No announcement yet.

Adamant: Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So let me ask, how deadly is 2D6? I did happen to do one shoot with a crossbow and with a raise rolled 3d6 and did 20 points of damage. Took out a standard Green Martian extra in one hit!

Comment

With exploding dice a d6, on average, will do a little over 4 points of damage and as you point out if it gets really explody can do a whole lot more. I know one person described how a character with d4 strength and a dagger did something like 54 damage. It can happen. That's why balancing combat is a bit of a crap shoot. A horde of extras can be very dangerous but on the upside a group generally can be depended on killing them in job lots. It's just a matter of whittling the numbers down before the GM gets lucky with a damage roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja-Bear View Post
        So let me ask, how deadly is 2D6?
        2d6, including Acing, averages 8.4 damage. That's a reliable Shaken on human-like foes but an unreliable kill.
        With the +d6 of a raise, that's an average +4.2 damage (12.6 total). A reliable Wound on human-like foes.

Acing damage means that any attack that gets to roll damage can one-hit kill the target.
        2d4 can roll 47 damage (thanks rat swarm!) while 6d8 can roll 8 damage (that was a disappointing rocket). My table damage record was done by a pistol that deal 2d6-1 Damage; the character hit with a Raise and aced ridiculously to a final total of 1802.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          2d6, including Acing, averages 8.4 damage. That's a reliable Shaken on human-like foes but an unreliable kill.
          With the +d6 of a raise, that's an average +4.2 damage (12.6 total). A reliable Wound on human-like foes.

Acing damage means that any attack that gets to roll damage can one-hit kill the target.
          2d4 can roll 47 damage (thanks rat swarm!) while 6d8 can roll 8 damage (that was a disappointing rocket). My table damage record was done by a pistol that deal 2d6-1 Damage; the character hit with a Raise and aced ridiculously to a final total of 1802.
          I’ve seen where as a house rule, you can only Ace once.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            I've seen that too. It causes a lot of "cannot harm foe" issues. I vastly prefer the Wound Cap setting rule, which limits the number of Wounds that can be caused by a single attack.

Savage Worlds is unique in that for Ranged Attacks besides Edges and taking cover, you can’t (as far as I’m aware of) do a Evasion type of maneuver to make it harder to be hit by ranged attacks. So this is a paradigm that I need to adjust to.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            You can take the Defend action.

I thought you could with Defend but the last time I read it I thought I was wrong and Defend was only for Parry not Ranged attacks. I’m mean I think you should be able to.

Comment

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            Doh!
            You're right. Forgive my late-night mutterings.

SWD : if a character Defends "his Parry is increased by +2 until his next action"
          SWADE : a character can "focus all her energy and skill into defense against melee attacks with the Defend maneuver."

You can always house-rule that it applies to ranged attacks. I would visualize that as the character constantly bobbing and weaving while standing in place.
          Last edited by ZenFox42; 10-01-2021, 01:13 PM.
          Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases (all SWD)
          Also:Persuasion (SWADE),Better Bosses (SWADE),Handling Illusions (SWADE), Better Combat Rating (system independent)
          And:historical tech levels,generic SW sci-fi tech levels (both system indepdent)

Comment

Unless the GM has you fighting on a giant pool table there should be some decent cover that will be superior to anything you could get from a defend house rule. Besides as a fairly decent shot I can tell you that bobbing and weaving in place out in the open is just an embarrassing way to die. I suppose you could try it as a test which could work once while the shooter is distracted wondering why the crazy fool is dancing around rather diving behind a rock.

Aslo, with cover you can shoot back.

Comment

Originally posted by Radecliffe View Post
              Unless the GM has you fighting on a giant pool table there should be some decent cover that will be superior to anything you could get from a defend house rule. Besides as a fairly decent shot I can tell you that bobbing and weaving in place out in the open is just an embarrassing way to die. I suppose you could try it as a test which could work once while the shooter is distracted wondering why the crazy fool is dancing around rather diving behind a rock.

Aslo, with cover you can shoot back.
              From a realistic POV, yeah however once again I’m talking Cinematic. Did Errol Finn worrying about being in the open? Batman? John Carter?

Comment

Cinematic or no, none of those characters maneuvered around by themselves in the open. They were usually hip deep in melee which is it's own kind of cover. In a gunfight yes they did go for cover often as not. Though on Mars sword fights are the norm as opposed to a shootfest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja-Bear View Post

From a realistic POV, yeah however once again I’m talking Cinematic. Did Errol Finn worrying about being in the open? Batman? John Carter?
                  Soaking is how Savage Worlds allows characters to mitigate damage. If a player Soaks all the Wounds from an attack, there's no reason they can't describe that as juking the attack.

This is only another example of how increasing Bennies is a much better way to represent a cinematic setting. Bennies control the narrative, often putting that control directly into the players' hands.

Besides, damage in Mars is not really that big a deal. The Heroic Survival setting rule makes death all but impossible, even eliminating permanent Injuries. The only way a character can be killed is by a Finishing Move, and that is almost always within the purview of the Game Master. Damage and Incapacitation are more like a means by which the storyline can be altered. The hero never dies; they just find themselves waking up in different situation (captured, abandoned, stripped of all supplies, etc).

Comment

It’s funny you mentioned about Soaking because they way you described it, I have no problem with. I do however ran across people who do have a problem of a Soak voiding out damage.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                      ValhallaGH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Do those same folks object to Hit Points? Because the narrative effect is the same - the blow does not cause fatal damage despite being capable of it, but does consume a limited resource.

• Deskepticon
                      Deskepticon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't mean for this to sound condescending, but you are a self-proclaimed "noob" at Savage Worlds, and mentioned your players have even less experience with the system. I don't hold that against you or them; I was a noob too, once, and had many misconceptions about the system (as others on the forum can probably attest to). Having reservations about certain mechanics is not unusual, but to anyone that doesn't like the idea of voiding damage, I'd implore them to play the system a few times and get a feel for it.

Savage Worlds can be very deadly, where even the lowliest creature is capable of killing a battle-hardened hero. Soaking is a mechanic that gives players more control over their character's fate, especially against what might be considered "cheap shots."

Sorry about the confusion about Soak. I wasn’t referred by to my players. I meant I’ve seen people on other forums who have a distaste for Soak type rules.

Comment

Ok, I was able to run a few battles with Extra with Ranged Attacks (Crossbows and a throwing knife) against my Wildcard. And the TN 4 wasn’t as horrible as I first thought. Especially when the book extras don’t have either skill listed. 1d4-2 is tough to hit anything! One battle though the crossbow rolled really good. And I took 3 wounds but then managed to Soak one of them. Staring to get a better feel for the game.

Comment

• ArtWend
                        ArtWend commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, Savage Worlds can be deceptive on a read through in that it's not quite as simple as it seems. There are a lot of moving parts that work together very well to bring about a pretty nice feel (for me). Once I had those figured out, the system sorta flows, if you get what I mean.

For some people, that means it flows right into the trash bin, but for others (like me!), it flows into gaming goodness!

ArtWend, I’m definitely getting a better feel of the game than when I tried Superheroes/Necessary Evil. Some of it is that I have to set aside other games and just focus on Savage Worlds.

Comment

Working...
                      X