Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adamant: Mars

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I have been having fun running some more test battles. I do see that I need to get a better feel for the mechanics of the game. (For example Red Martians start as Novices with two Advances.) So I’m going to put Mars itself on hiatus while I’m testing with standard Novice characters.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Ninja-Bear View Post
      (For example Red Martians start as Novices with two Advances.) So I’m going to put Mars itself on hiatus while I’m testing with standard Novice characters.
      Just to be clear, Red Men begin with a number of abilities that puts them over the standard "+2" race, but they don't start with two Advances.

      As mentioned by others previously in this thread, Mars is a poorly balanced setting when it comes to races, and written in a way that doesn't follow standard Savage Worlds formatting. For one thing, every race begins with a d6 in Survival. This technically should be listed as a Setting Rule (since it reinforces the setting convention that life on Mars is trying), and should not be factored into a race's point value. Instead, the setting should "up the ante" when it comes to frequency and/or difficulty of Survival checks so that that free d6 becomes the new baseline. (I am unsure if the setting actually does this, but in theory, it should; otherwise, it effectively does mean races start off that-much-more powerfully.)

      Red Men get a free Edge (aka: Adaptable in SWADE) and a d6 in one skill of their choice. By Deluxe pricing, these ablities total somewhere around +4.
      • +2 for the Edge
      • +1 for d6 in one skill, and probably another +1 for the choice (because it synergizes with the free Edge)
      This may be the "equivalent" of two Advances, but it's not actually the same as starting with two Advances. The character does not begin the game two Advances away from Seasoned... they still must reach a fourth Advance to attain that Rank.

      It's important to use proper nomenclature here as saying the one thing when you mean another can yield incorrect results.

      ___________

      In all honesty, though, if you plan on running Mars, I would suggest starting a topic about converting it to Adventure Edition (with complete rewrites of the races). My brief glance through the book sent up several red flags, and you'd really being doing yourself and your players a favor by addressing these flaws.

      Cheers mate!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

        Just to be clear, Red Men begin with a number of abilities that puts them over the standard "+2" race, but they don't start with two Advances.

        As mentioned by others previously in this thread, Mars is a poorly balanced setting when it comes to races, and written in a way that doesn't follow standard Savage Worlds formatting. For one thing, every race begins with a d6 in Survival. This technically should be listed as a Setting Rule (since it reinforces the setting convention that life on Mars is trying), and should not be factored into a race's point value. Instead, the setting should "up the ante" when it comes to frequency and/or difficulty of Survival checks so that that free d6 becomes the new baseline. (I am unsure if the setting actually does this, but in theory, it should; otherwise, it effectively does mean races start off that-much-more powerfully.)

        Red Men get a free Edge (aka: Adaptable in SWADE) and a d6 in one skill of their choice. By Deluxe pricing, these ablities total somewhere around +4.
        • +2 for the Edge
        • +1 for d6 in one skill, and probably another +1 for the choice (because it synergizes with the free Edge)
        This may be the "equivalent" of two Advances, but it's not actually the same as starting with two Advances. The character does not begin the game two Advances away from Seasoned... they still must reach a fourth Advance to attain that Rank.

        It's important to use proper nomenclature here as saying the one thing when you mean another can yield incorrect results.

        ___________

        In all honesty, though, if you plan on running Mars, I would suggest starting a topic about converting it to Adventure Edition (with complete rewrites of the races). My brief glance through the book sent up several red flags, and you'd really being doing yourself and your players a favor by addressing these flaws.

        Cheers mate!
        Oops my bad. On pg. 38 Mars talks about how characters have an additional step whereas the PC’s start with an additional 10 XP which gives enough for two Advances. And that apparently applies to any race a player chooses.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Ninja-Bear View Post

          Oops my bad. On pg. 38 Mars talks about how characters have an additional step whereas the PC’s start with an additional 10 XP which gives enough for two Advances. And that apparently applies to any race a player chooses.
          Oh, my mistake. I had read that quickly my first time looking at the book, but misunderstood it as a suggestion for starting at a higher level/Rank. (Lesson learned!)

          You're right that the setting gives you two Advances in addition to having above-standard races, but that applies to all characters, not just Red Men.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post

            Oh, my mistake. I had read that quickly my first time looking at the book, but misunderstood it as a suggestion for starting at a higher level/Rank. (Lesson learned!)

            You're right that the setting gives you two Advances in addition to having above-standard races, but that applies to all characters, not just Red Men.
            Yeah, that’s been me too. Reading too quickly hence I’m slowing down and starting with just Novices and just the Core to get more familiar with the system. I just ran a Half-Folk Wild Card against 4 goblins (2 with bows and two with maxes and shields. Last several battles have been against the 4 goblin squad). This time I really saw the bennies in action as the first goblin racked up a 19 pt hit! I eventually overcame them. The very last goblin was an archer which I took out by Aiming and rolling really well with my dagger.

            Comment


            • #51
              This game uses the Florentine Edge. (Yes I know they eliminated it in SWADE but I’m not using SWADE.) I did look at some of the problems with Florentine. Im going to keep it however with a minor change. I’m just going to ignore the shield qualifier in the description. IOW, it just grants the +1 as long as you have both weapons.

              Comment


              • ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                That part of Florentine was folded directing into the base two-weapon rules in Adventure Edition. The reduced Gang Up was given to Block.
                There's nothing Florentine does that isn't still in the game - except the waste of an Advance.
            Working...
            X