Sweep edge & Agility Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweep edge & Agility Tests

I have recently been informed that sweep requires an "attack" & that sweeping a groups legs with a staff as a test to knock them prone is not a viable option RAW? I can use a called shot to slice everybody off at the ankles with a sword, but not sweep a staff etc at my enemies legs forcing them to move or use a staff to do a push maneuver on multiple foes? Is that right or is my GM's reading correct that it is possible to use the sweep edge to test multiple enemies at once or use the push maneuver to once again test multiple foes?

Originally posted by Kellary View Post
    I have recently been informed that sweep requires an "attack" & that sweeping a groups legs with a staff as a test to knock them prone is not a viable option RAW? I can use a called shot to slice everybody off at the ankles with a sword, but not sweep a staff etc at my enemies legs forcing them to move or use a staff to do a push maneuver on multiple foes? Is that right or is my GM's reading correct that it is possible to use the sweep edge to test multiple enemies at once or use the push maneuver to once again test multiple foes?
    Per Sweep <italics added>, "Sweep allows a character to make a single Fighting attack and apply it against all targets in his Reach..."

So, the Edge does specifically apply to an "attack" against all targets within Reach and does not just make any action using Fighting into effectively an Area Effect action.

And to cover some other points, it also doesn't allow the character to use Fighting instead of Strength or Athletics to perform a Push maneuver. Nor would it change Tests to allow them to make a target Prone (a successful Test makes the target Distracted or Vulnerable not Prone).

Now, all that said, two other points for consideration. The GM can of course make any call they want, and could simply allow a Sweep attack made with a Called Shot to the legs to potentially knock a target Prone in addition to doing damage (they could use the same rules as for Disarm).

Secondly, the GM could also make up their own Edge to allow a Sweep attack to be used for a Test instead and even add as part of the Edge the option to knock a target Prone in lieu of Distracted or Vulnerable. Make Sweep a Requirement, call it "Kncok 'Em Over," and it's done.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X