Loving Big Apple Sewer Samurai!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving Big Apple Sewer Samurai!

I recently bought Big Apple Sewer Samurai, haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've shown it off to my SW group and everyone seems interested to give it a go, so hopefully I'll have some insight soon.

I'm interested to hear if anyone here has given it a shot and has any opinions or advice to share. I'm also interested to know if anyone knows more about the lore. I know most of it is TMNT, but I know there's a bunch of other stuff that I don't recognize. I know BASS isn't supposed to be exact, but if anyone knows more about what shows they are referencing, it'd help us fill in some mental gaps.

Basically every 80's and 90's cartoon / toy commercial about animal action heroes is referenced. TMNT, Street Sharks, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars, Danger Mouse, Dinosaucers, Tigersharks, Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa, Biker Mice from Mars, SWAT Cats, Extreme Dinosaurs, Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys, etc.

That said, the big influences appear to be TMNT (several iterations), Street Sharks, and Battle Toads.

I used it for a one-shot, which went fine. Seems good for a campaign but I've got enough other campaigns I want to run that I don't expect to get to this before 2029.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

What floors me is the amount of material in that book.

The thing is a true love letter and while my mind jumps instantly to TMNT and BraveStar there are tons of comics and shows it can handle.

Comment

• paladin2019
        paladin2019 commented
        Editing a comment
        BraveStarr? Interesting.

• Ndreare
        Ndreare commented
        Editing a comment
        Cartoon talking animals. Science fiction technology, and magic animal powers.
        Last edited by Ndreare; 08-27-2021, 02:55 AM.

• paladin2019
        paladin2019 commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what it is. Powers of hawk, wolf, puma, and bear. Just interesting that that's there, too.

My three main inspirations for BASS were TMNT, Gargoyles and Cybersix (the last two being my two favorite shows as a kid). I also watched a ton of Denver the Dinosaur, Kidd Video, Mordicus, DuckTales and Rescue Rangers. So they probably also inspired me subconsciously.

Thing is, the cartoons of the 80s and 90s share so many narrative tropes I realized it could emulate so many shows I never even knew existed (I'm not from the US and a lot of those shows never aired in my region)

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a quick rundown of the closest equivalent for the main adversairies.

Braxton Entreprise: a mix between Baxter from TMNT and Von Reichter from Cybersix

The Oracle: David Xanathos from Gargoyles

Visage: Foot Clan and Shredder from TMNT (which were themselves a rip-off from the Hand in the Daredevil comics)
        Last edited by dentris; 09-01-2021, 09:48 PM.

Awesome, thanks everyone. My group is doing a one-shot BASS adventure this week to get a feel for it, so I'll have more info afterwards. So far, we've got a lot of different opinions about how to do this. One wants to try this with gritty damage, (which makes sense to me, I guess because the mutants and psychics and whatnot remind me of post apocalyptic stuff), another wants it to be super cartoony, I think he's got a Futurama-esque adventure in mind.

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        I think clarifying what kind of game it's going to be is important. There are few things worse than having the wrong expectations.

I forgot to give my report. We all enjoyed it, the GM went for a super goofy Futurama inspired story. It went a little haywire, because two of us min-maxed ourselves to death, and the other one had never played Savage Worlds before, and the GM had played Savage Worlds a bunch but hadn't GM'd it, so he kinda over fortified his final encounter, since he's seen our GM creations get absolutely massacred. So we had ourselves a tragic ending, but we still had fun and we all left wanting more.

Comment

• dentris
        dentris commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy to hear everyone had fun. Good news is, The Death and Inevitable comeback Setting Rule means even a TPK isn't the end. Draw your cards and see what fate has in store for your characters.

• AcetheSuperVillain
        AcetheSuperVillain commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, we drew our comeback cards and acted them out as the last part of the game. My character got brainwashed and joined the enemy. The other defeated player lost his memory and ran off into the sewers. The last mutant standing dropped to her knees and realized she was all alone in the world. And then we politely pointed out that we weren't actually dead, just incapacitated, so that shouldn't have happened, but the tragic ending made it more interesting. And since we were testing out the system, we figured we might as well test out that aspect of it.
    Working...
    X