Reload / Multi-Action question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reload / Multi-Action question

On p105 of the SWADE Core rules under “Reloading” a cool example is given that I never thought about. Using Multi-Action to satisfy a reload then firing. Instead of taking two rounds of one action per, something a person from AD&D would expect, you can “rush” load it at a shooting penalty. I like it a lot.

But then, I got to thinking, if they didn’t want the penalty then it is basically a “fire every other round” weapon a la heavy crossbow in AD&D. I incorrectly first read it as you load for two rounds (RELOAD:2) then first in the third round. But obviously using SWADE rules that would be a waste. Instead, you could take a multi-action for 2 actions to reload it in a single round. Each action would be at “-2”, but of course there is not roll needed to load it so it doesn’t penalize us to do a full reload in a single round. The following round, the xbow can be fired without any penalty (due to reloading anyway).

I believe as I wrote this, it started making sense to me. Originally I thought that was circumventing the intent of it taking “2 rounds” to reload. But now, if I understood the spirit, the reload value of 2 actions is just so one can determine the “cost” were one to try to do it in one round. However, if it were RELOAD:4, there would be a penalty of -2 if they tried to use their max 3 actions on one round to start loading then need to use a multi action of two actions on the firing round.

Is this a correct characterization of how it is done?

Originally posted by Varsuuk View Post
    On p105 of the SWADE Core rules under “Reloading” a cool example is given that I never thought about. Using Multi-Action to satisfy a reload then firing. Instead of taking two rounds of one action per, something a person from AD&D would expect, you can “rush” load it at a shooting penalty. I like it a lot.

But then, I got to thinking, if they didn’t want the penalty then it is basically a “fire every other round” weapon a la heavy crossbow in AD&D. I incorrectly first read it as you load for two rounds (RELOAD:2) then first in the third round. But obviously using SWADE rules that would be a waste. Instead, you could take a multi-action for 2 actions to reload it in a single round. Each action would be at “-2”, but of course there is not roll needed to load it so it doesn’t penalize us to do a full reload in a single round. The following round, the xbow can be fired without any penalty (due to reloading anyway).

I believe as I wrote this, it started making sense to me. Originally I thought that was circumventing the intent of it taking “2 rounds” to reload. But now, if I understood the spirit, the reload value of 2 actions is just so one can determine the “cost” were one to try to do it in one round. However, if it were RELOAD:4, there would be a penalty of -2 if they tried to use their max 3 actions on one round to start loading then need to use a multi action of two actions on the firing round.

Is this a correct characterization of how it is done?
    Pretty much. A higher Reload simply "costs" more of a character's actions in a turn, and increases the MAP if they attempt any actions requiring a Trait roll.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X