Frameworks vs supers question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frameworks vs supers question

I want to write a a setting for Savage Worlds and had two questions. Are “Frameworks “ going to be used In other settings? Are they a available to be used in 3rd party settings? Is using the Supers Companion a better option?

Also if this is posted in wrong category, I apologize.

As far as I know, Iconic Frameworks are only officially a Rifts thing. But I can't imagine why a 3rd party setting couldn't use the concept.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Iconic Frameworks are only a Rifts thing. There are a couple of settings that use similar concepts, but only one I can recall. Streets of Bedlam uses Archetypes that grant a ton of thematic benefits; badly balanced but very fitting.
      I think Mr. Blair went on to use the system a second time but I can't confirm that.

Choosing between Frameworks and the Superpowers Companion (SPC) is a matter of what your goals are. And you might be best served choosing neither.
      What kind of setting are you trying to create? Why are the characters so powerful? Is the power level of the setting actually so high that the core rules are insufficient? Do characters fall into a finite number of archetypes, making a classification system like Frameworks a good fit, or are the possible combinations practically infinite?
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

My setting is fantasy but I as I go through what I want characters to be able to do have some flexibility with what powers can do. Casters can do things that others with powers cannot do... Or have great access to magic in the setting... I maybe able to accomplish this with setting rules, like a modified Power Tricks setting rule?

Comment

One of the easiest ways to make casters distinctive is to make Arcane Background only available at character creation. If you're not born a mage then you'll never be a mage.
          Then there are specialized Edges that are only available to casters, and it is common to create a few for a specific setting.

As for flexibility, the High Adventure setting rule is a great model. Being able to spend a benny to gain a one-time use of a new power is a powerful setting rule and one that gives casters an incredible amount of flexibility and power.

But that's advice for a setting where a peasant with a pitchfork is a legitimate (if minor) threat to most player characters.

Based upon what you've said, it sounds like you want to run a Supers Fantasy campaign. A high-power fantasy world with characters that would be superheroes in a more modern setting. The Super Sorcery power provides a balance of power and flexibility to super-wizards.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

As a note

Freedom Squadron also uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Swagbelly View Post
              I want to write a setting for Savage Worlds and had two questions. Are “Frameworks “ going to be used In other settings? Are they available to be used in 3rd party settings? Is using the Supers Companion a better option?
              Well, that's three questions.

Are Frameworks going to be used in other settings?
              Very likely. A few settings besides Rifts already use them in one form or another. As for future projects, I personally haven't heard anything explicitly announced... and one would have to be a mind-reader to know otherwise.

Are they available to be used in 3rd party settings?
              Yes. The thing about Iconic Frameworks is that they are merely an idea: a collection of positive and negative abilities offered as a package. Copyright law does not extend to protecting "ideas" or game mechanics. You can use Frameworks in your own setting without fear of a lawsuit.

I would caution you on use of trademarks though. The term "Iconic Framework" can be seen as being a trademark of Pinnacle (even if they never register it---in fact, Pinnacle has many un-registered trademarks with every Edge, Hindrance, power name, and Setting Rule---that's what the licensing agreement allows you to use). If you were to use the idea of Frameworks in your setting, I'd suggest a different name. "Classes" is term that has slipped into public domain, and probably accurately represents what you want.

Is using the Supers Companion a better option?
              Hard to say without knowing more about what you are going for. Frameworks take the core rules and crank them way past 11... the Super Powers Companion is more geared toward fulfilling a power fantasy.

Also if this is posted in wrong category, I apologize.
              Yeah, it kinda is.
              This sub-forum is generally reserved for official third-party publications to announce their news, updates, and answer community questions.

This topic should have gone into the General Chat forum. For future reference, 9 out of 10 times a topic is probably going to be General Chat. If you just want to talk about a rule, or pitch a general question to the community, that's where to do it. If you want to get an "official" answer from the Head Honchos that designed the game, one of the two "Official Answers..." forums is where to do that.

If you ever get a demo of your setting written up and want feedback on it, post in the Homebrew forum (unless you happened to secure an Ace License, then you can post here, in Third Party Licensees).

Note that both Deadlands and Rifts have their own separate sections, and questions/discussions that are solely about those settings should be posted in their respective forum.

_______

With all that said, Welcome to the Savage Worlds forums!
              We look forward to hearing more from you. And keep us posted on your setting.

Cheers!
              Last edited by Deskepticon; 01-24-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X