Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane Background and more oh my!

Hello,

Assuming that the settings allow you to take an arcane background outside of character creation is it possible to take the skill of the spell casting trait during character creation and then later one with an advance use it to get the arcane background edge? Also if that is allowed would that mean you can do tests with their D4 spell casting even though he doesn't technically have any spells yet?

Blarg. I hope this isn't too confusing. I'll use Bob!

Bob takes spell casting untrained to d4 at character creation. Bob, wants some magic later on. Bob advances and then uses it to gain Arcane Background (magic). Bob now has some spells and a D4 casting ability he's able to use.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your hard work.

Originally posted by Lothian View Post
    Assuming that the settings allow you to take an arcane background outside of character creation is it possible to take the skill of the spell casting trait during character creation and then later one with an advance use it to get the arcane background edge? Also if that is allowed would that mean you can do tests with their D4 spell casting even though he doesn't technically have any spells yet?

Blarg. I hope this isn't too confusing. I'll use Bob!

Bob takes spell casting untrained to d4 at character creation. Bob, wants some magic later on. Bob advances and then uses it to gain Arcane Background (magic). Bob now has some spells and a D4 casting ability he's able to use.
    In general, it's possible to take an arcane skill without the Arcane Background Edge, but it could very easily also depend on the setting. In some settings, it might even be required (Deadlands for instance has the arcane skill as one of the Requirements to take the appropriate AB Edge).

Tests are very much up to player creativity and GM adjudication. The character might not be capable of any actual arcane effect, but could distract an opponent by appearing to cast a spell.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X