X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEGClint
    replied
    Originally posted by Tavis View Post
    While these may be core rules in the future, at the moment they are setting rules...

With the altered rules in Flash Gordon, and a reasonable amount of talk about the use/lack of use of Taunt and Intimidate relating to them having an edge to assist the roll, where other Traits don't, I got to wondering ...

What about other bonuses that can affect the Traits in question?

Gang Up bonus is defined as a bonus to "the attackers' Fighting rolls, up to a maximum of +4", granted there is space there to argue that it defines the bonus as being provided to attackers, and a Trick may not be strictly defined as an attack. (A Quick round of sequential shoulder tapping, as the unfortunate target turns around and around, ready to face a final Haymaker)

Florentine grants a bonus to "Fighting rolls against an opponent with a single weapon and no shield" - no mention of attacking is made there, so would that also apply to tricks? (You will never avoid BOTH of my flashing blades!)

The same applies to Trademark Weapon (which presumably applies to Fighting, Shooting, and Athletics now - which also begs the question, can a character use a Trademark Quarterstaff as a Balance bar to help them balance, for example?) (You may think you are out of reach ... but if my Customised Electro Whip can just touch that pool of water you are standing in ...)

As Thievery is an Agility skill,does the Thief edge add to tricks performed as a matter of 'Sleight of Hand' (So, you want the antidote? It's here in my hand ... or is it?)

Would Scholar give a bonus to a Test of Wills using an appropriate Knowledge Skill (Anything from spouting Scientific Formulae to confuse someone to something physical like charging coils of wire with a shockstick to create an electomagnet and drag the warlord's steel armour towards it)

Persuasion and Performance are both usually modified by Charisma, so would Tests of Will using those Traits also benefit from Attractiveness, Charismatic, Noble and any other, and suffer penalties from Ugly, Habit, etc.?

Would Woodsman give a bonus to using Survival as a Test of Wills (The pollen from those plants they are standing next to can cause uncontrollable sneezing ... and I know just how to make the plants release it)

There are probably many more examples, but as a Trick is now Strength, Agility, and any related skill, and a Test of Wills is Smarts, Spirit, and any related skill, does any edge (or for that matter, any situation, item or racial trait) that gives a flat bonus to one of the related skills, also give a bonus to performing a Trick or Test of Wills using that Attribute or Skill?
    If a bonus applies unilaterally to a skill, then it would apply to that skill use for a Trick or Test of Will. But if there is a specified use listed, then it only applies then or not at all if the use is a specific action other than a Trick or Test of Will.

Florentine for example provides a +1 to Fighting rolls against a viable opponent. Since it doesn't specify a specific use just a condition, the bonus could apply to a Trick but only against a viable target.

Gang Up, Wild Attack, and similar maneuvers note the bonus applying to an attack or attackers' rolls, so they only apply when making an attack using the skill not for Tricks.

Hope that helps and clarifies!

Leave a comment:

• Tavis
    started a topic Flash Gordon - Modifiers to Tricks and Tests of Will

Flash Gordon - Modifiers to Tricks and Tests of Will

While these may be core rules in the future, at the moment they are setting rules...

With the altered rules in Flash Gordon, and a reasonable amount of talk about the use/lack of use of Taunt and Intimidate relating to them having an edge to assist the roll, where other Traits don't, I got to wondering ...

What about other bonuses that can affect the Traits in question?

Gang Up bonus is defined as a bonus to "the attackers' Fighting rolls, up to a maximum of +4", granted there is space there to argue that it defines the bonus as being provided to attackers, and a Trick may not be strictly defined as an attack. (A Quick round of sequential shoulder tapping, as the unfortunate target turns around and around, ready to face a final Haymaker)

Florentine grants a bonus to "Fighting rolls against an opponent with a single weapon and no shield" - no mention of attacking is made there, so would that also apply to tricks? (You will never avoid BOTH of my flashing blades!)

The same applies to Trademark Weapon (which presumably applies to Fighting, Shooting, and Athletics now - which also begs the question, can a character use a Trademark Quarterstaff as a Balance bar to help them balance, for example?) (You may think you are out of reach ... but if my Customised Electro Whip can just touch that pool of water you are standing in ...)

As Thievery is an Agility skill,does the Thief edge add to tricks performed as a matter of 'Sleight of Hand' (So, you want the antidote? It's here in my hand ... or is it?)

Would Scholar give a bonus to a Test of Wills using an appropriate Knowledge Skill (Anything from spouting Scientific Formulae to confuse someone to something physical like charging coils of wire with a shockstick to create an electomagnet and drag the warlord's steel armour towards it)

Persuasion and Performance are both usually modified by Charisma, so would Tests of Will using those Traits also benefit from Attractiveness, Charismatic, Noble and any other, and suffer penalties from Ugly, Habit, etc.?

Would Woodsman give a bonus to using Survival as a Test of Wills (The pollen from those plants they are standing next to can cause uncontrollable sneezing ... and I know just how to make the plants release it)

There are probably many more examples, but as a Trick is now Strength, Agility, and any related skill, and a Test of Wills is Smarts, Spirit, and any related skill, does any edge (or for that matter, any situation, item or racial trait) that gives a flat bonus to one of the related skills, also give a bonus to performing a Trick or Test of Wills using that Attribute or Skill?
Working...
X