Post Apoc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Apoc

My group has been doing DnD, and has expressed interest in a post apoc game sometime in the future. What all is there for SW along those lines?
    I know of:
    • SW Darwin's World and ran the d20 version
    • Day of Ragnorak is sort of post apoc, I think.
    • Hell on Earth of course.
    • Broken Earth
    Are there any others? Any suggestions or thoughts on which I should persue?

My players have some familiarity with the Deadlands settings, having played DLC. And I ran a d20 Darwin's world game.

There's a couple Fallout conversions floating around (I think DoctorBoson did one that looked really good), and 3 Generations After the End is available for free on DriveThruRPG.

Comment

If they're familiar with the setting of HOE then I'd recommend HOE:R. I ran a campaign of that for a year or two, mainly focused on The Worm's Turn PPC, but with some great side stories inspired by the various characters and the insane things my players want to do. I even got to dust off some of my Classic resources for adventures, information, and inspirations. The one-on-one match between the Damocles soldier and the S-Mart Overlord was an entire session that everyone was exhausted by. It was epic.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I know deadlands, and 1/2 my group were players in my game, but all I know of HOE is what i've picked up here and there.
        Thanks for the tip on 3 Generations, that could be a good resource no matter how I go.
        I've read some good reviews of SW Darwin's world and Broken Earth, does anyone happen to know, is BE a 20 years after type, or more of a 100s of years after?

Comment

Broken Earth is set about eighty years after a near future (twenty years) apocalypse. Long enough that all the survivors have died of age, disease, or violence but recent enough that supplies can reasonably still exist. Races are humans, true breeding mutants called freaks, human-smart chimps called simians, and infiltrator robots called synths. There are three arcane backgrounds (two standard and one new one), a host of background, combat, and professional edges, some new hindrances, and some new setting rules.
          The fluff is generally great, sometimes excellent. There's a lot of information about the various described settlements, societies, and proto-cultures. There are even a number of location-focused events to build plots and adventures out of.
          The bestiary has a lot of errors in it, which implies that the conversion wasn't very good. So, you'll either need to live with a lot of randomly inflated stats for your critters or do a lot of double-checking to make sure they are fair.

Can't help much with Darwin's World since I don't have my copy available. My recollection is that it was a lot like Broken Earth, but slimmer since it didn't detail a specific setting, just a bunch of setting rules and gear for an apocalyptic setting.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

If you're okay with third party companion books, a good one is the Apocalypse Campaign Guide by Daring Entertainment. It includes a lot of rules, setting creation advice and other stuff of varying level of detail that mesh very well with the core system design. Example: Crafting rules that fit perfectly into the core gameplay and use knowledge skills as crafting skills.

It is more or less the "Apocolypse Companion", despite being third party.

Comment

• Doomande
              Doomande commented
              Editing a comment
              I helped kickstart this book, and I am loving what I got from my money! It takes the Darwin's World settlement rules and build so much stuff on top of them

Daring also did War of the Dead - an extensive PPC starting at the outbreak of the Zombie Apocalypse, World of the Dead which moves the ZOMPOC timeline forward 4 years (more about survival and growing survivor communities - Zombies are more of an environmental hazard than the main threat) and Hellbrood which is Super Heroes combating an Alien invasion.

Comment

Working...
            X