Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [FG] Weird Science

I had two questions:

Bennies: Say a Weird Scientist gives an item to another PC that still requires a Weird Science Roll. In the Devices section the example with Hanz and Flash indicates the creator (Hans) rolls the dice. If the result is poor, who spends the bennie on the reroll? Hans' Player or Flashes (presuming no Common Bond, etc)? I presume Flash's since that player is triggering the device but wanted to confirm.

Power Points: The update to WS looks to me to expand the core approach. But the wording in the example gave me pause (if Hanz makes the roll, and pays he power point cost vs. the device (although the wording oddly indicates that if it fails there is no PP cost - I presume they would lose points as normal)). I just want to confirm what the FG rules are doing is taking the Core rules and allowing a player to split up their PPs for a Power among multiple devices.

Example:
    A PC has Deflection and Bolt as powers. The PC has 20 PPs. The PC could make one Deflection Device and one Bolt Device, each with a 20 PPs pool. Or (for example) they could make 2 Deflection Devices with 10PPs each, and 4 Bolt Guns with 5 PPs each. Mainly, I just wanted to confirm that FG was NOT changing the core such that you have 20PPs that you can spread across all devices regardless of Powers.

Thanks.

Jeffrey...
    Left is Death!

Originally posted by amerigoV View Post
    Bennies: Say a Weird Scientist gives an item to another PC that still requires a Weird Science Roll. In the Devices section the example with Hanz and Flash indicates the creator (Hans) rolls the dice. If the result is poor, who spends the bennie on the reroll? Hans' Player or Flashes (presuming no Common Bond, etc)? I presume Flash's since that player is triggering the device but wanted to confirm.
    Nope. Players can spend Bennies on their own rolls not the rolls of others. It doesn't matter which character activates the device, the roll is made by the player, so that player decides to spend the Benny or not.

Basically, Bennies are a meta-mechanic. They're something players (and the GM) have, not something characters have.

Originally posted by amerigoV View Post
    Power Points: The update to WS looks to me to expand the core approach. But the wording in the example gave me pause (if Hanz makes the roll, and pays he power point cost vs. the device (although the wording oddly indicates that if it fails there is no PP cost - I presume they would lose points as normal)). I just want to confirm what the FG rules are doing is taking the Core rules and allowing a player to split up their PPs for a Power among multiple devices.

Example:
    A PC has Deflection and Bolt as powers. The PC has 20 PPs. The PC could make one Deflection Device and one Bolt Device, each with a 20 PPs pool. Or (for example) they could make 2 Deflection Devices with 10PPs each, and 4 Bolt Guns with 5 PPs each. Mainly, I just wanted to confirm that FG was NOT changing the core such that you have 20PPs that you can spread across all devices regardless of Powers.
    Nope. It's just the AB as listed in Flash Gordon. So a starting character has 10 PPs and could divide those as they wish between their two powers. They could put all 10 into one or split them between the two and even between multiple devices using those two, but they don't get 10 PPs to split between devices for each power.

So a character with Confusion and Healing could make a 3 PP Confusion Medium Burst Template "neuro-gas grenade," a larger 4 PP Confusion LBT grenade, and a 3 PP Healing pack. Or two Healing packs and a LBT Confusion. Or a single "neuro-dart gun" with 4 shots (single target Confusion) and two Healing packs. Or any combination. And if they have an hour to "tinker," they can switch their points around.

Hope that helps and clarifies.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X