[50F] Storms and damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [50F] Storms and damage

The Explorers Edition seems pretty clear on how this goes: Your ship takes damage every round according to the card you've drawn and outcome of the Boating roll decides if crewmen go over board or not.
    However, I've been told by players who played 50 Fathoms for a longer time that the damage only applies when you miss the Boating roll. Supposedly there was an errata or official statement about that somewhere and it was "correct" in the older versions, but I sadly haven't found anything about that.
    So – can I avert taking damage with the Boating roll, or does the ship take damage in a storm no matter what?

Edit: To be more specific, I own the PDF version bought at DriveThruRPG which was updated at the 18th of January, 2012. I was told that in the print versions, there's a sentence saying the captain rolls Boating to avoid taking damage. This sentence is missing in the PDF. Since this is most up-to-date edition, I assume the sentence was taken out deliberately, but I'm not sure at all.
    Last edited by Vasant; 10-10-2017, 08:55 AM.

Originally posted by Vasant View Post
    The Explorers Edition seems pretty clear on how this goes: Your ship takes damage every round according to the card you've drawn and outcome of the Boating roll decides if crewmen go over board or not.
    However, I've been told by players who played 50 Fathoms for a longer time that the damage only applies when you miss the Boating roll. Supposedly there was an errata or official statement about that somewhere and it was "correct" in the older versions, but I sadly haven't found anything about that.
    So – can I avert taking damage with the Boating roll, or does the ship take damage in a storm no matter what?

Edit: To be more specific, I own the PDF version bought at DriveThruRPG which was updated at the 18th of January, 2012. I was told that in the print versions, there's a sentence saying the captain rolls Boating to avoid taking damage. This sentence is missing in the PDF. Since this is most up-to-date edition, I assume the sentence was taken out deliberately, but I'm not sure at all.
    You are correct, so there's no "errata" to be found. Ships take damage if in a storm, it's what storms do. The roll just keeps the sailors on the ship (or avoiding debris). [Note: Just to be clear, "round" in this case is each 30 minute increment used for Storms. Captains don't roll 300 times per half hour. ]

It's easy to see why an Air or Water mage with Settle Storm is so important now, right.

Hope that helps.

Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X