Seven Worlds conversation and errata thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Worlds conversation and errata thread

Now that the Seven Worlds Setting is out (and the campaign modules are slowly getting released) several people have suggested a location for sharing comments and errata. I'm thus creating this thread for that purpose. Feel free to post your comments, questions and errata over here!

Luis
    [email protected]
    http://www.sevenworldsrpg.com

Hi Luis. I think I'm still having an issue understanding how Assistants work. From the text it sounds like Assistants are programs that exist in the V-World only. Is that correct? Does that mean that if a player finds himself in a scenario where the V-World is not available (such as a newly discovered planet) then the Assistant is not available either? If an Assistant is only software, and recently updated, can a player in effect "outrun" his updated Assistant by travelling along a non-Stellar Communication Network and find an older version of his Assistant at a place like Logan's End before the backups of the Assistant occur?

Comment

Some details I might have missed in my read through.
      1. Are the names of the ID tag registrars ever given?
      2. Are the names of the currencies for the non-Earth governments ever given?
      Should the above details be something that each GM should make for their own campaigns?

Comment

On page 138, under "Attacks and Damage" a +2 bonus to Shooting is noted:
        Attacks are handled using the normal rules from Savage Worlds. Note that all Shooting rolls against ships have a +2 bonus to the roll, because it is almost automatic to aim and hit at enemy ships in space. Since all spaceships have the Improved Stabilizer characteristic, Unstable Platform penalties do not apply in space combat, and the Steady Hands edge is not needed.

Later, under "Lasers and Particle Beams" a +2 bonus to Shooting is noted again. At first read this would seem to imply that the +2 bonus from the earlier section could stack with the +2 bonus listed under Lasers and Particle Beams. However, none of the examples show this, so I'm assuming this is just a reiteration of the general +2 bonus that is granted for space combat. None of the other sections fore specific weapons mention this. You might consider removing the first sentence in this section stating "Laser and Particle beam weapons are fired with a Shooting roll with a +2 bonus to the hit roll".

Comment

Thanks for sharing all these points! Clarifications follow:
          1. Assistants are in V-World AND in the character's digital "offline" space (usually accessed via the lenses). This means they always are there, next to their owner.
            For practical purposes the Assistant is a sidekick that allows players to do cool stuff to the virtual and physical environments by interacting with them.
            In short, Assistants are ALWAYS available to characters but depending on V-World availability and connectivity, all their flexibility and power might not be (Background:
            I wanted players to have an interesting way to have "powers" that allow them to do interesting things around them, while keeping the characters human (instead of alien, cyborg or whatever). Assistant Special Actions do that. At the same time, Assistants have personalities, which allows for interesting role-playing situations).
          2. Assistant updating: The main copy (authoritative, in tech lingo) of an Assistant is the one the character carries, and if there's connectivity it is always in sync with V-World (which syncs copies asynchronously as described in the book). If for any reason the Assistant became corrupted or something happened to it (great plot idea! A side story explores this as well) then the backups in V-World enter the picture. Restoring an Assistant from backup should be the only scenario where the Assistant could lose memories or skills. It is very uncommon.
          3. The names of the IDTag registrars are not given in the book. It is a section I decided to cut and that might explore in a supplement in the future. The only thing I'll share about it now is that IDTags are the most obvious way in which the four tech giants of today who handle our IDs would evolve. There's lots of opportunity for drama here (you know, how come the Seven Worlds did not end up as a cyberpunk dystopia?). In the meantime, as a GM feel free to create whatever you like!
          4. No currencies for Earth governments are given, create them as you please. My thoughts are that tradition is a very hard thing to break, so many current currencies will be there in the future... maybe in a different format and structure but keeping their traditional names
            (Ethereum UK Pounds?)
          5. There is only ONE base/core +2 bonus to Shooting. I added the "note that all Shooting rolls against ships have a +2 bonus" text so people are sure to not miss it. Guess I overdid it and now it looks like its a stack of bonuses Will take a note of that for clarification.
          Hope that answers everything!

