Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Gun Metal Games] So, a 3rd edition of Interface Zero...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With today's Kickstarter update, I learned that IZ3 is going to be a thing.

For IZ2, I've mainly focused on the FATE version, but I also have some of the SW books as well.

(Will have to get the PDFs this weekend to reference as all of my books are at home and I'm on a buisness trip)

Sadly, my local group couldn't grok FATE and I was planning on switching to IZ2 (Savage Worlds) once we finish with Flash Gordon.

Not much to add at this point, other than I am excited about SWADE and IZ3.

Comment

I am very excited to see a new edition of interface zero in the works. This has been one of the top three games in terms of attendance and feedback that I run for store demos one convention one shots. I really only have two observations at the moment.
      hybrids have been always stood out in the game and not in a positive way. Compared to the other player races the animal hybrid feels unnecessary. I find players struggle with the additional effort to suspend disbelief with the inclusion of the race and this is a game that contains psionics. I have since removed any reference to them in my games.
      My only other issue i have had was with the setting material and the manner in which it was presented. There is a great deal of reference to world changing events or famous personalities but often, I could find no information about the original event. It felt like the setting details were more of an update to a previous work, that without being able to reference, left many parts of the setting a confusing puzzle. Because of this, I tended to restrict play to areas that were more clearly documented such as the free city of Chicago.
      I wish you success on this new edition and look forward to learning more about how the game will evolve.

Comment

• Soulsqueeze
        Soulsqueeze commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a comment about hybrids. They exist in my game, but are far less common. They also look more human (for the most part), sort of if you look closely on a person you will notice some alterations or mannerisms. Of course, you have exceptions, there's always some crazy people who take their transformation too far.

Hi there!

One thing I've been dealing with as I plan and write for 3.0 is the idea that cyberpunk is a fundamentally "human" experience. How do humans keep pace in a world where technology is making it harder and harder for someone to make ends-meet without getting augmented in some form or fashion. Androids, Robots, clones, artificial intelligence; It's hard to compete for work in a world where a clone can do your job for a fraction of the pay, or a robot that can work 24/7 without rest.

This is primarily why people get modded in 2095. Some do it overtly, with cybernetics, but others get bio mods, or even mess with their genetic structure and become "hybrids." The goal of hybrids never was about giving "fantasy" races; I just wanted to explore the realm of genetic modification, which IS very real, mind you, and the science will only get better.

Comment

You make a very good point about the focus of cyberpunk and I completely agree that as humans in such a situation as described in Interface Zero, we would make use of most any technology to stay relevant. I think the big turnoff from the players standpoint is that it is based on animal templates, I have heard the term furry races used at the table, though just all that this implies is a little beyond me. I think it would fit with the other races better if these were more human perhaps by dropping the animal part and simply focusing on the area's that genetic tinkering is able to modify. Animal charecteristics if really desired could be a trapping or cosmetic mod that players could add if they really wanted to play something that really stood out. I guess in my mind I am translating what I hear from players (and my own opinion) that they would like more Cyberpunk 2020 and less elements that seem to be pulled from Shadowrun. Hope any of this helps.

Comment

I didn't pull elements from shadowrun. Fact is, Interface Zero will always get comparisons to shadowrun, and I can't help it, because shadowrun is one of the most popular cyberpunk rpgs out there.

Comment

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you did. That must have come out wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriellyon View Post
              Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you did. That must have come out wrong.
              No worries. I've just dealt with this issue for a very long time, and it's a bit of a sore spot. You have nothing to apologize for.

Comment

I am very excited for a new edition of Interface Zero. Any sense of when the Kickstarter will begin?

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
                  Gunmetalgames commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm anticipating running the KS around the 20th!

So now that we can discuss elements of SWADE openly, I'll be discussing more major changes to Interface Zero in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

Comment

One of the first things my team and I have been discussing are the races we want to have for the setting. I'm wanting to move towards a more human-centric setting, because I think it's more cyberpunk.
                  Right now, cyborgs and bioroids have been cut, and I'm on the fence about hybrids and androids, so you tell me. Do we keep androids and hybrids, or do they go?

Comment

I'd say androids stay, hybrids go.
                    Androids open up a beloved sub-category of punk stories firmly in line with cyberpunk. They should be rare player characters but they can be a great addition to the themes. (Techno literacy, dystopian oppression, the definition of "alive", the definition of "person", wealth disparities, etc.)
                    Hybrids don't have that thematic weight - even uplifted animals are mostly a racism allegory, and IZ hybrids were modified human stock. I'd keep them in-world as a trapping on bio-ware (especially older biological enhancement technology), incidentally letting "that guy" play his cat-boy concept, but remove them as a separate race.
                    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 12-09-2018, 12:45 PM.
                    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

It looks like hybrids and androids are staying. Pretty big response to this in a poll on facebook.

Comment

• Soulsqueeze
                        Soulsqueeze commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi David. Where is this poll you are referring to?

I don't know much about Interface Zero. I always knocked it off as "the Savage Worlds version" of... a certain other popular cyberpunk game. And I felt that was being generous. When 2.0 seem to get a lot of buzz, I asked someone how cyberware was handled. I was told they were Edges. I dismissed the setting after that, as it didn't strike me as a terribly creative way to handle things. To be honest though, I've been burned out on cyberpunk for awhile. I've never been able to run a successful game, because I have totally different expectations/interests than most of the players I've encountered who sit with me to play... that other game.

