Gridded battle maps, moving through enemy squares and blocking questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gridded battle maps, moving through enemy squares and blocking questions

My group and I have been using gridded maps for combat. There isn't a lot of guidance on the subject in the PfSW or SWADE core books. We are currently playing through RotR and there have been quite a few maps with close hallways were a PC or NPC could stand in a doorway or hallway and block it. The only place that I can find to in the PfSW core book that addresses this situation is on page 140 in the Dungeoneering sidebar under Support bullet. In the Support section it's really only talks about the subject as an aside to supporting another character. For me this really brings up two questions.

1. Is moving through a square (a square is worth 2 yards or 6ft) occupied by an opponent automatically resisted (meaning an opponent can't move through the square without a test)?

2. The example in the Support section mentioned about means that removing a block is a test. Is blocking an action or just something that happens due to positioning?

Note. We have been assuming that you can't enter an enemies square without a Athletics Test and blocking a door or hallway as automatic and a Athletics or Strength test is needed to move past or move them.

Originally posted by Jason_Sunday View Post
    My group and I have been using gridded maps for combat. There isn't a lot of guidance on the subject in the PfSW or SWADE core books. We are currently playing through RotR and there have been quite a few maps with close hallways were a PC or NPC could stand in a doorway or hallway and block it. The only place that I can find to in the PfSW core book that addresses this situation is on page 140 in the Dungeoneering sidebar under Support bullet. In the Support section it's really only talks about the subject as an aside to supporting another character. For me this really brings up two questions.

1. Is moving through a square (a square is worth 2 yards or 6ft) occupied by an opponent automatically resisted (meaning an opponent can't move through the square without a test)?

2. The example in the Support section mentioned about means that removing a block is a test. Is blocking an action or just something that happens due to positioning?

Note. We have been assuming that you can't enter an enemies square without a Athletics Test and blocking a door or hallway as automatic and a Athletics or Strength test is needed to move past or move them.
    A character can move through an ally's space (if the GM allows based on the situation), but it would at least count as Difficult Ground (use 2" of Pace for 1" of movement).

A character cannot typically move through a space occupied by a foe, again unless the GM allows it based on the situation. For example, a character of a small enough Scale might be able to move through the space of a creature of a larger Scale (for example, a Very Small housecat might be able to move through the space of a Normal Scale human or the same human might be able to move through the space of a Huge giant spider). Or if an opponent was Prone, the GM might allow a character to attempt to jump through the space (and over the foe). Whatever the GM thinks is viable.

Th example mentioned doesn't actually refer to a "Test" but to the Push maneuver which specifically forces a target into another space. That of course would open up the space they were in for movement.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X