preview.

Two things I need to be clear on.

1. I didn't miss the KS, did I?

2. IZ3.0 will be SWADE based?

Comment

• farseerixirvost
            farseerixirvost commented
            Editing a comment
            This is the URL that comes up for me, which isn't IZ3. But I'm on a Samsung tablet and despite it being Firefox browser, it still doesn't always work like a real computer.

https://www.kickstarter.com/#project-preview

• paladin2019
            paladin2019 commented
            Editing a comment
            Your link got truncated, from the middle.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...roject-preview

• Erolat
            Erolat commented
            Editing a comment
            For some reason the middle part is getting cut. First guess would be that the preview is not shared properly. (Not sure how KS does that so no idea if that is a thing.) Even if I cut and paste the address it comes up cut out.

I'm happy to announce that the Kickstarter for Interface Zero 3.0 will launch on Tuesday, January 29th!

Comment

I'm also very interested in the hacking, good points from mikeZekim and Mr. Hexes and I agree with much of what they said. I would think a goal of hacking in IZ is to make it more interesting for both players and GM by adding genre-appropriate things like ice, trackers, viruses and such but keeping it close to the dramatic task rules in SWADE to keep it FFF.

As such, maybe it would fit to use the following:

Unrestricted systems: Single hacking roll, difficulty modified by possible complications (ice/virus etc) as Mr. Hexes suggested.

And the other tiers as per the Dramatic Tasks in SWADE:

Restricted systems: "Challenging" task - Collect four Task Tokens in three rounds.

Corporate systems: "Difficult" task - Collect six Task Tokens in four rounds.

Government systems: "Complex" task - Collect eight Task Tokens in five rounds.

I really liked mikeZekim's ideas (https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...6360#post16360) of ICE connected to cards. But how about taking inspiration from the new chase rules from SWADE instead of using Action cards? You deal out 3 to 5 cards (depending on the security rating of the system) equivalent to the Chase Cards in chases, but instead they represents an obstacle to overcome. Then it would be exiting for the hacker to draw those cards, and it would involve a bit of luck to avoid bad cards or draw easier cards. And I really liked the idea of a Hacker Edge that can manipulate cards.

Each security rating also has a baseline intrusion countermeasure defense like mikeZekim suggested, but the GM might modify or add different types of ice for flavor, and more difficult obstacles for higher security ratings.

For example, for a corporate system you could have:

Black numbered cards: Regular ice
            Red numbered cards: tracker or lesser virus
            Black face cards: "black" (deadly) ice
            Red face cards: potent virus/trojan
            Aces: Sys-op or AI
            Jokers: The hacker automatically bypasses this rounds obstacle, and collects 2 task tokens.

But I really liked the idea of named ICE, adds so much flavor to the hacking.

Also, for me one of the big issues with hacking is how to keep the Hacking skill the most important "asset" to the hacker, and not let codebreaker engrams dictate how effective the hacker is at his job.

Oh, and what are your thoughts on sys-ops or AI's? Will there be special rules on how the hacker deals with that (i.e combat) or can they be dealt with within the dramatic task narrative?

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
              Gunmetalgames commented
              Editing a comment
              Soulsqueeze: Love the comments here, though I do agree with ValhallaGH that the chase rules would bog things down a bit, because that's kinda the nature of a chase. They aren't going to end quickly. Having each round give another obstacle (ICE, Sysop/ etc.) kind of defeats the purpose of a quick hack, though I do like the cards defining the type of problem a hacker can run into.

Hacking as a Dramatic task can be done quickly, especially if multiple people are helping. That's quite easy to do in SWADE with supporting rules. It's easy to have multiple characters wirelessly linked together via a TAPnet. Each character on the TAPnet can support the hacker if they have the hacking skill.

Also, in the Dramatic Tasks rules, it says this:

"Characters are dealt Action Cards as usual during a Dramatic Task. Those attempting the task make relevant skill checks and get a Task Token for each success and raise."

So if I'm attempting a challenging task, and get a couple of raises, I can hack through security pretty quickly, and that's really what I like about SWADE and the way they wrote Dramatic Tasks, and the hacking skill. Failures and Critical failures are where I'm going to have the ICE and other tricky issues show up.

• mikeZekim
              mikeZekim commented
              Editing a comment
              I did ponder using the chase rules, but ultimately rejected it for one major reason: There isn't anything to chase.

The chase rules assume that there is a chase with attacker and defenders. The cards are mainly used to show the relative ranges between the participants. Without at least 2 participants, the vast majority of the Chase rules make little sense.

As soon as ICE and enemy hackers are added to a chase scene, hacking turns into a mini-game played between the GM and the hacker, which is something that really needs to be avoided.

As for sys-Ops and AIs. I think that easiest solution is to have them perform Tests against the Hacker to make them Vulnerable/Distracted.

• Soulsqueeze
              Soulsqueeze commented
              Editing a comment
              My thoughts on using chase cards were really just the layout of the cards, nothing else. So instead of a regular dramatic task where you roll hacking three to five times, you let the cards dictate what kind of obstacle you're facing, i.e one card could be a regular Hacking roll to bypass, while another card could be a related skill check (Maybe Research or Notice? Or if you're using Skill specializations it could be variants of the Hacking skill). A third card could represent black ICE which would add a task token to the overall total you need or some penalty like that. It would add flavour and minor mechanical differences.
              Last edited by Soulsqueeze; 01-29-2019, 07:53 PM.
          Working...
          X