Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stealth and Surprise Rules Clarification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth and Surprise Rules Clarification?

I am seeking clarification on how Stealth & Surprise work Rules As Written (RAW). Below is an example on how 1.) our group has been using Stealth & Surprise 2.) how I believe it Stealth & Surprise should work. Is one correct? Are both approaches incorrect? If so what is correct? (I did do a Google search prior to posting this and did not find a satisfactory answer.)
    1. Example: Attacker makes stealth roll, succeeds, is now on Hold, draws an action card to see if it's a Joker. Two guards are on post actively looking for intruders and make opposed Notice rolls to see if they are Surprised. One guard succeeded, one guard failed. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card and in this case would be Vulnerable. The guard that succeeded is now on hold, draws an Action Card to see if the guard gets a Joker and makes an opposed Athletics roll with the Attacker who is on Hold to see who goes first. (I must admit this method has led to some interesting outcomes but I believe it nerfs Stealth because the free attack is lost).

2. Example: Attacker makes a stealth roll, succeeds, draws an action card to see it's a Joker. Two guards are on post, actively looking for intruders and make opposed Notice rolls to see if they are Surprised. One guard succeeded one guard failed. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card and in this case would be Vulnerable. The guard that succeeded gets an action card. The Attacker comes off Hold and resolves his attack. The round then starts as normal between the Attacker and the guard that succeeded. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card for this first round of Combat. Next round everyone would get to draw an action card as per normal combat.

Originally posted by Tripp View Post
    I am seeking clarification on how Stealth & Surprise work Rules As Written (RAW). Below is an example on how 1.) our group has been using Stealth & Surprise 2.) how I believe it Stealth & Surprise should work. Is one correct? Are both approaches incorrect? If so what is correct? (I did do a Google search prior to posting this and did not find a satisfactory answer.)

Example: Attacker makes stealth roll, succeeds, is now on Hold, draws an action card to see if it's a Joker. Two guards are on post actively looking for intruders and make opposed Notice rolls to see if they are Surprised. One guard succeeded, one guard failed. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card and in this case would be Vulnerable. The guard that succeeded is now on hold, draws an Action Card to see if the guard gets a Joker and makes an opposed Athletics roll with the Attacker who is on Hold to see who goes first. (I must admit this method has led to some interesting outcomes but I believe it nerfs Stealth because the free attack is lost).

2. Example: Attacker makes a stealth roll, succeeds, draws an action card to see it's a Joker. Two guards are on post, actively looking for intruders and make opposed Notice rolls to see if they are Surprised. One guard succeeded one guard failed. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card and in this case would be Vulnerable. The guard that succeeded gets an action card. The Attacker comes off Hold and resolves his attack. The round then starts as normal between the Attacker and the guard that succeeded. The guard that failed does not get an Action Card for this first round of Combat. Next round everyone would get to draw an action card as per normal combat.
    Example #2 would be more accurate. Characters who are surprised but make the Notice roll are "dealt in as usual," and "the ambushers are automatically on Hold."

The only issue might be this sentence, "The round then starts as normal between the Attacker and the guard that succeeded" because the round already started when the attacker went off Hold.

So just to clarify, the round starts, the attacker comes off Hold, and he resolves his attack (or any other actions). He is taking his turn for the round. He does not get an attack and then "the round starts as normal" with him getting another turn.

[I'd also add one other aspect which works differently here. The guard that fails is Vulnerable until the end of the attacker's turn. So if the attacker does not attack that guard immediately, the Vulnerable goes away as they know the attacker is there now.]

Hope that helps and clarifies!
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X