Luis

Comment

I believe the pricing you give for the assistant skill modules might need modification. Skill modules with a wild die are more effective than a skill module with a higher skill, but no wild die to a point. For example, a Level I Master program grants a d4 skill die + d6 wild die at a cost of $100. A Level II program grants a d6 skill die only at a higher cost of $150. Mathematically the Level I Master program is more effective than the Level II program. I recommend reorganizing and renaming the skill modules. The comparative probabilities can be compared below:
            PC - With Wild Die - Percent chance of success TN 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 d4 95.8 83.3 62.5 50.0 32.3 27.1 19.3 16.7 12.6 8.5 4.3 4.3 3.5 2.6 1.8 1.3 0.8 0.7 0.5 0.4 0.3 d6 97.2 88.9 75.0 55.6 30.6 30.6 25.8 21.0 16.0 10.8 5.5 5.5 4.6 3.7 2.8 1.8 0.9 0.9 0.8 0.6 0.5 d8 97.9 91.7 81.3 66.7 47.9 37.5 24.7 22.2 18.4 14.4 10.4 8.9 6.9 4.9 2.9 2.5 1.8 1.6 1.4 1.1 0.8 d10 98.3 93.3 85.0 73.3 58.3 50.0 39.7 28.9 17.5 15.0 11.5 10.6 9.2 7.7 6.3 4.9 3.4 2.5 1.4 1.3 1.1 d12 98.6 94.4 87.5 77.8 65.3 58.3 49.8 40.7 31.3 21.3 10.9 10.9 9.8 8.7 7.6 6.4 5.3 4.6 3.8 3.1 2.3 NPC - No Wild Die - Percent chance of success TN 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 d4 75.0 50.0 25.0 25.0 18.8 12.5 6.3 6.3 4.7 3.1 1.6 1.6 1.2 0.8 0.4 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1 0.1 0.1 d6 83.3 66.7 50.0 33.3 16.7 16.7 13.9 11.1 8.3 5.6 2.8 2.8 2.3 1.9 1.4 0.9 0.5 0.5 0.4 0.3 0.2 d8 87.5 75.0 62.5 50.0 37.5 25.0 12.5 12.5 10.9 9.4 7.8 6.3 4.7 3.1 1.6 1.6 1.4 1.2 1.0 0.8 0.6 d10 90.0 80.0 70.0 60.0 50.0 40.0 30.0 20.0 10.0 10.0 9.0 8.0 7.0 6.0 5.0 4.0 3.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 0.9 d12 91.7 83.3 75.0 66.7 58.3 50.0 41.7 33.3 25.0 16.7 8.3 8.3 7.6 6.9 6.3 5.6

(Edit: Well attempting to copy the aboveboard table didn't work out very well, but you can see it better at the link below.)
            The above table can be reviewed at https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...er-should-know

The progression should probably be more like: d4, d6, d8, d4+wild die, d10, d6+wild die, d8+wild die. The wild die can really make having a progression of probabilities tricky to figure out if some levels of the progression use the wild die, and others do not.

Comment

Following on wmarshal:
              d4 - 25% success
              d6 - 50%
              d8 - 62.5%
              d10 - 70%
              d12 - 75%
              Wild d4 - 62.5%
              Wild d6 - 75%
              Wild d8 - 81.25%
              Wild d10 - 85%
              Wild d12 - 87.5%

As you can see, a d4 with a Wild Die has the same chances of success (but lower chances of a Raise) as just a d8. Similarly, a d6 with a Wild Die is as reliable as just a d12, though the d12 is much more likely to get a Raise.

Getting a Wild Die is a huge advantage. If characters can spend the same resources to have assistance from an Extra d8 or a Wild Card d4 then they have a tough choice. But if fewer resources still gets the Wild Card then the Wild Card is the correct choice in 98.4% of cases.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

On page 140 of the setting book there is an example of a neutron missile being used. In the example it is mentioned that the neutron missile has an AP value of 6. I cannot find the AP value for the neutron missile (or any other missile) described anywhere else in the book. Are some of the space ship weapon descriptions missing?

