ETU - Talismans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETU - Talismans

Okay, we are in our Senior year and one of the PC's has taken Faithful, Supernaturally Evil Creatures subtract 2 from any trait roll that affects the PC. So, tonight that came into play and several questions arose.

1. An NPC attacked using a Zippo Lighter from Hell. The PC with Faithful was in the area of effect, so the -2 to the trait roll applied. As a result of the -2, the activation roll on the talisman failed. Without the -2 penalty, the talisman would have functioned. With the penalty being applied, it would not. So, could the wild card NPC use a bennie to reroll the trait test. Normally a bennie must be used before the outcome of a trait test is known, i.e., you swing, I ask if you are happy, you say yes & then I say you missed. Too late to use the bennie. Conversely, in other trait test, it is know whether the roll worked or not, i.e., make a soak roll. You know if the roll succeeded or failed & can decide whether or not to use a second bennie. Also, it seems that normally a spell caster knows if the spell cast functions, though not if it has been resisted of resistance applies. I would assume that the same holds true when activating a talisman. The person doing the activation knows if the activation has achieved a basic success or not, after all modifiers have been applied (including things like Faithful or magic resistance) & at that point may decide whether or not to use a bennie, though that may indeed not be true.

2. If the NPC is evil, and before being interrupted, was actively involved in the preparation of a ritual of black magic, is the use of a talisman casting burst, an attack by a supernaturally evil creature? The NPC is human, a member of Neo-Birkhuhm & is in service to a supernatural evil villain (Dr.Heimglimmer from Resurrection of the Black Guard). So, in that case does the edge Faithful come into play? Is the use of magic (that is not itself a form of black magic) from an item that is being wielded by human with free will supernaturally evil, if in so doing he is serving the cause of a supernaturally evil creature?

Originally posted by FBatton View Post
    Okay, we are in our Senior year and one of the PC's has taken Faithful, Supernaturally Evil Creatures subtract 2 from any trait roll that affects the PC. So, tonight that came into play and several questions arose.

1. An NPC attacked using a Zippo Lighter from Hell. The PC with Faithful was in the area of effect, so the -2 to the trait roll applied. As a result of the -2, the activation roll on the talisman failed. Without the -2 penalty, the talisman would have functioned. With the penalty being applied, it would not.
    First off, the penalty from Faithful wouldn't have applied to begin with. Note that it doesn't any Trait roll that affects the character but "Supernaturally evil creatures subtract 2 from any Trait roll directly affecting the character." An Area Effect attack does not directly affect the character. It affects the area and does not care about what's in it.

So, could the wild card NPC use a bennie to reroll the trait test. Normally a bennie must be used before the outcome of a trait test is known, i.e., you swing, I ask if you are happy, you say yes & then I say you missed. Too late to use the bennie. Conversely, in other trait test, it is know whether the roll worked or not, i.e., make a soak roll. You know if the roll succeeded or failed & can decide whether or not to use a second bennie. Also, it seems that normally a spell caster knows if the spell cast functions, though not if it has been resisted of resistance applies. I would assume that the same holds true when activating a talisman. The person doing the activation knows if the activation has achieved a basic success or not, after all modifiers have been applied (including things like Faithful or magic resistance) & at that point may decide whether or not to use a bennie, though that may indeed not be true.
    Other than for Opposed Rolls (which have a specific rule regarding the spending of Bennies), a player should (almost) always know the result of the roll before spending a Benny. Bennies are a player mechanic and reward, not a character one, so the player should have full knowledge of the result even if their character might not.

So yeah, a player (including the GM for NPCs) could always choose to spend a Benny if the rolled failed regardless of the reason.

2. If the NPC is evil, and before being interrupted, was actively involved in the preparation of a ritual of black magic, is the use of a talisman casting burst, an attack by a supernaturally evil creature? The NPC is human, a member of Neo-Birkhuhm & is in service to a supernatural evil villain (Dr.Heimglimmer from Resurrection of the Black Guard). So, in that case does the edge Faithful come into play? Is the use of magic (that is not itself a form of black magic) from an item that is being wielded by human with free will supernaturally evil, if in so doing he is serving the cause of a supernaturally evil creature?
    Generally, a human would need to have an Arcane Background to be affected as "supernaturally evil," but in ETU, "black magic" is definitely bad. Still, just using it doesn't innately make a person bad, but I would say if they have suffered Corruption (and are definitely evil) then they'd count as supernaturally evil as long as the corruption lasts. Since evil folks are more likely to use black magic, it's possible they're usually under some corruption effect.

But in the end, the decision really comes down to the Dean's call. It takes more than just being evil, there has to be a supernatural touch to it as well.

Hope that helps!
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X