[ETU] Some beginner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ETU] Some beginner questions

I've recently discovered ETU and I have some questions after my first read throughs.
    1. Exams
      Is there any real drawback to failing exams? I know that if you fail an exam, you get -2 Academics (or Scholarship, post-SWADE) and if your roll was a modified 1, you are on academic probation (-2 to Persuasion with faculty staff, post-SWADE, I suppose, although that is not mentioned in the conversion guide). The -2 on Scholarship obviously doesn't stack as it expires after your next exam (where you might get a new -2 for failing again). And of course you don't get the positive effects from passing an exam.
      But is that it? What happens if you fail your next exam as well? Nothing?
    2. Double Majors: You get -2 on Scholarship but basically have 2 chances to pass exams? Is that the gist of it?
    3. Starting gear: Everyone gets the same starting gear (car depending on wealth) and anything else you want has to be payed from your first semester allowance? So your first semester allowance is basically your starting money?

Originally posted by Mootaz View Post
    I've recently discovered ETU and I have some questions after my first read throughs.[LIST=1][*]Exams
    Is there any real drawback to failing exams? I know that if you fail an exam, you get -2 Academics (or Scholarship, post-SWADE) and if your roll was a modified 1, you are on academic probation (-2 to Persuasion with faculty staff, post-SWADE, I suppose, although that is not mentioned in the conversion guide). The -2 on Scholarship obviously doesn't stack as it expires after your next exam (where you might get a new -2 for failing again). And of course you don't get the positive effects from passing an exam.
    But is that it? What happens if you fail your next exam as well? Nothing?
    Italics added to the quoted text above where you hit the major nail on the head. Passing Exams effectively gives the character the equivalent of a "bonus Edge" for the next semester. So, failing means the character loses that bonus and is less likely to get it the next semester too. And a 1 or less result means a –2 to Persuasion with faculty and staff for the next semester too.

Also note under the "Tests Ain't Fair!" sidebar, it also discusses possible impacts of failing. "Still, no matter how much you prepare it’s possible you’ll fail an exam. They aren’t the hero’s total grade though, so even a student who fails moves ahead. He might flunk out on a critical failure or perhaps be required to take Auditing Classes next semester. The final call is up to the Dean. Whatever the result, embrace it. Roleplay it to the hilt!"

[*]Double Majors: You get -2 on Scholarship but basically have 2 chances to pass exams? Is that the gist of it?
    Pretty much. The character gets to roll twice at –2 and take the higher result. Note though, in addition to the penalty, the player also faces two chances to roll a critical failure, and those always take precedence.

[*]Starting gear: Everyone gets the same starting gear (car depending on wealth) and anything else you want has to be payed from your first semester allowance? So your first semester allowance is basically your starting money?
    Basically but to clarify, characters do start with more than just a car before having to pay for anything else.

Per the introduction to Gear, Tools, & Weapons they have the following <italics added>, "Students at ETU are assumed to have already paid for tuition, books, supplies, a laptop computer, living accommodations, and a campus dining hall meal plan. They also have a cell phone, plenty of clothes, books and games, and other normal trappings of modern students. They might have a vehicle as well (see page 23).
    Everything else—and anything bought after play begins—must come from the semester allowance."

Hope that helps!
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X