The thematic changes to what the Interface Zero setting "is about" described during the recent kickstarter and in some of your comments here is what has me pretty excited about this product. It's easy to get the distracted by all the flashiness of cyberpunk -- the explosions, crime, hacking, vehicles, swordplay, psychotic mayhem -- but I'd like to see a setting where something else shine through -- a defiant streak of heroism and human influence straining to be heard through all the chrome and neon. But I'm a sucker for all the "unlikely heroes in a dark world" stuff.

It's pretty clear I may be a minority in this. A lot of people like playing as greedy criminals, out to make a fast buck and will shoot you in the eye if you look at them funny. People seem to like playing as murders, thieves, gang members, etc. I never found a group I could really play cyberpunk with. For starters, when I generate characters, I always started with their normal life. There's a batman quote that says all it takes someone to become Batman is "one bad day". I like my characters to be normal people who have had "one bad day" that changed their lives. I like to imagine how some of these people even keep ties to their former life, or build a new life for themselves. Some people want to play expert hackers or gun toting maniacs or ninjas... I like to describe how people got that way... that's the story I want to play out.

...and then I want to find ways to make them heroes. It's just the sort of fiction I like. I never understood the routine of taking jobs to hoard a bunch of money so you can buy more equipment to take bigger jobs. It didn't work for me in the world's most popular fantasy RPG and it doesn't work for me in cyberpunk. Not for very long, anyway. My fantasy games were never about wandering mercenaries looking to take a job or loot old burial sites... they were about politics, intrigue, courtly romance, war, and betrayal.

I don't expect any product to write for my interests. But it looks, unless I've misunderstood something, like Interface Zero might be going in a direction I like in this new 3.0 version being brainstormed. It certainly has my attention. I look forward toward reading your jump-start.
                      Last edited by LordRahvin; 12-12-2018, 05:54 AM.

Comment

HI sir,

Whoever told you cybernetics were edges was wrong. Cyber is gear you can buy, similar to what's in the sci-fi companion.

The new version will be handling much of what you want in a game through a life path system, and campaign themes. Campaign themes give the party a type of focus to the game, while life paths dig into your character's life before Novice rank. With these you'll be able to build characters that have interesting backgrounds that inform the type of role you wish to play in the campaign theme.

Here's a skeleton of life paths I'm using as a template.

Character creation overview
                        Your characters had lives before they began their professional careers. Their families, friends, dreams, fears, goals; these aspects of your character’s past are (barring wholesale murder and memory wipes) very much a part of their present day reality, and not simply backstory filler. Your character’s history should have a direct impact on who she is and what she wants to do. Normally, when you create your Novice character, you can choose from a variety of races, Edges and Hindrances, and spend your 5 starting attribute points and 12 skill points (See the Core Skills information in the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition core rulebook) to flesh out your character and bring her as close to your concept as you can. In Interface Zero you do that as well. Before that process begins, however, you need to determine your character’s race, and something we call a Life Path.

life paths
                        A Life Path is a basic template that loosely represents your life before you begin play at Novice rank. It determines your core skills, specializations, starting cryptodollars, starting gear, and possible contacts; people she knows who can give her aid if she ever needs it.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
                        Name: The name of the life path. It should be thematic and specific, like Sniper, Street Fighter, Script Kiddie, Triad 49'er (Soldier in the triad), or Freelance Reporter
                        Description: Short description of the origin.
                        Core Skills: The core skills this origin has.
                        Starting Skill Specializations (2): The origin gives a specialization of the character's choice for 2 of the core skills
                        Starting cryptodollars: Starting money. This is essentially money that has been saved up prior to entering professional life
                        Starting gear: Basic gear packages that fit the concept of the origin
                        Origin ability: An origin ability should be, at most, a +2 benefit. This should be tied to the origin of the character in some fashion. So, a script kiddie wouldn't have exception shooting skills or an athletic ability
                        Regain Conviction when: This entry defines when the character can get a point of conviction.
                        __________________________________________________ _________________________________

It's a basic template, and rough, but should give you an idea of the potential for life paths.

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
                          Gunmetalgames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not sure what you mean by setting variant. If you don't want a life path, don't take one.

• paladin2019
                          paladin2019 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lifepaths sound similar to SR Iconic Frameworks, giving extra character creation resources at the expense of some customization ability. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. How else are we supposed to realize Molly or Turner? I'm looking at a lower powered variant, like if using a lifepath defaults starting characters to IZ2's Street Soldiers power level, please don't forget the Gutter Punks power level.

If Lifepath is just a setting specific name for archetypes, nevermind.

• Gunmetalgames
                          Gunmetalgames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Life Paths aren't simply archetypes; They are basic templates that you can use to define what type of person your character was before they started their professional lives. You should be able to take one of the life paths (or even design your own: there will be guidelines) and use it as a basic framework that best suits your character's background. In this way, you create a foundation that helps provide some focus for choices you make during character creation, such as the types of edges/hindrances, ability score builds, skill choices that best suit the type of character you want to play. I don't want to limit customization at all.

All right, good talk everyone...great conversation. Applause, all around.

So, lets get down to brass tacks--when is the IZ3.0 KS? Sign me up. Lets do it!

Comment

• Gunmetalgames
                          Gunmetalgames commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Kickstarter will be some time in January.
                      Working...
                      X