Comment

Looking at the ship stats it seems that they are built using a different scale for toughness and damage, but this doesn't seem to be explicitly stated. For example, a ship may have it's toughness rated as 14(10) with the Coulborn shield providing 10 points of armor. If the Coulborn shield is down then the ship's toughness is only 4, which is less than the average human. Similarly, it's hard to believe that any person could survive being hit by a ship mounted heavy laser canon. If you're applying a different scale to the space ships you might want to state this explicitly.

Comment

I'm between airports so it's difficult for me to reply to all these excellent points right now. In a day or so I hope to get to all of them!

I believe the pricing you give for the assistant skill modules might need modification. Skill modules with a wild die are more effective than a skill module with a higher skill, but no wild die to a point.
                    Regarding the die progression for assistants, you're right. I got inspiration for the Assistant riles module from the Wrist Computers rules in the Daring Tales of The Space Lanes rules supplement. I just rechecked it and it also makes these unbalanced assumptions. Oh well, lousy excuse I'll get this rebalanced before sending it to printers.
                    Last edited by luisto; 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Regarding the assistants' skills might I suggest a simpler progression of just 4 levels (using 1 module slot per level) going from d4 to d10 without a wild die? If there is room in the setting book, if you want to retain an option for an assistant to have a wild die maybe this could be done with an edge.

Perfectly Bonded Assistant
                      Requirements: Wild Card
                      The character's Assistant has synchronized itself so well to it's human owner that it has a perfect understanding of the owner's intentions and goals, and an improved capacity to operate in the society humanity has created granting the Assistant a Wild Die when performing skill checks.

Comment

• luisto
                        luisto commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Today several updates to the PDFs were posted. One of them included a new Edge for Assistants and the Wild Die that is somewhat similar to this one!
                        There is also an errata post in the Seven Worlds website at http://www.sevenworldsrpg.com/errata that mentions Assistants and the Edge.

Is there planned a specific Players book?

Comment

Originally posted by wmarshal View Post
                        Looking at the ship stats it seems that they are built using a different scale for toughness and damage, but this doesn't seem to be explicitly stated. For example, a ship may have it's toughness rated as 14(10) with the Coulborn shield providing 10 points of armor.
                        Ship stats are balanced toward a lot of armor and very little base toughness. This is by design, as we assume a realistic setting where the level of kinetic energy will obliterate any kind of physical protection a ship has. That's why the Coulborne Shield is so important.

The fact that toughness and armor are balanced differently is mentioned on page 133, in the section that explains Toughness: "Note that most of the ship’s Toughness is due to the armor, not to the hull itself."

Originally posted by wmarshal View Post
                        If the Coulborn shield is down then the ship's toughness is only 4, which is less than the average human. Similarly, it's hard to believe that any person could survive being hit by a ship mounted heavy laser canon. If you're applying a different scale to the space ships you might want to state this explicitly.
                        All ships have the "Heavy Armor" Special Note added (Savage Worlds Deluxe, page 66). Thus, there is no need to compare ship and human toughness as per Savage Worlds they already operate differently. All weapons have the Heavy Weapon (HW) characteristic as well. Thus, ship and human toughness scales are completely independent. Note that Heavy Weapons CAN damage humans, again as per SWD.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfort View Post
                          Is there planned a specific Players book?
                          Hadn't really considered it. If there's enough interest, though, I could work on making a sub-section of the Setting Guide, players-only, available

Comment

Originally posted by luisto View Post
                            All ships have the "Heavy Armor" Special Note added (Savage Worlds Deluxe, page 66). Thus, there is no need to compare ship and human toughness as per Savage Worlds they already operate differently. All weapons have the Heavy Weapon (HW) characteristic as well. Thus, ship and human toughness scales are completely independent. Note that Heavy Weapons CAN damage humans, again as per SWD.
                            So, any yahoo with a Barrett Light Fifty (found in the core rules) can reliably kill a space ship if the Coulborne Shield is down, and it is a reasonable (2d10, AP 4, HW) weapon for killing space craft even if the Coulborne Shield is up (average 12.2 damage, AP 4, Heavy Weapon, versus Toughness 14 (10) forces an Out of Control roll with every hit).
                            Last edited by ValhallaGH; 12-18-2017, 02:59 PM.
                            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
                            X